Disputing a charge

Bevo

Can you dispute a charge that you approved?

I rented a car in Costa Rica at a rate of ~ $300 plus $99 for insurance and used a Sapphire Preferred travel credit card. I took the bus to pick up the car rental and had texted my son to meet us at the car rental place when he arrived on a separate airline. It was about 4:00PM and we still had about an 8hr drive to get to the southern part of the country during rush hour in San Jose. So there weren't any good options to change plans at the last minute.

Payless Car Rental said that our insurance that we purchased wasn't useful and that there was a mandatory insurance for the car at $850 and a temporary hold on the credit card for the week rental of $3000 in addition to the $300 charge for the car. Just for comparison sake, a plane flight charter round trip would have cost $1000 for a party of 4 and would take about 40 minutes. I am interested in disputing the $850 charge.

23 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Have you reached out to Payless to see if the local guy fucked you or that's indeed their policy?   A buddy worked at Enterprise many years ago, and they got credit for all the policies that they sold. 

No, that's good to know. If it is a bs line that the guy used, that is very, very shitty. He said it was mandatory as in I had to do it or we couldn't rent the car. And I didn't just accept his answer.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

No, that's good to know. If it is a bs line that the guy used, that is very, very shitty. He said it was mandatory as in I had to do it or we couldn't rent the car. And I didn't just accept his answer.

Do you still have your contract?  Only TPL, SLI, SLC or API is mandatory in Costa Rica. Everything else is optional. If he sold you something that wasn't one of those dispute it and fuck that guy.

I would also send an email to customerservice@paylesscr.com bitching. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Between this and the Google thing you’re having a bad week.

Shit happens. That review thing was a few months old but I don’t like thinking about stressful things while I’m doing stressful work. It’s better for me to do it when I am more relaxed. 

At work, I spend a lot of time between patients going on surly as a stress reliever. It’s probably the main reason that I visit the site. I’m pretty hyper so I am good at multitasking but I always have a million things to take care of simultaneously. Surly helps keep me from stressing the small stuff. I feel like I still need Yoga/meditation/a good lay though. Anyone know an instructor?

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Shit happens. That review thing was a few months old but I don’t like thinking about stressful things while I’m doing stressful work. It’s better for me to do it when I am more relaxed. 

At work, I spend a lot of time between patients going on surly as a stress reliever. It’s probably the main reason that I visit the site. I’m pretty hyper so I am good at multitasking but I always have a million things to take care of simultaneously. Surly helps keep me from stressing the small stuff. I feel like I still need Yoga/meditation/a good lay though. Anyone know an instructor?

South Austin's mom

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pops said:

Do you still have your contract?  Only TPL, SLI, SLC or API is mandatory in Costa Rica. Everything else is optional. If he sold you something that wasn't one of those dispute it and fuck that guy.

I would also send an email to customerservice@paylesscr.com bitching. 

It sounds like I need to contact the insurance company that I prepaid and see if it is one of the insurance types that you mentioned. That would give me ammunition to use to fight the Payless charges. I assume my travel credit card and USAA car insurance wouldn’t provide such coverage. 

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It sounds like I need to contact the insurance company that I prepaid and see if it is one of the insurance types that you mentioned. That would give me ammunition to use to fight the Payless charges. I assume my travel credit card and USAA car insurance wouldn’t provide such coverage. 

If I recall correctly this types can only be purchased through the car rental company at the time of rental as they are federally required. But dont quote me on that. Basically it is liability insurance covering anyone or anything you hit. But not the car or any belongings or anything. 

It's been a while but rental car insurance is a scam down there. 850 for a week sounds like you got screwed but do some digging if you can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

https://rickywilliams.life/

• Haha 1