Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

...and strongly recommend asking the instructor which runs he/she thinks they can handle.  I do this all the time... "oh, where can I take them?" and they'll usually give you a rundown of what they did and others they can do.

We are going between NY and the following weekend but in Taos.  I am wondering what we'll find... hoping it won't be too crazy and we'll have some decent snow.  Taos, like CB, seems like a mountain that is less accessible to a lot of people so fingers crossed.  

Things tend to slow down right after New Years.  Will still be busy, just not insane.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I would plan on mayhem, just in case, and plan ahead for things like reservations and ski lessons.  Like I said, it's the busiest week at every resort in CO (and elsewhere, I'm sure).

For sure, it's a good thought. I plan on having lessons reserved and lift tickets purchased in the next few weeks. I hope the lines aren't too insane, but I think we'll really enjoy it even if it is a little crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, The Royal We said:

My kids are 14, 10, and 8 and none of them have skied before. Is it worth it to splurge for a full day private lesson for them or should I just put them in 1/2 day group lessons with their age group?

Look up local or not so local instructors who will teach at cb.  Call a ski shop or boot shop to ask what forum to use so you can seek instructors through other means rather than using the resort.  Some kind of classifieds.  They should be cheaper.  Negotiate.

10 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Look up local or not so local instructors who will teach at cb.  Call a ski shop or boot shop to ask what forum to use so you can seek instructors through other means rather than using the resort.  Some kind of classifieds.  They should be cheaper.  Negotiate.

Most resorts do not allow this.  Not to say it can't be done, but not openly.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes and it’s usually easy to spot someone giving a lesson.  They stand out like a sore thumb.  If the bootleg instructor is a stranger to the resort perhaps you can say he’s your uncle.  But these days they can scan the lift card and get a quick identification.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, Chewbacca said:

If they aren't PSIA anymore like in my case, they can teach all they want can't they?  Is there legislation in Colorado that says instruction can't take place on resort property by anyone not a resort employee?  

11 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

If they aren't PSIA anymore like in my case, they can teach all they want can't they?  Is there legislation in Colorado that says instruction can't take place on resort property by anyone not a resort employee?  

It's definitely illegal to be working on the mountain when not employed by the mountain. That said, there are lots of former instructors that bootleg for former clients, but it's not really instruction, it's more of a status thing for the clients that the uber wealthy do. They are just sort of a buddy that takes you around on the mountain.

Finding someone off the street to teach a group of complete newbies isn't a viable strategy. Nobody wants to lose their season pass.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

The resorts control what happens on the mountain.  They do not allow outside instruction because they want you to pay for their instruction.  Kinda like you can't bring your own beer into a bar.

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It's definitely illegal to be working on the mountain when not employed by the mountain. That said, there are lots of former instructors that bootleg for former clients, but it's not really instruction, it's more of a status thing for the clients that the uber wealthy do. They are just sort of a buddy that takes you around on the mountain.

Finding someone off the street to teach a group of complete newbies isn't a viable strategy. Nobody wants to lose their season pass.

Yea, it's not something I ever would have considered for sure.

32 minutes ago, texasdago said:

image.thumb.png.0ec4dad2afb543935c634ead8933f964.png

Last winter I watched this asian dude with corn rows posing for pictures taken by his girlfriend at the base of a lift. Once done, he got on the lift which went to the top of the mountain. I was a couple of chairs behind him and when I got off the lift, it was clear he had never been on a snowboard in his life. The kicker: he didn't have gloves. Saw the dude about an hour later walking down the hill.

Did it for the Gram.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Last winter I watched this asian dude with corn rows posing for pictures taken by his girlfriend at the base of a lift. Once done, he got on the lift which went to the top of the mountain. I was a couple of chairs behind him and when I got off the lift, it was clear he had never been on a snowboard in his life. The kicker: he didn't have gloves. Saw the dude about an hour later walking down the hill.

Did it for the Gram.

Sometimes when you're lucky you get to sit next to a doofus like that on the lift and you get the pray they don't take out your ACL 

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Sometimes when you're lucky you get to sit next to a doofus like that on the lift and you get the pray they don't take out your ACL 

got creamed on an empty run last  year by a boarder.  luckily nothing permanantly damaged but the pain that day was something else.  he was out of control on an empty blue run.  I had slowed down and checked over the shoulder a few times.  it would be pretty easy to go right around me for anyone not brand new and if you're brand new you shouldn't be on that run.  to make it worse, he asked if i was ok, i said no, and he promptly took off.  CSB, I know.  Couldn't walk right for a few days, but eventually it all got better.  Has made me extra paranoid at times though.

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Looks awesome...

https://www.threads.net/@powdermagazine/post/Cx-u9A7OfsO/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ%3D%3D

(do Threads links embed?)  Can't tell...

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

Yes. That vid is on TSV’s home website now.  This pic below was taken on Dec 29, 2018 on highline ridge near 252A6DF6-CE8E-4CB7-81AB-74C2C952B061.thumb.jpeg.a8e3beab77461449eef470452febe9c5.jpegwhere the skier in vid enters in.  Point is that ridge was open at Christmas/NY week (I looked back in my photos: 2017 as was not good/ridge not open, 2018, 2019, 2020 it was open with very good powder, 2021 not sure as we skied MT, last year 2022 it was closed with low to average coverage overall but backside - lift 4 was open so still decent fun)  

Had a chance to ski here in March 2018 as our base was in Argentiere.  Was planning on going back until the cable car station burned.  Its an amazing place... should be on any skiers "must do" list.

https://snowbrains.com/fire-ravaged-trams-at-chamonix-france-to-be-replaced-in-20241/

Waiting for the cable car... the conditions at the top (yes, I was sweating bullets given the lac of visibility) and my incredible guide.

IMG_20180313_110849.jpg

IMG_20180313_113227.jpg

IMG_20180313_115821.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

This requires

1) balls because of the unpredictable glacial terrain that will swallow you up

2) determination

3) overall incredible knowledge of the terrain. 

Yes, he could have taken the cable car but I'm always impressed by this level of effort.  Also, I love how you can get an appreciation of the altitude of glacial terrain in Europe starting much lower than one would think.  If you've ever had a chance to enjoy that kind of terrain, enjoy it while you can because its retreating fast.  Still remember picking up my family from their lesson at Le Tour de Balme at the east end of the Chamonix Valley and even there gawking up at the jagged chunks of glacier above us.  If you look here, you can zoom in or in this picture and see the shards of the glacier as seen from the valley.  Its amazing in person, even cooler when you're up there and looking at this otherwordly blue color of ice.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just bought three-day passes for Taos over the winter break.  No idea how much will be open in early January but one can hope.  That said, $105 per day for an adult pass is not shabby these days.  $75 for a youth pass.  That's without having a season pass/Ikon pass or whatever.  

• Hook 'Em 2

We bought a place in Whitefish.  Mainly as an investment and a place to spend summers.  But I also love to ski and have never skied Whitefish.  Anyone else skied there?  We are going to go for Spring Break definitely and maybe during January as kids have a longer break this year if we can make travel work.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

We bought a place in Whitefish.  Mainly as an investment and a place to spend summers.  But I also love to ski and have never skied Whitefish.  Anyone else skied there?  We are going to go for Spring Break definitely and maybe during January as kids have a longer break this year if we can make travel work.

The coolest thing about this is that you're only 100 miles to Fernie.  Whitefish is a great starting point for a powder highway tour.  

https://www.powderhounds.com/canada/powder-highway.aspx

Screenshot-2023-10-25-192544.png

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/25/2023 at 7:26 PM, PRONG HORN said:

The coolest thing about this is that you're only 100 miles to Fernie.  Whitefish is a great starting point for a powder highway tour.  

https://www.powderhounds.com/canada/powder-highway.aspx

Screenshot-2023-10-25-192544.png

Been lurking since tos but always figured I should keep my fingers off the keyboard and so my part to keep the signal-to-noise ratio in balance…until I had real value to add, so here goes:

Congrats on the purchase!

I spent a March in Whitefish, slopeside and in town at three different spots.

First thing: everybody in Whitefish hates Texans. I just told them, “All those people y’all hate aren’t really from Texas, us natives kicked them out, since we hate them too. They’re trying to get even by giving us a bad name.”

After a few weeks, I ended up bailing to Fernie, as mentioned above, also a day skiing place south of Kalispell called Blacktail. Both were way more my speed than Whitefish.

I really wanted to like Whitefish, as in, it was on my bucketlist. Turns out, Whitefish is closer to Breck than it is Taos.

That’s a loaded statement, so let me explain. I loved Breck (town and mountain) prior to its acquisition by Vail Resorts. Breck never had the terrain of A-basin, per se, but it had great snow and was out of the way enough to keep the lift lines down and the groomers reasonably clear of no-talent hacks trying to injure me. The Vail purchase added lift lines, inflated property values, over-building, staff housing shortages and increased amounts of chuckleheads.

I missed peak Whitefish by 5-7 years. It’s gone the way of Breck.

Now I’m not going to completely kill your buzz, Whitefish still has good bones!

They have a t-bar way in the back (though the map still calls it the front) that saves powder for days after a storm. Chuckleheads can’t hang with a t-bar.

The Kandahar has a gourmet restaurant with a fixed price menu. I just looked it up, and the restaurant is now up for sale. Hopefully it comes back, great food and wine pairings (excellent, curated wine list).

The Hellroaring saloon is a throwback ski bar from the golden age. Pro tip: buy a hat and each time you wear it in, the second draft beer is free.

There’s a lot more to tell you, if you’d care to know, but that’s enough for my first post!

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2921.jpeg

IMG_2922.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

Any advice on where to stay at Taos?

Would like to ski in/out but doesn't look like there's much in the way of restaurants or amenities there.

How bad is the drive up/down the hill in the morning/afternoon? 

https://www.brownellchalet.com/

or

https://www.edelweisslodgeandspa.com/

Neither allow dogs, both have restaurants and bars.

Edelweiss has kitchens in each unit, underground parking and a hot tub.

The Brownell Chalet has excellent food and beer, is closer the the action (no stairs) and has a more reasonable price point.

The drive up 150 (aka the ski valley road) and the hike from the parking lot takes too much time away from both skiing and apres.

Let me be real with you: there’s virtually no apres at TSV or in town, so you better bring your own party if you like to go hard in the paint.

They’re opening up the Martini Tree full time this season, but it doesn’t have a ski bar vibe.

We’ve mostly been hitting Der Garten or The Blonde Bear, the restaurants at the two places I mentioned, for apres for a couple drinks and then bailing.

There are a couple other spots, but nothing like Vail, Park City, Aspen or even Steamboat.

Get groceries at Smith’s or Cid’s in town before you head up to TSV is you’re planning on cooking.

Based on my experience last season, I don’t go up without a case of water.

Based on my experience this year, so far, I won’t head up without a power backup (for a few hours).

Infrastructure has been spotty the last two years.

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

Is there much shopping around either of these?

Maybe half a day’s worth for a pro-shopper, and the shopping is equidistant to both places.

If everyone in your party isn’t a skier, then Taos is going to be tough to enjoy as a group.

The Edelweiss has spa services (as does the Blake), so that could be an option.

There are several orders of magnitude more shopping in town, but you can shop on amazon from anywhere as long as you have a phone, right?

Santa Fe has the pro shopping, though. Lucchese has a store on the main plaza.

20 hours ago, blacklab said:

Any advice on where to stay at Taos?

Would like to ski in/out but doesn't look like there's much in the way of restaurants or amenities there.

How bad is the drive up/down the hill in the morning/afternoon? 

To add to pudelpointer's very informative post: Another ski in and out is Snakedance Condos - probably the best value for the location if you are not looking for fancy - kitchens in rooms - Solid 3 star property with 5 star location.  If you want Fancy, The Blake Hotel.  The new Blake Residences that is attached to  the Blake Hotel has added a few retail shops but basically you can shop the Village in about an hour.  The town of Taos has some really nice art galleries and shops and 3-4 really good museums.  As stated, there are a few average restaurants in TSV, but I always stay in TSV and drive down in the evenings to eat dinner in town to get better food as I would rather drive to the food after the ski traffic than to ski area each way in traffic if that makes sense.  Favorite restaurants in town are: Lamberts (best in town imo), Medley, Orlandos, Pizanos, Trading Post.    

• Hook 'Em 1

We did some digging on hotels by the slopes and we found them either a) expensive or b) subpar and almost all were non-refundable and I am a BIG F that on anything non-refundable.  So, as of now, four our Taos trip we are staying in Town at La Fonda de Taos.  Technically this trip is not a ski trip because my wife didn't necessarily want me booking a second trip although I'm going to ski three days.  We've stayed in the town of Taos before and it offers more than TSV.  Yes, I prefer ski in/ski out too... immensely so... but I can't pull that off this time.  I am curious what the ski drive will be like in the mornings.  We've made the drive from town to TSV in the summer and I remember past Arroyo Seco it is a two-lane road in a deep valley.  Pretty though. 

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

We did some digging on hotels by the slopes and we found them either a) expensive or b) subpar and almost all were non-refundable and I am a BIG F that on anything non-refundable.  So, as of now, four our Taos trip we are staying in Town at La Fonda de Taos.  Technically this trip is not a ski trip because my wife didn't necessarily want me booking a second trip although I'm going to ski three days.  We've stayed in the town of Taos before and it offers more than TSV.  Yes, I prefer ski in/ski out too... immensely so... but I can't pull that off this time.  I am curious what the ski drive will be like in the mornings.  We've made the drive from town to TSV in the summer and I remember past Arroyo Seco it is a two-lane road in a deep valley.  Pretty though. 

La Fonda is cool and historic.  Right in the Taos Town Square.  Walk to shops and restaurants.  The drive up the mtn is not bad.  They maintain it very well.  The only time it will get major traffic is if a major storm cycle blows in and dumps then the powder hounds from Denver will come to poach the goods and it will get crowded....

17 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

La Fonda is cool and historic.  Right in the Taos Town Square.  Walk to shops and restaurants.  The drive up the mtn is not bad.  They maintain it very well.  The only time it will get major traffic is if a major storm cycle blows in and dumps then the powder hounds from Denver will come to poach the goods and it will get crowded....

That's why we picked it... right smack dab in the middle of everything.  Last time we stayed in Taos was the Inn on La Loma Plaza which was a great little place, as well.  Again, I keep telling myself (or my wife) this isn't a ski vacation... uh, but pack my skis, my boots, everyone's ski gear, etc.  

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

Thanks for the info guys.

My boys and I ski, the wife shops so we're trying to figure out the best for all of us.
I don't really want my wife driving my truck up and down the mountain if the road is icy/snowy.

I would have to agree that when it comes to "other things to do besides skiing" your options are:

1 - Santa Fe

2 - Taos

3 - Taos Ski Valley 

Based on my piss poor research Angel Fire looks like a unique mix of bad skiing and nothing to do

Edited by texasdago

Gents,

Lots of questions about New Mexico Highway 150, aka ‘Ski Valley Road’.

Usually the roads are clear, but things can go pear-shaped quickly. You’ll probably be fine, unless a storm hits.

I honestly worry more about the pass on Highway 518 between Mora and Sipapu than 150.

I’m going to give three pro tips:

1. Get new tires. I’ve bailed so many people out (dug, pulled, etc.) because they had Texas tires (i.e. old, hard tires with no tread that work fine when it’s warm and dry [blast furnace]). Last season a Texan with a 2500 GMC 4x4 2022 and tires with 45,000 miles on them (along with two kids and a crying wife) got stuck no less than three times outside of where I was staying. I and a couple other guys towed him out.

2. Get those new tires filled with nitrogen. Costco will do it. Air doesn’t like 10K ft in altitude change or 50 degree changes in temperature. Tire pressure is your friend.

3. Buy a small camp shovel (or entrenching tool) and keep it in the car. On the way down to Wednesday night at Sabroso (Jimmy Stadler does 3 sets in the bar every week, get there by 5:45 or there may not be a seat) a couple seasons ago I dug out a Lexus RX in under 10 minutes. An older couple had high-centered the car in the snow inches off the side of the road. Traction strips are good to have, too, but you can just use floor mats.

I always carry chains (and a Tyvek suit because you never need chains when it’s nice weather), but I haven’t needed them…yet. Been all over the mountains in the winter.

I also have a Grand Cherokee with a locking center differential: that, I have needed, but not on 150, not yet.

Overkill? Maybe. But when I travel, it’s just me and the dog. You guys sound like you have families in tow. Better a funny story than a ruined vacation.

IMG_2833.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, pudelpointer said:

1. Get new tires. I’ve bailed so many people out (dug, pulled, etc.) because they had Texas tires (i.e. old, hard tires with no tread that work fine when it’s warm and dry [blast furnace]). Last season a Texan with a 2500 GMC 4x4 2022 and tires with 45,000 miles on them (along with two kids and a crying wife) got stuck no less than three times outside of where I was staying. I and a couple other guys towed him out.

2. Get those new tires filled with nitrogen. Costco will do it. Air doesn’t like 10K ft in altitude change or 50 degree changes in temperature. Tire pressure is your friend.

I'd add to focus on the type of tire.  Lots of burly AT/mud tires are crap on the ice/snow.  Tires will cake up with ice like they do with mud, then you have a multi-ton ice sled with no traction.  4x4 might help you start, but it won't help you stop.  

I carry a portable air pump that I got off Amazon that has saved my butt multiple times in the mountains and at the ranch.  

Last item I'd add is a simple satellite communication device like a Garmin spot.  You get up in the mountains and things go sideways with limited cell service.  I use mine hunting and thankfully have never had to use it, but you know what they say about better to have and not to need.....

Dumb question amnesty - going to CB the week after Christmas and trying to figure out the best way to do the lift tickets. The Epic pass won't work because some of those days will be restricted days. We will only ski 3 or 4 of the days we will be there and I doubt they will be consecutive days, but the CB site tries to sell you consecutive days when buying a 4 day pass. It also says you can get refunds for any unused days if you request before 5pm on the last day of the pass.

Should I just buy 6 day passes and get a refund for the unused days on our last day of skiing? Do they scan your ticket every day and know if the days in-between went unused?

I called and talked to someone at the ticket office yesterday and the guy was nice and friendly, but also seemed a little overcooked and he couldn't really answer my question.

Expect to get fucked. 
went to heavenly at Tahoe a few years ago and bought a three day pass before the season started for $305.  On day two the lifts were closed due to high winds. Daily rate at that time was $150. So they offered me $5 refund for the day. ($305 - $150 -$150). I asked for a full day pass for later in the season and got that instead. 

9 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Dumb question amnesty - going to CB the week after Christmas and trying to figure out the best way to do the lift tickets. The Epic pass won't work because some of those days will be restricted days. We will only ski 3 or 4 of the days we will be there and I doubt they will be consecutive days, but the CB site tries to sell you consecutive days when buying a 4 day pass. It also says you can get refunds for any unused days if you request before 5pm on the last day of the pass.

Should I just buy 6 day passes and get a refund for the unused days on our last day of skiing? Do they scan your ticket every day and know if the days in-between went unused?

I called and talked to someone at the ticket office yesterday and the guy was nice and friendly, but also seemed a little overcooked and he couldn't really answer my question.

9 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I wrote a long, and what I consider informative reply, and the tech ate it. *Frustrating*

For cheap go to Powder Mountain, Grand Targhee, Sunlight or Powderhorn.

If not, buy an Epic season pass and use buddy passes or work through your lodging provider for a discount (doubtful).

You’re paying Highland Park prices going to Crested Butte between Christmas and New Year’s for nothing. None of the steeps will be open (not that your family is hucking cliffs).

• Hook 'Em 1