2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

46 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Technically 4.5 innings, the ladies didn't get to bat in the bottom half of the frame.

They still call it 5. They don’t call it a 4.5 inning run rule, even though it is. Visitors got 5 innings of ABs

UNT midweek is a good challenge. Quality club 

9-3 and receiving votes

The this weekend we welcome Tennessee State, Louisiana (quality fringe top 25 team), McNeese and Princeton. 

McNeese has wins over UNT, UTA and Washington 

We finished February in 2022 at 9-7 (1-5 versus ranked teams). 

At least we are 11-2-1 (1-2-1 versus ranked teams) this year.

We have only played 14 games:

• Martinez leads with a .545 average and 3 players hitting above .500 (Goode at .521 and Scott at .511).  Team BA is .397
  • 4 players have double digit RBIs so far (Scott/Washington 18, Martinez 16, Goode 15)
  • 5 players have 2 HR so far, with 2 of those being freshman (Goode and Atwood)
  • More walks than strikeouts (47 to 41)
  • 28-36 SB as a team (Scott with 8, Maloney with 5, Goode with 4
  • 3 pitchers have an ERA under 2 (Citlaly 1.75, Morgan 1.81 and Cech 1.84)
  • 80 K to 22 walks as a staff
  • .950 fielding as a team - our issues are Washington at .941, Popelka at .938, Scott at .912, Maloney at .882, Martinez at .880)

I still think our strongest lineup offensively and defensively is Martinez at short, Washington at 3rd, Goode at 2nd, Scott in CF.  1B can be any combo of Day/Cimusz/Atwood/Brandon, with Cimusz/Atwood behind the dish and Maloney/Popelka/Dayton in the corner OFs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We finished February in 2022 at 9-7 (1-5 versus ranked teams). 

At least we are 11-2-1 (1-2-1 versus ranked teams) this year.

We have only played 14 games:

• Martinez leads with a .545 average and 3 players hitting above .500 (Goode at .521 and Scott at .511).  Team BA is .397
  • 4 players have double digit RBIs so far (Scott/Washington 18, Martinez 16, Goode 15)
  • 5 players have 2 HR so far, with 2 of those being freshman (Goode and Atwood)
  • More walks than strikeouts (47 to 41)
  • 28-36 SB as a team (Scott with 8, Maloney with 5, Goode with 4
  • 3 pitchers have an ERA under 2 (Citlaly 1.75, Morgan 1.81 and Cech 1.84)
  • 80 K to 22 walks as a staff
  • .950 fielding as a team - our issues are Washington at .941, Popelka at .938, Scott at .912, Maloney at .882, Martinez at .880)

I still think our strongest lineup offensively and defensively is Martinez at short, Washington at 3rd, Goode at 2nd, Scott in CF.  1B can be any combo of Day/Cimusz/Atwood/Brandon, with Cimusz/Atwood behind the dish and Maloney/Popelka/Dayton in the corner OFs. 

Agree on your lineup.  I like Cimusz behind the plate better than Atwood, who lets too many passed for my liking.  Keep Mia in the OF - she's a liability anywhere but can hit and run so that's fine.  It's great to have Bella back, who can both field and hit, and I think she will stop slapping when her wrist heals up a bit more.  The rest of the OF is a weakness IMO - no power, suspect gloves.  

I'm still worried about power and pitching against good competition.  We will see.  

Edited by bschoolprof

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Agree on your lineup.  I like Cimusz behind the plate better than Atwood, who lets too many passed for my liking.  Keep Mia in the OF - she's a liability anywhere but can hit and run so that's fine.  It's great to have Bella back, who can both field and hit, and I think she will stop slapping when her wrist heals up a bit more.  The rest of the OF is a weakness IMO - no power, suspect gloves.  

My biggest question marks are OF, though a Dayton-Scott-Maloney OF is my preferred lineup, and where do you play Atwood if Cimusz is catching?  I guess DP, with Day at 1st? Or Day at DP, Cimusz at 1st and Atwood catching.

The freshman have to play. And we haven't seen enough of Brandon to get her more playing time, possibly at 1st or DP. 

People are going to get left out, like Whitaker and Popelka. 

I thought Atwood played well at 1B in Clearwater,  since it has been mostly Day.   She is tall, had good footwork, and probably an edge on Day with athleticism.   I agree with @bschoolprof on her performance thus far at catcher.   Seems to be not concentrating resulting in balls passing that can be blocked. 

Position stability is not a staple with Mike White,  doubt it will ever be.   Offense first or so it seems.  But he is overall successful.   But even in the outfield,  would help with players playing same position even though they may rotate.

I really hope MW is working with Day in the circle.   When we get to a tournament setting,  always good to have a 5th pitcher if nothing more than to "eat" some innings.

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Fielding has been a issue for like 3 years now. I don't think White particularly cares. 

It looks like his approach is to get bats in the lineup even if that means a dip defensively. 

Yeah, that’s his strategy and he’s gone on record saying he values offense. No surprise there. I’m ok with it. Give me this strategy all day over the Connie Clark bullshit. 

One surprise under his regime is I thought we would get more pitching studs than we have with him at the helm, given his background. I have a feeling he is hard on the pitchers, and maybe that doesn’t work for everyone. Honestly, I have no idea though. 

Texas up to 11th

Louisiana is 24th and will be here for this weekend’s tournament and we play twice 

Really can’t believe we lose that game to Northwestern, who is now 6-6 

#9 Alabama looms for the weekend tournament the weekend after next and we also play them twice 

UNT comes to Austin today at 10-4 overall

No notable wins, also lost to Kentucky 4-0, Wichita State 5-3 and 8-6 and McNeese 4-2

Hitting .309 as a team with 19 HR, 55 walks to 70 K
1.45 team ERA, with only one pitcher over an ERA over 1.22
.955 fielding

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

does alex loeb not call softball games anymore?

Sometimes. He does work for the mothership, might be busy with basketball for some of these conference tournaments? 

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

tying run at the plate. one out. 

I don't trust morgan.  

She may not be super comfy coming out of the pen. Idk she has good moments and inconsistent moments