2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

5 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Coach for Kentucky made the runner jump off the bag early to end the top 8 early to try and get to the bottom.  Mike White makes a bunch of subs in the top to extended it lol. 

That explains why Simpson tried to hit the batter. There was a bunch of tactical strategy happening in those extra innings by both coaches. It reminded me of a soccer game in extra time where the team that has the lead tries every stall tactic in the books to run out the clock. One of our girls, I believe Mia Scott, stepped out of the batters box to get some eye drops. Good shit

Edited by perfectchaos007

On 1/17/2023 at 11:10 AM, Js1 said:

Ranked teams on our schedule:

• #1 OU
  • #3 Ok State
  • #6 Alabama
  • #7 Northwestern
  • #12 Tennessee
  • #13 Virginia Tech
  • #16 Kentucky
  • #20 Louisiana
  • #24 UNT

Embarassing game on so many levels.

6 more ranked teams at this point.    Morgan is an excellent pitcher,  but not an overpowering strikeout pitcher, nor or the others.  Defense needs to step up.

2 hours ago, torre said:

Embarassing game on so many levels.

6 more ranked teams at this point.    Morgan is an excellent pitcher,  but not an overpowering strikeout pitcher, nor or the others.  Defense needs to step up.

Morgan just doesn't have a strike out pitch.  However she throws so hard generates a lot of soft contact.   So will be frustrating when we play poor defense or the balls ahve eyes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From that link above:

From that article: 

quote:
Much of what transpired on Sunday can be attributed to gamesmanship – even Kentucky’s runner leaving early to end the top half of the 8th. But gamesmanship has its limits and those limits were crossed by Mike White and Texas on Sunday.  

When I sought out a former coach to gauge their opinion on the 8th inning happenings on Sunday, the response was worth quoting. “I would be embarrassed,” they said, “to get on the bus, to face my team, as the head coach at the University of Texas, and tell them we had to do that to avoid a loss.”  

The “official” scorebook may show a 4-4 final score, but Texas was a beaten team on Sunday. And Mike White knows it.

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Lol. I see no one brought up the fact UKs coach pulled tactics in the top of the 8th inning to expedite the inning. Both coaches played to use the curfew rule in their favor 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Oh yeah, we’re playing. Sophia strikes out the side in top 1. 

That 0-5 under Lamar looks fun. 

All Day 2-run yack. 

That was my bad I’ve Been so engrossed in hogwarts legacy haha 

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to the game tonight.  No more general admission seating in the main bleachers.  All assigned seats and they don't sell them at the box office.  I guess it's all season tickets now, like in baseball.  Total bullshit IMO.  

Anyway, I suck at evals, and it's early, and it's a bench-emptying game against Lamar, and I should know better from last year than to doubt White, but I don't exactly know what to make of this team.  They did way better in Clearwater than I thought they would, particularly after last year. We have some talented Freshman.  The leadoff (Goode) has a great swing and approach. She looks to be a pure hitter. Day had a nice HR.  

I have some concerns though.  The pen is thin, and Simpson looks shaky to start the year. I'm also a little worried about lack of pop - I see lots of fast contact hitters. Day and Whitaker provide some pop, but the latter struggles mightily with decent pitching.  Defense and baserunning are sure to be subpar - that's a White staple.  

I'm also a little worried about the lack of studdettes.   Iakopo, Rhodes, Ellish. It doesn't seem we have players of that caliber on the roster.  

Of course, I could be wrong. We'll see.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I went to the game tonight.  No more general admission seating in the main bleachers.  All assigned seats and they don't sell them at the box office.  I guess it's all season tickets now, like in baseball.  Total bullshit IMO.  

Anyway, I suck at evals, and it's early, and it's a bench-emptying game against Lamar, and I should know better from last year than to doubt White, but I don't exactly know what to make of this team.  They did way better in Clearwater than I thought they would, particularly after last year. We have some talented Freshman.  The leadoff (Goode) has a great swing and approach. She looks to be a pure hitter. Day had a nice HR.  

I have some concerns though.  The pen is thin, and Simpson looks shaky to start the year. I'm also a little worried about lack of pop - I see lots of fast contact hitters. Day and Whitaker provide some pop, but the latter struggles mightily with decent pitching.  Defense and baserunning are sure to be subpar - that's a White staple.  

I'm also a little worried about the lack of studdettes.   Iakopo, Rhodes, Ellish. It doesn't seem we have players of that caliber on the roster.  

We are young. Think they mentioned only one senior and mostly freshman and sophomores. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Nice comments.

So everyone has to sit in the outfield bleachers if you don't have a season ticket ?    Can't believe they sold all season tickets.   

Did not attend,  but most positive thing I saw on TV was Gutierrez getting 7 ground outs on 13 batters faced.  Keep the ball in the ballpark.

Personal opinion (which struggles to hit .200) but I think Simpson's challenge is mental.   She has the pitch repertoire, just needs to concentrate and relax.   I think she may be intimidated by MW.

Omaha may be a good test this weekend.   They are 5-0 with wins over Iowa St and Northern Iowa (good program), 32-14 last year.    

1 hour ago, torre said:

Nice comments.

So everyone has to sit in the outfield bleachers if you don't have a season ticket ?    Can't believe they sold all season tickets.   

Did not attend,  but most positive thing I saw on TV was Gutierrez getting 7 ground outs on 13 batters faced.  Keep the ball in the ballpark.

Personal opinion (which struggles to hit .200) but I think Simpson's challenge is mental.   She has the pitch repertoire, just needs to concentrate and relax.   I think she may be intimidated by MW.

Omaha may be a good test this weekend.   They are 5-0 with wins over Iowa St and Northern Iowa (good program), 32-14 last year.    

For popular games, poors are in the outfield. I bought general admission tickets because that's all you can buy online and I assumed it was general seating throughout most of the stadium as it has always been.  Nope, all assigned seating and GA is technically in the outfield.  But the usher told us it wouldn't be too crowded and we could probably just sit wherever, which we did.  Parking is also now a shit show because all the nearby surface lots are gone due to new graduate student housing.  Anyway, the whole thing has a very Steve Patterson feel to it.

Agree on Simpson.  One thing I liked was Czech was yelling encouragement to her from the dugout when she was struggling, which I thought was a nice touch.  Czech seems like a great teammate.  

• Hook 'Em 1