Media setup company recommendations in Austin?

So, we are wrapping up a big kitchen remodel and a refresh of our living area, and as the last step, we’d like to resolve media issues we’ve been having for a long-ass time. Need someone who can help us with wiring, running some cables back through some channels, and maybe helping us update our sound hookup. It’s not super complicated, but we need someone with the experience and skill to just get our shit all set up and wired right, once and for all. And I honestly don’t have the time, inclination, or know-how for all of it.

Any recommendations on who to hire?

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, we are wrapping up a big kitchen remodel and a refresh of our living area, and as the last step, we’d like to resolve media issues we’ve been having for a long-ass time. Need someone who can help us with wiring, running some cables back through some channels, and maybe helping us update our sound hookup. It’s not super complicated, but we need someone with the experience and skill to just get our shit all set up and wired right, once and for all. And I honestly don’t have the time, inclination, or know-how for all of it.

Do you not listen to The Horn?  They only have one sponsor:  Audio Visual Consultation.

I had them do our patio/pool TV and a new mount in the bedroom.  Was all nice and clean but not a complicated install by any stretch.  That's all I got.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My cousin does this- has for years. One man shop.  Would you like his contact info?

Do you not listen to The Horn?  They only have one sponsor:  Audio Visual Consultation.
I had them do our patio/pool TV and a new mount in the bedroom.  Was all nice and clean but not a complicated install by any stretch.  That's all I got.

I used Audio Visual consultations as well (advertising works) they did a good job at a reasonable price in 2021.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

My cousin does this- has for years. One man shop.  Would you like his contact info?

Ask your cousin if he has ever setup DSPs for active front- and center-channel speakers in a surround sound system?

Are you totally averse to doing it yourself? Newer home theater equipment nearly all has pretty good ARC (automatic room correction) capability, you just set up the mics and run the sweeps. It works quite well, will get you 80-90% of the way to a pro tune. Audyssey is probably the best known, but there are plenty of brand-specific names for it. See if your receiver/processor have the capability already.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/automatic-room-correction/

If you want to nerd out and dig in, MiniDSP has a pile of great technical writeups on its site, you'd want to buy a decent calibrated mic for ~100, but the software is free.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-room-correction/drc-basics

Mouse over the Applications tab on top to see all the articles, screenshot here:

minidsp.thumb.JPG.729306534d4fce0c3d39b51221c8fcdf.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Are you totally averse to doing it yourself? Newer home theater equipment nearly all has pretty good ARC (automatic room correction) capability, you just set up the mics and run the sweeps. It works quite well, will get you 80-90% of the way to a pro tune. Audyssey is probably the best known, but there are plenty of brand-specific names for it. See if your receiver/processor have the capability already.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/automatic-room-correction/

If you want to nerd out and dig in, MiniDSP has a pile of great technical writeups on its site, you'd want to buy a decent calibrated mic for ~100, but the software is free.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-room-correction/drc-basics

Mouse over the Applications tab on top to see all the articles, screenshot here:

minidsp.thumb.JPG.729306534d4fce0c3d39b51221c8fcdf.JPG

Have you done it before? I haven't so I don't know I'm getting into. I am building some front and center channel speakers using high end components but I didn't like my initial cut for the miniDSPs on the back. I really need someone in Austin to do the CNC cuts for the drivers for me to be happy. Plus I could probably do a little better job on the grills. Anyway, after they are completed, I guess I would use the miniDSPs for the speakers that I built. Then I would use DIRAC for the surround and the system as a whole. I have the mic and stuff. I just haven't done it before.

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Have you done it before? I haven't so I don't know I'm getting into. I am building some front and center channel speakers using high end components but I didn't like my initial cut for the miniDSPs on the back. I really need someone in Austin to do the CNC cuts for the drivers for me to be happy. Plus I could probably do a little better job on the grills. Anyway, after they are completed, I guess I would use the miniDSPs for the speakers that I built. Then I would use DIRAC for the surround and the system as a whole. I have the mic and stuff. I just haven't done it before.

I sent him what you asked, he hasn’t replied yet. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I've done the room correction portion a few times, but at the consumer level, meaning I used a lot of the "autotune" abilities instead of digging into an EQ myself band by band. For a Dirac or Audyssey autotune, it's really just a matter of getting the mic to the right positions (you want to do multiple positions bracketing your listening ear position to get the best results), and making sure the room is really the same way that you'll be listening to it (IE if you'll be sitting there, you sit there. If you'll have listeners with you most of the time, have people sit in those positions. If your blinds will be closed for movie viewing, shut the blinds!

For your speaker build and miniDSP, you really <really really> should join the DIY Loudspeaker Project Pad group on Facebook. Those guys go deep info crossover design and there's a ton of fabrication experience there too. This includes if you need to find a local CNC, sometimes you can post and find a local willing to help you out.

Also would be worth checking out the RTA in Cars FB group if you want to nerd out. Though it focuses on car environment, the DSP/EQ info in there for "cabin tuning" can directly apply to house room use. It's all about doing mic traces, time/phase alignment, and adjusting DSP. Some really great how-to in there that will walk you through from zero knowledge, just the desire to learn.

• Hook 'Em 1