used appliance parts - washing machine

hey yall, i live in south austin.

the draining pump in our washing machine was clogged up with some coins and whathaveyou, and i cleaned it out, but i managed to break the handle on the reinstall of the filter. fucking whirlpool won't sell just he filter, which looks like this:

whirlpool-6awm9150-drain-pump-filter-cap

whirlpool wants me to buy a whole new pump mechanism, which is ~$150. 

yall know of any dodgy washing machine repair people who might have various parts like this from whom i can buy this part for $20? I found it online for $50, but that seems ridiculous. it seems artificially expensive and i hate wasting money if i can get around it.

Edited by hayden_horn

15 hours ago, Updawg said:

No idea. I was in a similar situation the other week, ended up buying the part off of Amazon for a dishwasher There used to be a good place off oltorf where abgb is but it's long gone it looks like

That was Harrell's.  That and Deutchman's on S. First are greatly missed by fix it yourself guys. We are a throw away society.

16 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I've been able to find reasonably priced random old parts for things I wanted to repair with some diligent searching on EBay.  Don't know how much parts stuff they do, but these guys are pretty good and could probably hook you up:  http://www.austinappliancerebuilders.com/saving-austin-money-on-appliances-since-1992/

cool, will check this place out.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Were the coins melded to the pump?

the thing was disgusting, because we have dogs, it was all clogged with hair and gunk. but it all came right out. of course  it broke as i was trying to reinstall it.

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

Very elaborate story for wanting recos to inexpensive butt plugs.  Very elaborate. 

wtf, man, why do you think i went to all these lengths!?

5 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

that is extremely helpful, posrep. 

it just seems like it should be an easy part to find as a standalone.

16 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that is extremely helpful, posrep. 

it just seems like it should be an easy part to find as a standalone.

If you end up buying that pump with the filter that you need, I recommend that you keep the pump just in case.  The pump in my machine went out last month and I was able to replace it in about two hours using YouTube as my guide.  Damn near had to take the whole thing apart to get to it.