Flying into Oakland/San Francisco for Long Weekend Tomorrow. Yay or Nay?

Ten Bears

I've a trip planned to visit my kid in central Oakland for a long weekend Fri night thru Tues night.  I had no real set plans but it is my first trip to the area and I just wanted to do tourist stuff... sightsee SF, Muir, maybe Monterey ect.  Of course I'm flying SWA but hopefully they will have their shit together by then.  I'm more worried about the flooding and not being able to get around.  They mainly just use Bart.  

Not knowing shit about the area other than they are getting hammered with rain I assume I should just cancel, right?  I was really looking forward to the trip and lodging is free so it is going to suck to miss out.  

Flight is at 11 am.

3 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

I've a trip planned to visit my kid in central Oakland for a long weekend Fri night thru Tues night.  I had no real set plans but it is my first trip to the area and I just wanted to do tourist stuff... sightsee SF, Muir, maybe Monterey ect.  Of course I'm flying SWA but hopefully they will have their shit together by then.  I'm more worried about the flooding and not being able to get around.  They mainly just use Bart.  

Not knowing shit about the area other than they are getting hammered with rain I assume I should just cancel, right?  I was really looking forward to the trip and lodging is free so it is going to suck to miss out.  

Flight is at 11 am.

Don’t be a pussy.  Go.  You’ll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Serious answer: it’s a strong stack of storms, another coming in on Friday and a stronger one Monday. Parks aren’t going to happen, nor will a drive to Monterey. But these are not Texas storms - just a constant drizzle for the most part. If you’re fine bar hopping during the day and checking out sights during breaks in the rain you’ll have a good time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you leave Oakland if traffic isn’t horrible head up east to orinda and then come back west down the hill on I80 to cross on the Bay Bridge. That is the best view of the City and you see everything. The Bay, both bridges, Alcatraz, the skyline,etc.

You can start if you have time with the 49 Mile Scenic drive. Google it and there are maps you can download. It takes you past everything worth seeing. Chinatown, fisherman’s Wharf, presidio, everything. Gives a good list of what ms cool to see and you can pick and choose.

I would take him to Alcatraz as it’s a cool tour and boat ride. Near by is Angel Island which was the Ellis Island for Chinese immigrants if you have interest. It was very late to be recognized and wasn’t much there when I left in 99 but they were planning a museum.

I think your kid might be fascinated with Chinatown. I always enjoyed visiting. Ride a street car. Go to the presidio and the park under the golden gate which really shows the power of the Pacific and the engineering marvel of the bridge.

Save the trip to Monterey for another time because 17-Mile Drive and some the piers look jacked up.  Plenty of good suggestions above to keep you busy for a weekend visit to the area.  Ghirardelli Square is good for kids. You can catch the Powell/Hyde Cable Car from nearby.