2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

From secrant, Bama site:

Seventh-Inning Rally Falls Short in Alabama Softball Loss at Texas Friday in Austin 

In a top-ten matchup to open action at the Bevo Classic, Alabama clawed back from a five-run deficit against Texas to bring the go-ahead run to the plate in the top of the seventh, but the rally fell just short as the Longhorns held on to defeat the Crimson Tide, 5-3. 

Alabama (19-4) and Texas (19-2-1) were scoreless until the Longhorns hung a crooked number in the third, plating five runs on three hits and an error. The Tide was hitless until a two-out single from Kenleigh Cahalan in the fifth put runners on the corners and Ashley Prange erased the shutout in the next at-bat with a three-run home run to make it a 5-3 ballgame. With the score the same in the top of the seventh, Faith Hensley and Cahalan hit back-to-back singles with one out to bring the potential go-ahead run to the plate, but Texas got out of the jam with a pair of strikeouts to end the rally. 

Cahalan was 2-for-4 from the leadoff spot, earning her fourth multi-hit game of the season and extending her hitting streak to seven games. Prange extended her own hitting streak to six games, smashing her team-leading ninth home run of the season and tying her season high with three RBIs. Montana Fouts (9-2) took the loss in the circle while Alex Salter backed her up with 3.0 shutout relief innings, holding the Longhorns to just three hits. 

What are the rules for the safety bag at first?  I know how it works when it's in play, but it was in our game yesterday against Bama, but not there today?  Do the teams decide if the bag is used?  Or what determines if the bag is there or not?  Just weird to me that a Texas home game yesterday used it, but a Texas home game today doesn't.

Edited by TexLonghorn

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

I think we play Bama again tonight, Texas St manana.  I could be wrong.

I know. I said Simpsons or Gutierrez tonight for Bama and save Mac for tomorrow 

Dont think Mac faces Bama again 

18 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

What are the rules for the safety bag at first?  I know how it works when it's in play, but it was in our game yesterday against Bama, but not there today?  Do the teams decide if the bag is used?  Or what determines if the bag is there or not?  Just weird to me that a Texas home game yesterday used it, but a Texas home game today doesn't.

They just said both teams have to agree to use it 

• Hook 'Em 1

Heard that - I guess patience would have served me well!  So since we used the safety bag yesterday (with Bama and UT both agreeing to use it), then I'd guess the two options would be that Wisconsin did not want to use it today vs Texas wanting to, or that Texas doesn't care if it's used or not and just defers to the other team to make the call.

6 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

SS pitched great. Think we see Montana again? They gotta try to salvage something out of this weekend. 

They said likely, bc Bama used 3 other pitchers against Texas State 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Glad we got that win yesterday against Bama in our pocket, because this one may be a lost cause

I think Mike would have taken a split. Citlaly needs this experience