Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Explain this one to me.  

image.png.9726936c43b64fd6d8ec6b5da9f9f32a.png

A couple of things.

1. more nature 

2. less strip mining

3. plenty of room for growth of our park system, with zero national parks in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

4. many in need of funding.

It's win-win for the nature loving, tree hugging, climate repairing folks that love the planet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brakeman said:

image.png.9726936c43b64fd6d8ec6b5da9f9f32a.png

A couple of things.

1. more nature 

2. less strip mining

3. plenty of room for growth of our park system, with zero national parks in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

4. many in need of funding.

It's win-win for the nature loving, tree hugging, climate repairing folks that love the planet.

Ok, that's what I was kind of wondering.  I agree with all except number 4.  Not that they don't need funding, but that adding more would just exacerbate the funding problem.  Also, the reason there's a certain cachet that comes with a National Park designation is because National Park status is supposed to be rare.  It's supposed to represent the best of what we have.

We just designated a new park last year, New River Gorge, which is beautiful, but was getting plenty of visitation when it was just a National River and Preserve.  Isle Royale gets the fewest visitors of any park.  Congaree, which is on the east coast and near a ton of major population centers, gets very few as well.  I guess my point is that I don't think creating more parks will draw people away from the gems that are overcrowded, as that cartoon seems to suggest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably a bigger advocate for National Parks than anyone on this board, but it seems to me that parks being crowded isn't because there aren't enough parks to go around.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sure, there is nowhere to go if you have little unvaccinated kiddos.  We live 5 minutes from rock creek NP, it is fantastic  and well funded because of the parkway but underfunded because it is in DC. 

Most people didn't see the covid pandemic coming around the corner or at least they did not care to look.

We have plenty of funding without the even taxing the 1%, we just ended a twenty year "war". That war was a totally unnecessary fucking massive waste of resources.

Let's fund our parks.

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Explain this one to me.  

I took it more to mean that people who are transient or living out of an RV would have more places to stay for cheap/free if there were more national parks. I way to deal with poverty and homelessness. but I could certainly be wrong. it's happened before

I'm glad to see all of these posted.

In addition to some very cutting, insightful cartoons, there are a lot of facile, repeated themes.

Are they talking about Afghanistan? No! The USA! That's kind of run its course.

Texas deserves all the scorn we get.

The sappy stuff about 9/11 is getting too much play, as well. At lest as far as I'm concerned. "Never forget 9/11!" has become sort of weaponized. Not getting worked up about it is like not being in the Christmas spirit every year. Maybe I'm just too on guard about the celebration of victimhood. We seem to be getting pretty close to 9/11 annual clearance sales.

If we need to make sure we don't forget something, maybe we should undo forgetting the Tulsa massacre and all those similar terrorist attacks on US citizens.

I can remember the horror of 9/11 without the prompting of the Aggies celebrating themselves for making their stadium red, white, and blue or a very special Wrestlemania night.

Crotchety.

• Like 1