Threepeat or Bust: Texas Women’s Tennis 2023

Js1

Tale of the UTR tape: (UNC player v. Texas player)

1. Brantmeier (11.11) v. Khirin (10.88)
2. Crawley (11.33) v. Chavatipon (10.70)
3. Tanguilig (10.83) v. Zeynalova (10.78)
4. Forbes (10.54) v. Pachkaleva (10.36)
5. Scotty (10.55) v. Rivkin (10.14)
6. Tran (10.55) v. Rapolu (10.36)

UNC will be favored in all 6 singles matches. Texas' best path to win are through upsets on line 3, 4, 6, and winning the doubles point. 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

UNC took first sets on 4 courts in singles. Not ideal

Charlotte is doing well to force a third set. As is Khirin and Rapolou. Rivkin just getting slaughtered 

Making the elite 8 was a round further than I expected for this team. Ovrootsky's injury that kept her out for the entire season was difficult enough to overcome, but after Zein quit the team it was pretty much impossible for us to repeat with only 6 scholarship players available. Joffee needs to add a couple of blue chips in the offseason that can play near the top of the lineup.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

#2 aggy were swept in the quarterfinals by Stanford 4-0. Wasn't even that close.....

Aggies will be good next year but this year their fans really billed as 'their year' with a stud USC transfer, Carson Branstine (two time junior grand slam doubles champion) finally having a complete college season after having to sit out two years, an instate girl coming back for a super senior year...only to have Branstine having a season ending injury in the middle of conference. Will be a big 'What if?' for the Ags.

UNC and NCST are playing the champ match on tennis channel right now. Broadcast quality between CrackedRackets v.. Tennis channel is night and day. I didn't realize how hot these UNC women are.....god damn. Shout out To San Antonios Fiona Crawley who would make Charles Barkley eat his words with a churro on the side

On 5/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

UNC and NCST are playing the champ match on tennis channel right now. Broadcast quality between CrackedRackets v.. Tennis channel is night and day. I didn't realize how hot these UNC women are.....god damn. Shout out To San Antonios Fiona Crawley who would make Charles Barkley eat his words with a churro on the side

Personally I find the CrackedRackets coverage earnest but ear screeching. I know the commentator Alex is doing his best but it disrupts the broadcast so much every thirty seconds he's barking at some guy off screen to switch cameras. "Let's go to court 2...no don't put it on the side, I want it on the big screen....wait don't cut out court 5, they're playing a deciding point....."

I remember back in 2008 ESPN was broadcasting the men's final (Georgia vs. Texas). Then in the early 2010s there was a huge push to make NCAA tennis more appealing on TV (cutting doubles to a 6 game set, no warm up for singles, making third sets supertiebreakers if the match has been decided, etc.). Well that hasn't worked, tennis is not more televised. NCAA should be ashamed with how they dealt with tennis coverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Personally I find the CrackedRackets coverage earnest but ear screeching. I know the commentator Alex is doing his best but it disrupts the broadcast so much every thirty seconds he's barking at some guy off screen to switch cameras. "Let's go to court 2...no don't put it on the side, I want it on the big screen....wait don't cut out court 5, they're playing a deciding point....."

I remember back in 2008 ESPN was broadcasting the men's final (Georgia vs. Texas). Then in the early 2010s there was a huge push to make NCAA tennis more appealing on TV (cutting doubles to a 6 game set, no warm up for singles, making third sets supertiebreakers if the match has been decided, etc.). Well that hasn't worked, tennis is not more televised. NCAA should be ashamed with how they dealt with tennis coverage.

I appreciate Alex's passion and enthusiasm for college tennis, but his erratic whiparound coverage of the courts created a stressful viewing experience. I was pleasantly surprised when the womens final aired on TC, but at the same time frustrated that there was no promotion for it. ESPN has mostly moved away from airing pro/college tennis save for a few events here and there, so I think that ship has sailed. Its really up to the NCAA and tennis channel to boost interest in college tennis, and unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith they'll be motivated enough to make progress. 

• 2 weeks later...

#33 was her second to last ITA ranking for this season - the final one comes out tomorrow

Khirin is our highest ranked individual at #75, so.... this would be a really good addition to the roster.

Lots of news the past two weeks:

Unfortunately word is that Khirin is in the transfer portal. While it's not definite (TTU's number one men's player entered and withdrew from the portal), it would make sense scholarship number wise if Sasnouskaya were to transfer in.

ISU's coach has been hired at Clemson. Expect quite a few attrition in that roster.

Both Carmen Corley and Layne Sleeth at OU have opted not to take the extra COVID year. 

Baylor is losing its number one player Alina Shcherbinina to OU.

OSU is gaining Anastasiya Komar (top 10 ranking last season) from LSU.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel stupid I didn’t realize Tanya is Tatsiana the grad transfer. So many Eastern European last names on the roster I just didn’t put it together that she goes by a more Americanized version of her name 

Edited by Js1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like a big signing:

University of Texas Women's Tennis has signed international standout Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz to an Athletic Scholarship Agreement (ASA), head coach Howard Joffe announced Wednesday. Kempenaers-Pocz will enroll and join the program this January.

A native of Glengowrie, Australia, Kempenaers-Pocz is one of the top juniors players in the world with a career high ranking of No. 35, while she has also been ranked as high as No. 760 in singles and No. 447 in doubles by the WTA.

In 2022, Kempenaers-Pocz reached the doubles round of 32 at the Australian Open, while also receiving a qualifying wildcard in singles. Additionally, she played in the doubles rounds of 64 at Roland Garros in 2022 and the Australian Open in 2021.

In juniors, she was both a singles and doubles semifinalist at the 2022 Australian Open. That year, she also played in the singles round of 64 at Roland Garros and the US Open, along with the doubles round of 16 at the US Open, and the round of 32 at Roland Garros.

Professionally, she reached the semifinals of the 2019 W15 Port Pirie in Australia where she faced former Longhorn Lulu Sun, but more recently, she registered wins over two players with career-high WTA rankings better than 165 in Ellen Perez and Himeno Sakatsume at the 2022 W60 Canberra in Australia.

Kempenaers-Pocz also won five ITF juniors titles with three in singles and two in doubles, including taking both at the J3 Gold Coast in Australia in 2021.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't created a 2024 womens tennis thread because I knew it would be too gloomy. Today was Texas' season opener against UCLA, and we defaulted two singles lines. Even during the disastrous Danielle Lund McNamara era, I can't recall the team defaulting 2 singles lines. The two new players who Joffee supposedly brought in for the spring are still not on the roster for reasons unknown. Regardless, with 8 available scholarships, it is unacceptable to ever default one line of singles, let alone two. 

As for my brief season preview, I don't expect much from this team. Even if Kempenaers-Pocz and Lieberman (who is barely a D1 level player) are eligible to play later on this season, OKST is still the favorite to win the conference as they have the 3 best players in the conference on their roster based on UTR. OU/Texas/UCF/Texas Tech/Baylor are all in contention for 2nd place, but if Texas only has 4 or 5 healthy bodies this year, they could finish in the middle of the pack.

This team's peak if everything goes right/team gets healthy by May is Elite 8. Floor is missing the tournament. My prediction is a sweet 16 finish.

Edited by perfectchaos007