Learn me on the ways of the digital nomad

Well, let’s start with this. Aside from wanting employees to work on site, are there other reasons why corporations would not be willing to allow one to work remote from another country? I guess I mean tax implications for said company? I’m trying to understand why, if a job can be performed remotely, and you desire to move to a country that has a digital nomad visa/program, company XYZ wouldn’t be ok with it. I’m just a cog in the machine, so maybe someone here that is in a place where such decisions are made could chime in.

This is something I am interested in for a short stint (2-3 years), but it seems unlikely, in my industry, that it would be given the green light. But maybe understanding it better would help me make the argument.

Tax implications, insurance, a few other things.

I work for a very large financial/banking company. If you have any NASD licenses and have any client interaction, you are prohibited from working in a foreign country. 

I don't know the actual case law, but I was told one of the reasons is that anyone placing trades for NYSE/NASDAQ securities is presumed to be in the US and the state they're licensed in; so the firm can be sued/fined and the trade reversed if it's discovered the trade was placed outside of the US.

Tax implications, insurance, a few other things.
I work for a very large financial/banking company. If you have any NASD licenses and have any client interaction, you are prohibited from working in a foreign country. 

I don't know the actual case law, but I was told one of the reasons is that anyone placing trades for NYSE/NASDAQ securities is presumed to be in the US and the state they're licensed in; so the firm can be sued/fined and the trade reversed if it's discovered the trade was placed outside of the US.

Thanks.

I don’t see how any of this (other than maybe taxes) would apply to me. I work in O&G, but right now for the owner/operator side. So we are the client so to speak. However, even when I worked on the engineering side and had to deal with the client, we still outsourced work to India and China. I realize that is different, but at the same time, it isn’t you know?

But don’t some of these countries that offer digital nomad visas/programs do so with the incentive of no tax entanglements?

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But don’t some of these countries that offer digital nomad visas/programs do so with the incentive of no tax entanglements?

I think it definitely varies based on whether the country of residence offers a visa with no local tax implications.  But I don't think that's a lot of countries.

We have a couple we're friends with.  He owns a business with assets in the EU.  They will be spending much of this summer in Paris, where he will be working with respect to those assets.  I think he got/gets a visa based on his position with the enterprise (sr. officer of an enterprise with assets in the EU).  His wife is a professional as well, and works almost entirely remotely, but that's in the US.  Her employer has freaked out about her being in the EU for three months and working remotely.  Doing a bit of remote work here and there while on vacation for a few weeks doesn't bother them, but they will be residing in the EU for 90 days, so there are work visa implications, and she's having to sort them out.

Visas.  Taxes.  What will be the hurdles/implications of either?

Oh, and by the way...."digital nomad" issues are a problem here in the US, too.  Your employer is in Texas.  You lived here and were hired here.  But because you work remote, you decide to move to Illinois, or upstate NY, or California, and you do all your work from there.  Which state's employment laws govern (that is, what kind of notice do I have to give you of layoffs, or termination, or changes in employment conditions?)  Does your company need to start withholding NY state income tax from your paycheck?  It's still a very unsettled field.

Data regulation and compliance also come into play.  Every business creates, consumes, updates, and stores data.  There may be laws / industry regulations for data access, origin of network connectivity, etc.  Digital nomads live a hard life : )

5 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Data regulation and compliance also come into play.  Every business creates, consumes, updates, and stores data.  There may be laws / industry regulations for data access, origin of network connectivity, etc.  Digital nomads live a hard life : )

Yep. Most of the nomads I have met traveling in Mexico and the EU are either freelancers who can do wtf they want wherever, or they just don't tell their employer where they work remotely from and only use VPN connections.

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Yep. Most of the nomads I have met traveling in Mexico and the EU are either freelancers who can do wtf they want wherever, or they just don't tell their employer where they work remotely from and only use VPN connections.

Yup.  I'm prohibited from booting up outside the contiguous 48.  Reason:  strict data privacy requirements.  But hey, I can lift the privacy protector on the macbook to impress MILFs at the airport.  I have that going for me.

4 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

These are the 2 biggest FB groups, they generally have good info

nomads.PNG

FB groups?  Sure that's not being tracked ..lolol

I think it definitely varies based on whether the country of residence offers a visa with no local tax implications.  But I don't think that's a lot of countries.
We have a couple we're friends with.  He owns a business with assets in the EU.  They will be spending much of this summer in Paris, where he will be working with respect to those assets.  I think he got/gets a visa based on his position with the enterprise (sr. officer of an enterprise with assets in the EU).  His wife is a professional as well, and works almost entirely remotely, but that's in the US.  Her employer has freaked out about her being in the EU for three months and working remotely.  Doing a bit of remote work here and there while on vacation for a few weeks doesn't bother them, but they will be residing in the EU for 90 days, so there are work visa implications, and she's having to sort them out.
Visas.  Taxes.  What will be the hurdles/implications of either?
Oh, and by the way...."digital nomad" issues are a problem here in the US, too.  Your employer is in Texas.  You lived here and were hired here.  But because you work remote, you decide to move to Illinois, or upstate NY, or California, and you do all your work from there.  Which state's employment laws govern (that is, what kind of notice do I have to give you of layoffs, or termination, or changes in employment conditions?)  Does your company need to start withholding NY state income tax from your paycheck?  It's still a very unsettled field.

This is definitely an issue, both domestically and internationally for the company I am with. We are a European company that has business units in PA and Texas. Ideally, they want everyone in the Texas business unit to live in Texas. I assume that is due to the taxes.

Y’all are dampening my hopes.

13 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Yup.  I'm prohibited from booting up outside the contiguous 48.  Reason:  strict data privacy requirements.  But hey, I can lift the privacy protector on the macbook to impress MILFs at the airport.  I have that going for me.

FB groups?  Sure that's not being tracked ..lolol

if you post on FB with your real name and info, you pretty much deserve to be busted anyway. My FB account has maybe 2 pieces of info that are actually true (identifies as male, went to UT Austin)

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This is definitely an issue, both domestically and internationally for the company I am with. We are a European company that has business units in PA and Texas. Ideally, they want everyone in the Texas business unit to live in Texas. I assume that is due to the taxes.

Y’all are dampening my hopes.

Using a VPN or an untrackable remote access device is not a big deal; there are literally tens of thousands of DN's doing it daily and it's been working for years.

Your main issue would be a boss that wants face time or team building shit that requires you to be there physically (and an expensive flight)

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, let’s start with this. Aside from wanting employees to work on site, are there other reasons why corporations would not be willing to allow one to work remote from another country? I guess I mean tax implications for said company? I’m trying to understand why, if a job can be performed remotely, and you desire to move to a country that has a digital nomad visa/program, company XYZ wouldn’t be ok with it. I’m just a cog in the machine, so maybe someone here that is in a place where such decisions are made could chime in.

This is something I am interested in for a short stint (2-3 years), but it seems unlikely, in my industry, that it would be given the green light. But maybe understanding it better would help me make the argument.

On this news I'm shorting Texas BBQ joint stocks should you sack up your stuff and leave.

• Like 1

Using a VPN or an untrackable remote access device is not a big deal; there are literally tens of thousands of DN's doing it daily and it's been working for years.
Your main issue would be a boss that wants face time or team building shit that requires you to be there physically (and an expensive flight)

I’m sure. But for once in my life I would like to do something the right or legal way haha.

On this news I'm shorting Texas BBQ joint stocks should you sack up your stuff and leave.

Just move your money churrascaria futures.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Is there a general RTW thread or maybe this can be that. I'm reading a lot about the huge pushback of Farmers Insurance with the new CEO who is angering their folks who did an about-face on their WFH promise.

Also, read Google will put using their time in the office as a metric on performance reviews.

Had a nephew that looked into this - besides the tax issue is medical insurance. Your company policy may just apply to coverage in the US. He was seriously considering moving to eastern Europe but got really sick while on a "scouting trip" and found out his insurance didn't cover him while he was over there... Your policy (or credit card) may cover you on a vacation but if the insurance company finds out you were "living" out of the country, you could get screwed...