Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

How does Beaver Creek get 11” and Vail gets twice that in the same time period?

Because they are in different locations.  My house is 10 min from Winter Park.  The resort gets a lot more snow than we do at the house.

34 minutes ago, texasdago said:

By the way... am I the only one who, after a long layoff from skiing, gets ready for that first run and thinks, "duh, do I remember how to ski!?"

By long layoff I mean from spring to the n st season... not years.  It's not logical but...

Yes, you are the only one.  It takes me one run before I'm back into the groove.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Because they are in different locations.  My house is 10 min from Winter Park.  The resort gets a lot more snow than we do at the house.

Yes, you are the only one.  It takes me one run before I'm back into the groove.

Oh let me clarify.  It takes me a run before I know WTF I'm doing again... and usual just skating over to the lift resets my head.  I'm talking about like right now.  I'll be pushing myself within a couple of runs.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Taos got 11", and just 30 miles north Red River got 0". I know there's a pretty big elevation difference, and 30 miles isn't super close.

At least some places are getting something.

Just validates what I told my friends about skipping Angel Fire and going to Taos.  Angel Fire also got 0"

I want that sort of pic to be more common, but the outlook is very bleak. The flip in the pattern continues to be 10 days away every time I look at the extended forecast. Post-Christmas weather forecast is getting closer and closer to reality, and all we are really looking at for Red River NM is manmade snow.

Amazingly dry December. Thanks El Nino.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

I want that sort of pic to be more common, but the outlook is very bleak. The flip in the pattern continues to be 10 days away every time I look at the extended forecast. Post-Christmas weather forecast is getting closer and closer to reality, and all we are really looking at for Red River NM is manmade snow.

Amazingly dry December. Thanks El Nino.

Yeah, its weird because it looks like the better snow is further north rather than south.  I've already seen one person wondering if this year's EN won't act the same way because of warming somewhere or other. I don't remember the rationale.  The next expected snow in Taos is 1" :/  I did see they opened up one more lift today.  At least I think Taos holds snow well but man we need more.

Can someone school me on Winter Park as a destination for a family trip.  I don't need a bunch of nightlife but would like all the basics.  Decent restaurants/bars/pubs, activities, go for a walk around.  Been to Breckenridge, Park City and Steamboat.  Been to all 3 multiple times.  Is Winter Park up to pace with those 3?

What are the cons?  Too close to Denver?  Crowded?

18 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Can someone school me on Winter Park as a destination for a family trip.  I don't need a bunch of nightlife but would like all the basics.  Decent restaurants/bars/pubs, activities, go for a walk around.  Been to Breckenridge, Park City and Steamboat.  Been to all 3 multiple times.  Is Winter Park up to pace with those 3?

What are the cons?  Too close to Denver?  Crowded?

WP is more laid back than Breck or Steamboat.  Not quite as many dining options as the others, but still plenty for a trip.  The mountain is better than Steamboat or Breck, IMO.  I've never skied PC.  WP feels more like a town and less like a resort.  Up to you whether you prefer the Vail/Breck vibe or something a bit more relaxed.  I prefer WP, personally.

Every major ski area in CO is crowded during ski season.  Town is less crowded as a lot of the WP skiers are day trippers from Denver.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

WP is more laid back than Breck or Steamboat.  Not quite as many dining options as the others, but still plenty for a trip.  The mountain is better than Steamboat or Breck, IMO.  I've never skied PC.  WP feels more like a town and less like a resort.  Up to you whether you prefer the Vail/Breck vibe or something a bit more relaxed.  I prefer WP, personally.

Every major ski area in CO is crowded during ski season.  Town is less crowded as a lot of the WP skiers are day trippers from Denver.

Good intel.

Any “can’t miss” places like a brewery or pizza place?

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Good intel.

Any “can’t miss” places like a brewery or pizza place?

Hernando's is the big pizza joint in town (been around a long time).  Gets really busy.  There are a few breweries.  There's Hideaway Park in downtown WP, and then Fraser River Beer Company is my favorite in Fraser, but there are several.  Idlewild and Fraser Valley Distilling are 2 distilleries.  Idlewild has better food.  Volario's (if it is open) is good Italian, but it's pricey.  Durbar is solid Indian food.  I heard they opened a Thai place next door to the Indian place but I haven't tried it yet.  If you like charcuterie, South & West Provisions is fantastic - they make trays to go or to eat there.  Fraser Valley Hot Dog has great hotdogs, but even better burgers.  Seriously one of the best burgers I've ever had.  They're only open for lunch, though.  Tabernash Tavern is the best restaurant in the area.  It's pricey and you need reservations.  Really good food, though.

If you have any more questions, let me know.  I've had a house in Fraser for 8 years.

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, its weird because it looks like the better snow is further north rather than south.  I've already seen one person wondering if this year's EN won't act the same way because of warming somewhere or other. I don't remember the rationale.  The next expected snow in Taos is 1" :/  I did see they opened up one more lift today.  At least I think Taos holds snow well but man we need more.

Winter Park got 30" last week.  You might need to move north.

Action Recommended

Make preparations per the instructions

Issued By

Albuquerque - NM, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Portions of north central and northeast New Mexico

Description

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 2 AM MST FRIDAY... WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations between 4 to 12 inches below 7,500 feet with higher amounts of 10 to 24 inches above 7,500 feet. Up to one tenth of an inch of ice accumulation is possible in Union and Harding counties. WHERE...Portions of north central and northeast New Mexico. WHEN...From 11 AM this morning to 2 AM MST Friday. IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Some roads may be closed. Significant travel delays are possible. The hazardous conditions could impact the Wednesday evening and Thursday morning commutes.

We're headed to Aspen for a few days in early January. We were planning on flying but are now thinking about driving (from Austin) so we can stop in Santa Fe on the way and see some friends.  Barring the occasional winter storm is the drive from Santa Fe to Aspen pretty doable that time of year?  We drive to SF quite a bit around Christmas and drive to CO in the summer but rarely drive to CO in the snowy months.  

36 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

We're headed to Aspen for a few days in early January. We were planning on flying but are now thinking about driving (from Austin) so we can stop in Santa Fe on the way and see some friends.  Barring the occasional winter storm is the drive from Santa Fe to Aspen pretty doable that time of year?  We drive to SF quite a bit around Christmas and drive to CO in the summer but rarely drive to CO in the snowy months.  

I think it just depends on the conditions at the time.  We've done the winter drive twice and plan on doing it twice this year.

One year we drove up to Roswell from Austin, stopped for the night and then continued on to Purgatory where we had some winter weather but it was reasonable.  The brunt was more along the I-70 corridor.  The following year we stopped in Santa Fe on the way to Crested Butte.  Honestly, the worst of it was Austin to about Brownwood... ice on the road, wind, etc.  We took our time but it kind of sucked.  From SF to CB, we didn't really encounter any issues.  If there isn't an active storm system, I would think you'll be fine.  It just matters on what mother nature plans on throwing at you those days.

1 minute ago, LonghornJones said:

Dago, do you switch out tires for NM or CO driving during the winter?

We drive my wife's Jeep which has M+S tires and is a 4x4.  My only concern this upcoming trip is the tread depth on the tires... I don't know.  We'll be based on Taos.  I do know this... we're making a straight shot from Austin to Taos so I will most likely opt to not drive over that mountain pass by Sipapu to get to Taos and will most likely take a slightly longer way to Santa Fe.  We always go the 281 way vs taking 71 since it feels less desolate.  That may or may not be true.  I don't know.  

For our spring trip, we should be in a new Jeep... hopefully we get another one with M+S tires.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

What car do you drive and what tires are on it?

3 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

You need to be compliant with the CO Traction Law:  https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/tractionlaw

Do not skimp on this.  You can put yourself and others in danger and you can royally fuck up traffic if your car is not up to the task during a winter storm.

6 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

2023 Z71 4x4 Suburban with tires that came on it (not sure what kind but assume with that package some sort of off road light).  Only 15K miles on the vehicle so tread is pretty fresh. 

Read the traction law I posted above.  Make sure you are compliant.  Nothing can fuck up traffic like people driving cars in a storm that shouldn't be there.  Tires are the most important thing in snow and ice.

Was it last year or maybe the year before when Christmas conditions sucked in CO?  I think it was 2021-2022.  Hopefully another storm cycle or two will help.  I know one of you is going to CB... 2" fresh today and it looks like they're slowly opening more terrain.  I think 7-8 of these blacks are open so you've got a decent amount of frontside options from green to black.  No doubles/T-bars...too early in the season.

image.png.2f0235f7da3f15fd23402563b0d92c1b.png

If my memory is correct this should be Twister... good bump run...

image.thumb.jpeg.6d3a373e5d8ab3a51b22aa5f618f77c3.jpeg

Edited by texasdago

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Read the traction law I posted above.  Make sure you are compliant.  Nothing can fuck up traffic like people driving cars in a storm that shouldn't be there.  Tires are the most important thing in snow and ice.

Thanks for posting this... I always sweat this because its good to have a healthy respect for snow.  We tick off the top two items for this next trip.  Should have a new vehicle by March and we should be good there.  Nothing will ever top going over Mt Rose Pass in a blizzard... really couldn't see the snow stakes on the side of the road and had to stop at times because I couldn't see past my hood.   

Went over Berthoud Pass at about 11 PM one time that was another butt puckering experience.  Good news is that this is what it looked like the next morning in Fraser and WP two days later was amazing...

image.thumb.png.4f84461ec4f100ce644d1a8ea715e4e4.png

1. 4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
  2. Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth 
  3. Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth 
  4. Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
  5. Chains or an approved alternative traction device
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, Gale Snoats said:

In addition to the tire requirements that have been covered, I suspect you are aware that Independence Pass is closed for the season.  You have a few options.  It’s longer but you can do freeway much of the way by using I25 north, going around Denver, and hitting I70 West to Glenwood Springs and then down to Aspen on 82.  If it’s good weather you can haul ass on I25 and I70.  Or, you can go through central Colorado using 285 north much of the way.  You’ll hit I70 just west of Vail.  I’ve done both and it depends on the weather and how you like to drive.  We go to Snowmass a few times a year now and we stopped trying to drive there in the winter.  Hell, the flights into Aspen can be challenging.  Last year my family was delayed a couple of days getting in because of heavy snowstorms. 

Anyone have recs for some cheap emergency snow chains that I could travel with? I reserved a 4WD Ram via Turo because renting a big SUV in Gunnison was going to be close to $2k for a week. It looks like the truck has pretty new Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on it in the pictures, but those have terrible reviews online about their performance in the snow. There's a 4WD 4Runner I'll have access to once I get to the house in CB, but there's also a pretty steep road to get up to the house. 

These are probably not viable for a drive through a hairy mountain pass, but I'm thinking about 2 sets of these for the rear tires or something similar just in case there is fresh snow on the road up to the house. Or maybe I'm overthinking it and won't need anything at all. I know that road gets plowed after every significant snow so it might not be an issue in a 4WD truck.

image.png.30cfc977453331b319974d82bb96253c.png

https://a.co/d/e8CA5nR

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Anyone have recs for some cheap emergency snow chains that I could travel with? I reserved a 4WD Ram via Turo because renting a big SUV in Gunnison was going to be close to $2k for a week. It looks like the truck has pretty new Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on it in the pictures, but those have terrible reviews online about their performance in the snow. There's a 4WD 4Runner I'll have access to once I get to the house in CB, but there's also a pretty steep road to get up to the house. 

These are probably not viable for a drive through a hairy mountain pass, but I'm thinking about 2 sets of these for the rear tires or something similar just in case there is fresh snow on the road up to the house. Or maybe I'm overthinking it and won't need anything at all. I know that road gets plowed after every significant snow so it might not be an issue in a 4WD truck.

image.png.30cfc977453331b319974d82bb96253c.png

https://a.co/d/e8CA5nR

Are you talking about just getting from Gunnison Airport to Crested Butte?