Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

A-Basin... 19" base.  Woof.  That doesn't work well there.  Not a single black run open that I can tell.  9 runs.

Winter Park looking like a good Christmas destination with a good amount of terrain open and snow in the forecast.

3" at Taos last night and if they can manage to get another a possible 12" in the next week, should be decent.  Highline looking C O L D this morning...

image.png.af0d54b0e7c4ccc677a67c22289b9af1.png

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Winter Park looking like a good Christmas destination with a good amount of terrain open and snow in the forecast.

I don't know if I'd say good destination, but probably the best of the major resorts right now.  There's a smallish storm coming Christmas eve and then nothing until New Years at the earliest.  That goes for everything north of I-70 in CO.

I have not skied yet and it's looking like my first day won't be until sometime in January (I do not ski between Christmas and New Years).

On 12/21/2023 at 2:35 PM, Chewbacca said:

I don't know if I'd say good destination, but probably the best of the major resorts right now.  There's a smallish storm coming Christmas eve and then nothing until New Years at the earliest.  That goes for everything north of I-70 in CO.

I have not skied yet and it's looking like my first day won't be until sometime in January (I do not ski between Christmas and New Years).

That's what I mean.  Given that I think two years ago it was total garbage, it's an improvement 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 12:49 AM, Born to Run said:

Santa Fe Got 10", nice to see snow in town and on the square. Did the walk up Canyon Road. Been coming here about once a year since I started UT in the 90s, Pretty magical town.

Saw that they have almost all their terrain open which is crazy.  Friend texted me from Copper Mountain... said skiing is "pretty bad" and "desperately need snow and the temps are bitter"

Saw that they have almost all their terrain open which is crazy.  Friend texted me from Copper Mountain... said skiing is "pretty bad" and "desperately need snow and the temps are bitter"
Dont sleep on Santa Fe. It can he sneaky good.

It appears more snow has fallen South this year.

Wolf Creek is fully open including most of the hike in terrain. Great snow still around, and there no lift lines. I love this mountain. Yes it's thin on the advanced terrain, but we found great snow and a few little powder stashes even this many days later.

My son is finally able to keep up and ride fast and now I'm all busted up and old. I normally ride, but I'm skiing this year for the first time in probably 7 years and everything hurts, blue moguls felt challenging and I had to quit at 245. I normally ride open to close. Upside is he's old enough to do his own thing.

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Dont sleep on Santa Fe. It can he sneaky good.

It appears more snow has fallen South this year.

Wolf Creek is fully open including most of the hike in terrain. Great snow still around, and there no lift lines. I love this mountain. Yes it's thin on the advanced terrain, but we found great snow and a few little powder stashes even this many days later.

My son is finally able to keep up and ride fast and now I'm all busted up and old. I normally ride, but I'm skiing this year for the first time in probably 7 years and everything hurts, blue moguls felt challenging and I had to quit at 245. I normally ride open to close. Upside is he's old enough to do his own thing.

I would love to hit up Santa Fe this trip but won't be able to.  Definitely want to hit it up sometime.  Also curious to hit Sipapu sometime but, again, not in the cards for this trip.  

Its great when your kids start catching up.  My youngest has done a handful of easier blacks with me... bit by bit.  

I would love to hit up Santa Fe this trip but won't be able to.  Definitely want to hit it up sometime.  Also curious to hit Sipapu sometime but, again, not in the cards for this trip.  
Its great when your kids start catching up.  My youngest has done a handful of easier blacks with me... bit by bit.  
Sipapu is great when they have snow for people on a budget with kids that can ski a bit. Small, hard to get lost etc. Powder days are fun. I'd still take Santa Fe, it's my number one including Taos unless I'm strictly doing a trip with advanced skiers then I'll take Taos. A Fire is fun on a powder day because you get powder skiing in the morning, spring skiing in the afternoon and water skiing on the last run of the day.

Snow is getting thin in Wolf Creek, my knee had enough fun by 2 even though my quads and hams were fine, even with yesterday off. Kinda hurt my pride to stop so early. Need to keep hitting the gym and maybe mix in more impact activity and box jumps. Today will be motivation for next year or later this year.

Just wrapping up 3 ski days in Breck.  Overall, I must say conditions were not as bad as I was expecting.  They opened up the T-bar while we were there, though Imperial SuperChair is still down.  Peaks 9 &10 had much better snow imo.  The conditions resembled more of a spring skiing feel vs late December.  Full sun, no clouds, highs in the 30's, no wind.  Cold in the shade, but we were unzipping in the lift lines to cool down.  Crowds were not bad at all, lift lines were very manageable.  We started each morning about 9-9:30 at Beaver Run and never had to wait in line , just clicked in,  got the pass scanned and we were off.  We ventured over to Peak 8 base a couple times and those lifts there had the longest lines, but nothing crazy.

We were able to get tables all 3 days for lunch with out much trouble ; ran in to several Texas fans/grads.  Overall great trip.  Had a ski in condo off Lowest 4 O'clock, which was nice.  Walked to town each night for nightlife, shopping, dinner.  Mainstreet Breck is perfect for our group (4 teens and Ms Jdhorn and I)

• Hook 'Em 1

Went up to the mountain last night for fireworks which was really cool.  I can see how the view from Al's Run can intimidate most.  That's an interesting welcome to be sure.  

Will be getting my family's equipment today and hitting the slopes tomorrow.  51 runs open including several on Highline.  Just need to get my feel for the mountain and get my ski legs/ski brains back on track.

...and just like we remembered, the general service in the town of Taos is as dismal as usual.  The majority of locals either treat you as you are a massive inconvenience or with straight up condescension.  It's funny when France outperforms Taos for service.  I'm assuming people are more cordial at TSV. 

Quick update on Taos.  Really like the mountain so far even though coverage is pretty rough.  Groomed runs and in great shape... open blacks and double diamonds vary considerably when it comes to conditions but the general rule is steep = not great coverage and plenty of rock/sapling obstacles.

Hike to Highline was fine and we made it to the gate just before 1:30 to then traverse over to Corner Chute which had really nice conditions.  We did Corner Chute into Two Bucks and then the gate closed.  Great little chute and a reasonable run.  Entrance to Lorelei Trees and Lorelei was good but a few more rocks.  They would throw you surprises in the troughs of moguls.  We kept trying to see what was "reasonable" on steeper terrain but cutting through Castor and then traversing into the bottom of Spitfire/West Blitz Trees and into Blitz was an obstacle -strewn mess.  This week's storm should help a lot! 

Pic looking down into Hidalgo...

PXL_20240102_204935796.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Got back from Red River on Sunday. As a single, I waited in a lift line for maybe 40 seconds tops as my longest wait. Conditions were MUCH better than I anticipated. The temp swings from low to high were wild, but I had no issues with gear.

I do not think the wife will ever want go back to Red River. She had planned to work from the restaurant at the Chalet base, but due to only one power outlet and no alcohol, she bailed. I thought the town had a really cool German vibe, but I really like small towns. 

6 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Family trip to Breck done.  Now heading to Aspen at end of January for a guys trip...start the snow wathcing forecasts all over again.

Make sure you pay your bar tab or they'll throw you in the pokey.

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/michigan-man-reportedly-skips-out-on-nearly-7000-aspen-bar-tab-released-on-1500-bond/

5 hours ago, JCHIL said:

SHhhhh! Hope you are staying tomorrow and Friday!  Powder days! Woo hoo! I'll be there tomorrow!

Yup.  I'll be here guiding a group of teenagers.  Look for the frustrated guy wearing a blue jacket, yellow pants and skiing Black Crows. 

Just wrapped up for today.  You should get some.great coverage for Friday.  Did Longhorn today which could improve dramatically with more snow.  Top 2/3 ok... bottom rough.  

29 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yup.  I'll be here guiding a group of teenagers.  Look for the frustrated guy wearing a blue jacket, yellow pants and skiing Black Crows. 

Just wrapped up for today.  You should get some.great coverage for Friday.  Did Longhorn today which could improve dramatically with more snow.  Top 2/3 ok... bottom rough.  

I will say you are covering alot of the highlights of TSV, ridge - corner chute, Two Bucks, Lorelei Blitz etc. so much fun in good conditions,  - Longhorn is a long run!! The mid-bottom is usually my favorite part:)  I'll be out there tomorrow around noon...I'll look for you! Is Hunziker open? 

52 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

I will say you are covering alot of the highlights of TSV, ridge - corner chute, Two Bucks, Lorelei Blitz etc. so much fun in good conditions,  - Longhorn is a long run!! The mid-bottom is usually my favorite part:)  I'll be out there tomorrow around noon...I'll look for you! Is Hunziker open? 

Didn't look like it.  We saw people looking that way but the Taos app said Hunziker and $ Slot were closed.  

I like Taos... cool mountain and I understand the CB comparisons and how people make the sister mountain comments.  The steeper stuff I tried was manageable so it reminded me of the doubles I can handle on the CB T-Bars.  I will say... the locals who say "our greens are everyone else's blues, our blues are everyone's blacks, etc..." I don't know about that.  Overall true mountain is harder per se than others but grading of runs feels correct. 

Looking at 10-14” in the next 24 hours at RR. Lady at the candy shop I took my kids to earlier said to me “I’ve been here 41 years, and I’m telling you it’s gonna snow tomorrow”. She didn’t cackle, but that may be because the COPD from all her Marlboro reds wouldn’t allow it.

16 hours ago, JCHIL said:

App says Hunziker is open.  If we're in the plaza around noon, let me know what you're wearing/riding and I'll bring a message from the intertubes. 

Skied until 1:00 then had to call it a day to get back to town.  Road up/down was totally fine.  Snow felt great today and while the app lied about Hunkizer, you could traverse some trees at the bottom to get a couple of nice turns.  Moguls were a blast today and generally had a good time.  More snow in the forecast but we're done.  

PXL_20240104_164327815.jpg

PXL_20240104_185219526.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Skied until 1:00 then had to call it a day to get back to town.  Road up/down was totally fine.  Snow felt great today and while the app lied about Hunkizer, you could traverse some trees at the bottom to get a couple of nice turns.  Moguls were a blast today and generally had a good time.  More snow in the forecast but we're done.  

PXL_20240104_164327815.jpg

PXL_20240104_185219526.jpg

Cool . We just got back into our condo at 4 at Snakedance. We started skiing around noon and I was looking for you but I thought you had yellow pants?.  Anyway, I saw a guy with yellow pants and blue jacket so I skied up to him and said “Hey, Are you Texas Dago”? He said , “I don’t know what you are talking about.” Sorry dude, wrong guy 😊 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JCHIL said:

Cool . We just got back into our condo at 4 at Snakedance. We started skiing around noon and I was looking for you but I thought you had yellow pants?.  Anyway, I saw a guy with yellow pants and blue jacket so I skied up to him and said “Hey, Are you Texas Dago”? He said , “I don’t know what you are talking about.” Sorry dude, wrong guy 😊 

Lolol.  That's funny.  We were down there around 12:05 and then headed back up as we were farting around on a few runs. 

Yeah, I have yellow pants.  The other picture is my youngest son in black and white and his friend.  Nice location with Snakedance.  

One of the best parts of skiing is my son listens to me on the mountain and we worked of a few things like how to enter runs that feel too steep.  It's always fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/3/2024 at 12:18 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Family trip to Breck done.  Now heading to Aspen at end of January for a guys trip...start the snow wathcing forecasts all over again.

Have fun. By the end of the month I’d be shocked if the snow isn’t awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from CB last night. This was the first time my 3 kids had skied and was my first time to ski in ~20 years.

The kids all did a full day of ski school the first day and I don't think this was a good week for that. The instructors were all great, but they all had too many kids (8-9) each for the kids to get a whole lot of instruction and the wait time/ski time ratio at the magic carpets was bunk. My middle son was bored after 1/2 day so I asked the instructor if I could take him up the Peach Tree lift and she thought he was ready so we did it. He had a hard time controlling his speed initially but didn't fall and LOVED it compared to the magic carpets so we did it a few more times before he went back to ski school to finish out the day. Older son and daughter were fine with the pace of learning in the ski school and had a good time. I took advantage of them all being in there and skied really hard the whole day. My legs held up better than I thought they would and I was able to ski 5 hours or so without fatigue causing me to lose my form.

My favorite run was Silver Queen lift to Windy Gap > Silver Queen Road > Paradise Bowl > Upper Canaan > Upper Treasury > Lower Treasury to the East River lift. Would work my way over to Paradise Express lift and do it again. Most of the blacks needed more snow to be fun for me, but the blues were great and gave me what I needed after a 20 year hiatus.

I skied with my sons most of the rest of the time so that had me waiting in the Red Lady line to ski down Houston or Poverty Gulch, but they were blown away by that after only doing the run under Peach Tree which was only half open and got a little icy early in the day. The only lines that were ever bad were Red Lady and Painter Boy.

My daughter (8 yo) didn't take to it as much as I was hoping, but I think most of that was the mountain. Just the two of us skied together on their 2nd morning and I took her over to the Peach Tree lift and she did great getting on and off. Both of her brothers fell getting off the first time but she nailed it. But the run underneath it was too steep for her and along with the crunchy conditions made it so she didn't like it. I did the magic carpets with her for a few more hours (F me, painful), but she didn't want to go back up a "big lift." If I could have gotten her to go up Red Lady she would have loved coming back down Houston, but she wasn't up for it and I wasn't going to force it. Her form was better than both of her brothers after a day of ski school, but she was more cautious. Maybe it's just because the other side of Peach Tree was closed due to lack of snow, but I was a little bummed there weren't more beginner options available other than the magic carpets and Augusta. It was too much for my girl.

By day 4 of skiing the boys were ready to go all the way up, so we took the Silver Queen up and came down Paradise Bowl and then cruised greens all the way back down. It was a little challenging for them in spots, but they loved it and I was proud of them for going for it. We were high fiving and fist bumping after their first blues and they were on cloud 9. We skied the whole day except for stopping for a late lunch at the Paradise warming house. You couldn't get a table at any of the options on the mountain unless you were really early or waited until 1:30 or so.

We only had 1 gnarly crash on the mountain and that was when some jackass teenager was out of control coming down one of the blacks off Silver Queen and crashed into me while I was working down the green that switch backs to the bottom with my sons. I was looking up as soon as I came to the edge of his run and saw him flying towards me and thought I was going to get hurt badly. That stupid fuck flew past the giant yellow SLOW and MERGING TRAIL signs on the wrong fucking side of his run. He had no time and not enough chops to miss me and clipped the front of my skis knocking both of them off and he absolutely yard sale'd. I was damn lucky and it only dinged up my shoulder where I hit the ground and my right hip flexor is still a little sore, but I still skied the rest of the day with no issues. I cussed him out after he tried to say I should have been looking up. If he was a little older I probably would have tried to get my hands on him because I was seeing red even thinking about him crashing into one of my sons. They heard dad dropping F bombs for the first time and were laughing about it later that night, but damn I was pissed.

We only ate out twice, once at Secret Stash and once at The Slogar. Slogar is a family style restaurant, is crazy expensive, and you have to have a reservation, but holy shit was it good. We had fried chicken that was some of the best I've ever had.

Overall it was an amazing trip and my sons are definitely hooked which should mean more trips in my future. We might try somewhere that has more beginner options on the next trip, but having a bombjack house to stay at for free might be too much to pass up. In a parallel life where I don't have a wife and kids, CB would be pretty high up on my list of places to live. Fly Fishing and skiing are two of my favorite things to do and it's pretty damn good for both.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.dba59b8762dcbcf013de4f9696c201c4.jpg

unnamed.thumb.jpg.33aadd3f36d51489e9b41ae6c632a2fc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

So I’m scheduled to close on my house on 2/16, at which time i will unpack and have access to my ski gear. Excited to explore the hills of the cascades. I’m around 45 miles from stevens pass. Hope there’s some accumulation by then. Should be some coming next week. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I’m scheduled to close on my house on 2/16, at which time i will unpack and have access to my ski gear. Excited to explore the hills of the cascades. I’m around 45 miles from stevens pass. Hope there’s some accumulation by then. Should be some coming next week. 

Stevens is a fun mountain.  Enjoyed checking it out last year.

On CB... it kicks so much ass.  Glad you're back after the 20 year hiatus.  Keep at it and work your way up to the T-Bars.

Hoping to ski Banana to Funnel this March assuming good coverage.  Just looks cool.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just got back from CB last night. This was the first time my 3 kids had skied and was my first time to ski in ~20 years.
The kids all did a full day of ski school the first day and I don't think this was a good week for that. The instructors were all great, but they all had too many kids (8-9) each for the kids to get a whole lot of instruction and the wait time/ski time ratio at the magic carpets was bunk. My middle son was bored after 1/2 day so I asked the instructor if I could take him up the Peach Tree lift and she thought he was ready so we did it. He had a hard time controlling his speed initially but didn't fall and LOVED it compared to the magic carpets so we did it a few more times before he went back to ski school to finish out the day. Older son and daughter were fine with the pace of learning in the ski school and had a good time. I took advantage of them all being in there and skied really hard the whole day. My legs held up better than I thought they would and I was able to ski 5 hours or so without fatigue causing me to lose my form.
My favorite run was Silver Queen lift to Windy Gap > Silver Queen Road > Paradise Bowl > Upper Canaan > Upper Treasury > Lower Treasury to the East River lift. Would work my way over to Paradise Express lift and do it again. Most of the blacks needed more snow to be fun for me, but the blues were great and gave me what I needed after a 20 year hiatus.
I skied with my sons most of the rest of the time so that had me waiting in the Red Lady line to ski down Houston or Poverty Gulch, but they were blown away by that after only doing the run under Peach Tree which was only half open and got a little icy early in the day. The only lines that were ever bad were Red Lady and Painter Boy.
My daughter (8 yo) didn't take to it as much as I was hoping, but I think most of that was the mountain. Just the two of us skied together on their 2nd morning and I took her over to the Peach Tree lift and she did great getting on and off. Both of her brothers fell getting off the first time but she nailed it. But the run underneath it was too steep for her and along with the crunchy conditions made it so she didn't like it. I did the magic carpets with her for a few more hours (F me, painful), but she didn't want to go back up a "big lift." If I could have gotten her to go up Red Lady she would have loved coming back down Houston, but she wasn't up for it and I wasn't going to force it. Her form was better than both of her brothers after a day of ski school, but she was more cautious. Maybe it's just because the other side of Peach Tree was closed due to lack of snow, but I was a little bummed there weren't more beginner options available other than the magic carpets and Augusta. It was too much for my girl.
By day 4 of skiing the boys were ready to go all the way up, so we took the Silver Queen up and came down Paradise Bowl and then cruised greens all the way back down. It was a little challenging for them in spots, but they loved it and I was proud of them for going for it. We were high fiving and fist bumping after their first blues and they were on cloud 9. We skied the whole day except for stopping for a late lunch at the Paradise warming house. You couldn't get a table at any of the options on the mountain unless you were really early or waited until 1:30 or so.
We only had 1 gnarly crash on the mountain and that was when some jackass teenager was out of control coming down one of the blacks off Silver Queen and crashed into me while I was working down the green that switch backs to the bottom with my sons. I was looking up as soon as I came to the edge of his run and saw him flying towards me and thought I was going to get hurt badly. That stupid fuck flew past the giant yellow SLOW and MERGING TRAIL signs on the wrong fucking side of his run. He had no time and not enough chops to miss me and clipped the front of my skis knocking both of them off and he absolutely yard sale'd. I was damn lucky and it only dinged up my shoulder where I hit the ground and my right hip flexor is still a little sore, but I still skied the rest of the day with no issues. I cussed him out after he tried to say I should have been looking up. If he was a little older I probably would have tried to get my hands on him because I was seeing red even thinking about him crashing into one of my sons. They heard dad dropping F bombs for the first time and were laughing about it later that night, but damn I was pissed.
We only ate out twice, once at Secret Stash and once at The Slogar. Slogar is a family style restaurant, is crazy expensive, and you have to have a reservation, but holy shit was it good. We had fried chicken that was some of the best I've ever had.
Overall it was an amazing trip and my sons are definitely hooked which should mean more trips in my future. We might try somewhere that has more beginner options on the next trip, but having a bombjack house to stay at for free might be too much to pass up. In a parallel life where I don't have a wife and kids, CB would be pretty high up on my list of places to live. Fly Fishing and skiing are two of my favorite things to do and it's pretty damn good for both.
unnamed.thumb.jpg.dba59b8762dcbcf013de4f9696c201c4.jpg
unnamed.thumb.jpg.33aadd3f36d51489e9b41ae6c632a2fc.jpg
I didn't get through all your opus, but cool story! Making turns after your kids never gets old is sweet; going on 12 years in a row with mine, finally got faster Than me. Bittersweet to yield a step

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Good for you!  That looks awesome.  Highline is going to be killer when it lets up 

My strategy on major pow days like tomorrow morn will be to ski the frontside blacks first, early and often until they get carved up (for some reason everyone heads to backside or ridge first thing and the touristas stay in the greens and blues which leaves frontside blacks (arguably some of the best runs on the mtn.) wide open - this is a locals strategy.   They will probably be dropping some ropes on frontside tomorrow as well so will be on lookout for new openings then head up higher - ridge will be afternoon.  Ridge and backside might be closed for a few hours anyway since it is still puking at 6 pm here which is pretty common when they have dumps overnight and don’t have time to safety check them 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/4/2024 at 8:21 PM, MrX said:

Have fun. By the end of the month I’d be shocked if the snow isn’t awesome. 

Can/t wait.  About 10 of us going, half will be skiing. Any experience at Cloud Nine bar at top of the mountain?  Looks fun, but never been, we're skiing Highlands one day.

10 hours ago, texasdago said:

Enjoy the skiing today... looks like it might get a tad breezy soon...

image.thumb.png.bcfa26bebb213e1445c53b53ade1ff77.png

Well, the wind must be the reason our JSX flight cancelled this afternoon.  JSX is really convenient until it isn’t as they really have no options if they cancel- you are basically on your own. Sitting in ABQ now, got a SW flight to Dallas (I hope we make it out - high winds in Dallas too?). Anyway we did have some fun skiing this am until noon when the wind picked up and we headed to ABQ.  Just like I thought, they did not open the ridge or backside until almost noon.  They did open Al’s, Longhorn, and Jeans glade up again on the front side….Still not too crowded , They were lined up for the ridge…CB05FCEA-704B-4C65-9FE0-F72F212BCD06.thumb.jpeg.762e160c43f0f107402adc95a99e8dfd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1