From The Earth To The Moon

RPM

Forget which thread it was but someone mentioned FTETTM a couple of weeks ago and I found some crappy low res streams online. Decided to dig around some more for better quality and found a used signature edition box set on eBay for $9. That was $9 well spent.

Burned thru 3 episodes last night and about to watch more tonight. Damn this is such a fantastic series. Hanks and Opie knocked it out of the park.

yECLq6UpcldfblPTd2OJmqMDOEC.jpg

One of the best of the HBO series ... regardless of the subject matter.

One of the best of the HBO series ... *because* of the subject matter.

HIGHLY recommend it.  Also, the book "A Man on the Moon" by my friend Andy Chaikin was the source material for that series and is a great read, too.

Edited by RamjetFDO

On 6/15/2018 at 6:56 AM, RamjetFDO said:

One of the best of the HBO series ... regardless of the subject matter.

One of the best of the HBO series ... *because* of the subject matter.

HIGHLY recommend it.  Also, the book "A Man on the Moon" by my friend Andy Chaikin was the source material for that series and is a great read, too.

Wow... of course you're friends with Andy Chaikin.  I read his book after the series came out. Loved it.

FTETTM was the original reason I subscribed to HBO way back in the day when I was right out of college. I recorded the series on VHS and watched those crappy VHS copies tons of times.

It's too bad it came out right before HD became widespread and right before the big "prestige TV" boom because I think it's often the forgotten GREAT HBO series.

It's never made its way on to Blu Ray or HD on HBO, which is really too bad.  It was shot on film and framed at 16:9 but apparently the CGI effects weren't originally rendered in HD, which is why it's never been released in HD.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:03 AM, RPM said:

Damn (FTETTM) is such a fantastic series. Hanks and Opie knocked it out of the park.

Thanks for the reminder about this series - need to find time to watch.

Also check out When We Left Earth that aired on Discovery Ch (2008).  All 6, 1-hr episodes are available via Discovery's website (but you need to login with your TV Provider). 

WWLE provides a very broad, yet interesting, overview of the entire space program beginning with the Mercury missions and ending with the International Space Station.

What I thought this series did very well was presenting the issues/challenges that each mission aimed to solve, with each mission building upon the previous mission, which results in steady progression towards the goal of putting a man on the moon and learning more about our galaxy.

• E1: Ordinary Supermen - the Mercury missions
  • E2: Friends and Rivals - the Gemini missions
  • E3: Landing the Eagle - Apollo 1 thru 11
  • E4: The Explorers - Apollo 12 thru 17
  • E5: The Shuttle - the Space Shuttle and the Hubble Space Telescope
  • E6: A Home in Space - Hubble cont. + Int'l Space Station