Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

I never stop thinking about ski season, especially when its going to be 109 today.  The thought of cool refreshing weather...... I digress.

Due to a variety of factors laid out in my last 2022/2023, we are going to hit up Crested Butte again this year aside from any other shorter trips.  Ironically, I spent some time with a spreadsheet comparing a "fly to" ski vacation domestically and a ski vacation again in France and France would have cost the same, if not slightly less.  Crazy.

Anyway, we will be staying in a true ski in/ski out no frills condo.

I like this guy's videos because he does a good job of documenting a lot of the great terrain at CB...

Nice!  Are you driving or flying to CB? Have you looked into JSX?  This year I will do the same as last - book monthly trips Jan/Feb/March to Taos on JSX - Leave Dallas Love Field on Fridays at 7 am - arrive in Taos at 8:30 am MT and ski Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Return on the 5 PM Sunday Flight and have dinner at home in DFW.  It is a gamechanger for me - miss one day of work per month and ski 3 days....Also going with family to Big Sky MT/Bridger Bowl MT the week after new years for 5 days of skiing...thats the plan for next year just for starters....Will slip in more I hope

We are actually going to drive to save a few pennies.  We've made the drive before and while not completely enjoyable it's not bad.  Last time we drove to Crested Butte we went from Austin to Santa Fe, stay the night, and then continued on.  We also looked at Taos but I found that lodging was either ridiculously priced or non-refundable and I don't play the non-refundable game.

Out of curiosity, how much are those flights?

46 minutes ago, texasdago said:

We are actually going to drive to save a few pennies.  We've made the drive before and while not completely enjoyable it's not bad.  Last time we drove to Crested Butte we went from Austin to Santa Fe, stay the night, and then continued on.  We also looked at Taos but I found that lodging was either ridiculously priced or non-refundable and I don't play the non-refundable game.

Out of curiosity, how much are those flights?

Actually not bad for a semi-private experience.  About the same as flying refundable economy on AA out of Austin to Denver actually.  

EDIT:  I just checked for December 14th - 21st leaving Dallas and going to Taos.  Will run you $850 round trip per person.  Again - not bad for flying to Taos.

I'm actually hoping they add a Durango flight at some point.  The airport is small enough to accommodate the small aircraft JSX uses.  We bought a place in Pagosa Springs last year and spent quite a few days at Wolf Creek and Purgatory last year.  The drive is actually pretty easy getting up there, it's coming back that has been an issue for us in the past because of the amount of snow they get.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Actually not bad for a semi-private experience.  About the same as flying refundable economy on AA out of Austin to Denver actually.  

I'm actually hoping they add a Durango flight at some point.  The airport is small enough to accommodate the small aircraft JSX uses.  We bought a place in Pagosa Springs last year and spent quite a few days at Wolf Creek and Purgatory last year.  The drive is actually pretty easy getting up there, it's coming back that has been an issue for us in the past because of the amount of snow they get.

I'll have to look into it because I love the idea of quick weekend ski trips especially when I don't have to buy tickets for the whole family.  

I just checked JSX from Love Field to CB/Gunnison in mid Jan - $778 per roundtrip.  One tip to remember when flying to Taos - The Taos Air program was contracted to JSX last year but as far as I understand, they still honor free ski and boot rentals (upgraded very good skis/boots) up to 5 ski days I think with a roundtrip airfare on Taos Air/JSX so makes for a great value if you dont want to bring your own or if you are renting....

On 7/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, JCHIL said:

I just checked JSX from Love Field to CB/Gunnison in mid Jan - $778 per roundtrip.  One tip to remember when flying to Taos - The Taos Air program was contracted to JSX last year but as far as I understand, they still honor free ski and boot rentals (upgraded very good skis/boots) up to 5 ski days I think with a roundtrip airfare on Taos Air/JSX so makes for a great value if you dont want to bring your own or if you are renting....

One place I'd like to eventually try is Ski Santa Fe.  I've heard that with a good base of snow it has a lot of great skiing... really want to check it out sometime.  Plus you're next to SF which kicks ass.

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

One place I'd like to eventually try is Ski Santa Fe.  I've heard that with a good base of snow it has a lot of great skiing... really want to check it out sometime.  Plus you're next to SF which kicks ass.

It’s not on Taos level but very good quality place to ski and stay close to Santa Fe.  SF had a great snowfall year last year, i think it beat Taos last year…..

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, texasdago said:

I've been through SF many times on the way to our place near wolf creek.  It's okay but I honestly don't understand the hype about the town.  Maybe I'm just seeing the wrong parts.

Edit: I should caveat this with Bode's in Abbiqui having some seriously badass breakfast burritos.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

9 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I've been through SF many times on the way to our place near wolf creek.  It's okay but I honestly don't understand the hype about the town.  Maybe I'm just seeing the wrong parts.

Edit: I should caveat this with Bode's in Abbiqui having some seriously badass breakfast burritos.

Maybe once you've driven though places like Clovis, Fort Sumner and Cline's Corners, Santa Fe looks like a shining city on a hill.

This guy must have hit SF on an epic day...

have trips to Whistler (flying) and CB (driving, i think although weighing the JSX option) and 90% going to pull the trigger on Portillo for July next year.  wife is on board, just have to work out all the kids' HS sports bullsht and how early they start prior to actual classes.  Want to go as late in July as possible i think to get the best snow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Skied and Rode Santa Fe a gazillion days since College in the early 90s. Love that place on a powder day/ storm event. Keep going back; if it sucks we just head on to Wolf Creek.
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Born to Run said:
On 7/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, texasdago said:

Skied and Rode Santa Fe a gazillion days since College in the early 90s. Love that place on a powder day/ storm event. Keep going back; if it sucks we just head on to Wolf Creek.

If you're ever around Pagosa, shoot me a DM and I'll buy you a beer.  Wife and I bought a place there last year and spend summer/winter there.

Just booked Red River, NM with the family between Christmas and New Years. This will be my first trip ever to RR. I am a little worried abt the amount of snow at that time of year, but we are going to chance it. Any recs on places to eat, etc., would be appreciated. We re staying slope side and will be driving the 9-10 hours.

Have Big Sky, MT booked for January. This will be my first time skiing in Montana, and I cant wait. I am pretty sure I am geared up for any potential super cold weather, but I guess we will find out.

I am really excited to ski some new mountains, and my kids are equally excited to hit the slopes in ski school.

6 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

I am really excited to ski some new mountains, and my kids are equally excited to hit the slopes in ski school

I'm like you. I love skiing new mountains even if only for a day. When we went out to Mount Bachelor and Timberline and Ski Bowl this summer I was thinking how much I would love to go check them out in the winter time. I thought the same when I went to Red River in the summertime. Not sure how it would be in the Christmas time frame but if push comes to shove I suppose you could drive over to Taos

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Have Big Sky, MT booked for January. This will be my first time skiing in Montana, and I cant wait. I am pretty sure I am geared up for any potential super cold weather, but I guess we will find out.

Lone Peak tram has an extra charge beyond regular lift ticket price.  

https://www.powder.com/trending-news/big-sky-tram-price

• Hook 'Em 1

Just booked Red River, NM with the family between Christmas and New Years. This will be my first trip ever to RR. I am a little worried abt the amount of snow at that time of year, but we are going to chance it. Any recs on places to eat, etc., would be appreciated. We re staying slope side and will be driving the 9-10 hours.
I am really excited to ski some new mountains, and my kids are equally excited to hit the slopes in ski school.

Been there the last two years from
The day after Christmas thru NYE. Plenty of snow. In fact, the locals said this past year was busier because Angel Fire and Taos were light on powder.

Not many options for food and drink. Shotgun Willie's for breakfast. Capo's is decent. Red River Brewing is the main spot to eat in town, so if you want food get there early or way late. Brett's makes a good CFS, and they have a large one
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Been there the last two years from
The day after Christmas thru NYE. Plenty of snow. In fact, the locals said this past year was busier because Angel Fire and Taos were light on powder.

I know last year was extraordinary regarding snowfall, so I am keeping my expectations tempered yet hopeful. The town looks really quaint, which will make my wife happy.

It's nice enough. Not much to do there besides ski. Only a couple places open once the sun goes down, hence the madhouse at the brewery. I think by our second day there we had made it to everywhere of significance on Main Street. Bring your own hooch or be prepared to pay 40% more than usual, and the selection sucks.

Also, 81 mile stretch from Clayton, NM to Springer has absolutely nothing but tumbleweeds. No gas stations, no roadside park, nothing. So make sure you have plenty of gas, snacks, and do your paperwork at the Allsup's in Texline.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It's nice enough. Not much to do there besides ski. Only a couple places open once the sun goes down, hence the madhouse at the brewery. I think by our second day there we had made it to everywhere of significance on Main Street. Bring your own hooch or be prepared to pay 40% more than usual, and the selection sucks.

Also, 81 mile stretch from Clayton, NM to Springer has absolutely nothing but tumbleweeds. No gas stations, no roadside park, nothing. So make sure you have plenty of gas, snacks, and do your paperwork at the Allsup's in Texline.

That section... it is awful.  I would go the slightly longer way just to come up through Santa Fe... its not like it is scenic from Fort Sumner but, man, it is better than that other road.  Terrible.  Did I mention it is terrible?

On the way up there we got stuck about 20 cars back behind a couple of 18 wheelers going 55mph. I don't know that I've ever been as close to committing homicide as I was at that moment. And then on the way home I didn't have a single vehicle in front of me and I set the cruise on 97 and sailed all the way to Clayton. But yes, fuck that road.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

On the way up there we got stuck about 20 cars back behind a couple of 18 wheelers going 55mph. I don't know that I've ever been as close to committing homicide as I was at that moment. And then on the way home I didn't have a single vehicle in front of me and I set the cruise on 97 and sailed all the way to Clayton. But yes, fuck that road.

I remember doing that same stretch of road when I was in high school - in a '91 4Runner with a severely under powered 3.0 V6. Getting stuck behind a semi and needing a long stretch of open road to get up the speed to pass was absolute misery. 

3 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I remember doing that same stretch of road when I was in high school - in a '91 4Runner with a severely under powered 3.0 V6. Getting stuck behind a semi and needing a long stretch of open road to get up the speed to pass was absolute misery. 

Only done that road once coming back from Crested Butte.  Once.  Never again.  I'll take the long way.  When we go to CB, we blow all the way to Santa Fe the first night and then finish out the next day.  On the way back, we stop in Lubbock and the Cotton Court and then go to Austin.  Its a good split for us from Austin.  

BUT

Maaaan... if I could I really would love to go back to France or Italy.  Maybe some magical air fare fairy will show up.  Was thinking about the food on the mountain in Italy.  So worth it.  

image.thumb.png.966d2fa3c2cbf99069e31188090e37e5.png

That and the mid-afternoon bombardino.  Boozy dessert...

image.thumb.png.9cc1135be2932cb94506d5563bb8373c.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 3

I am in the market for some ski boots. I have never bought ski boots before, but I think its abt time, and, I really just like gear and I want to buy some gear. It needs to be from REI, since I have a gift card there. I am NOT trying to spend $600-$700, but if it gives me the most comfortable day on the mountain, I would.

https://www.rei.com/c/downhill-ski-boots

The reviews on the below boots are amazing, but I just want some outside opinions on brands since I have only a rented in the past, and I take whatever fits and is given to me at the rental shop.

I like groomers, and ski resorts. I am a strong intermediate skier, but do not go outside the ropes. I like trees, but spend abt 5% in them. Thoughts?

image.png.55125f782d6ec998d169ab0093911d3c.png

24 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

I am in the market for some ski boots. I have never bought ski boots before, but I think its abt time, and, I really just like gear and I want to buy some gear. It needs to be from REI, since I have a gift card there. I am NOT trying to spend $600-$700, but if it gives me the most comfortable day on the mountain, I would.

https://www.rei.com/c/downhill-ski-boots

The reviews on the below boots are amazing, but I just want some outside opinions on brands since I have only a rented in the past, and I take whatever fits and is given to me at the rental shop.

I like groomers, and ski resorts. I am a strong intermediate skier, but do not go outside the ropes. I like trees, but spend abt 5% in them. Thoughts?

image.png.55125f782d6ec998d169ab0093911d3c.png

IMO the best ski boot recommendation is this:  don't shop the brand, shop the fit as each boot/brand favors different shapes and fits from narrow to wide, etc.  Go to a competent ski shop with competent boot fitting personnel.  Most every ski town has that shop/boot fitter that has been boot fitting for years with hundreds of customers and is a known guru on how to find the perfect boot/fit and inserts for you.  I know you want to buy from REI but unless you luck out and find an experienced guru in the REI ski boot department in BFE Texas or some other REI not in a ski area, your odds that you will get the perfect fit is very low IMO.  If you are around Taos or Telluride, I think the Boot Doctors are excellent and are known for being experts in the boot selection/fitting business.....

Usually there are good in-depth reviews out there on specific boots.  See what you can find.  I suspect you don't need to spend that much and based on your description of what you like to ski, I think those might be overkill.  

I have some Atomics that I really like... very comfortable, medium-stiffness... I keep that power strap tight like a mofo and they feel completely comfortable on any slope.  

On 8/9/2023 at 7:48 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Going to tag onto his question.  We have friends trying to convince us to go to Angel Fire for NYE.  What's the mountain like?  The trail map leaves me relatively uninmpressed but I suppose I could make the best of it for a couple of days and tack on a day trip over to Taos or Red River that way I can mix it up for a few days.  I think they rented an AirBnB.  If I can mix in more than Angel Fire and add in the other mountains, it looks like I can keep myself busy.  Thoughts?  Blacks at AF look short and I imagine on the easier side.  Looks like the best options are hike-to terrain?

Edited by texasdago

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Going to tag onto his question.  We have friends trying to convince us to go to Angel Fire for NYE.  What's the mountain like?  The trail map leaves me relatively uninmpressed but I suppose I could make the best of it for a couple of days and tack on a day trip over to Taos or Red River that way I can mix it up for a few days.  I think they rented an AirBnB.  If I can mix in more than Angel Fire and add in the other mountains, it looks like I can keep myself busy.  Thoughts?  Blacks at AF look short and I imagine on the easier side.  Looks like the best options are hike-to terrain?

I haven’t skied AF in over a decade but with that said, the terrain as i remember it could  keep an average skier busy for a few days.  My concern for NYE at AF would  be lack  of snow accumulation as is always the case with most ski resorts in southern rockies but AF seems to lag behind RR and Taos in early season and although AF base is 8600, the AF summit is 10,500 or so compared to Taos at 12400.. Both Taos and RR only 30-40 miles away within the Enchanted Circle would give good options for day trips.  Taos has some of the best snowmaking capabilities in SW so they can always open their main front side runs no matter the conditions…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JCHIL said:

I haven’t skied AF in over a decade but with that said, the terrain as i remember it could  keep an average skier busy for a few days.  My concern for NYE at AF would  be lack  of snow accumulation as is always the case with most ski resorts in southern rockies but AF seems to lag behind RR and Taos in early season and although AF base is 8600, the AF summit is 10,500 or so compared to Taos at 12400.. Both Taos and RR only 30-40 miles away within the Enchanted Circle would give good options for day trips.  Taos has some of the best snowmaking capabilities in SW so they can always open their main front side runs no matter the conditions…

What worries me is that maybe some of my family members would like the bulk of the standard runs where I would get bored really fast.  I'm sure all of the terrain that interests me has zero snowmaking and usually the harder runs need better snow cover.  Hmmm

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

What worries me is that maybe some of my family members would like the bulk of the standard runs where I would get bored really fast.  I'm sure all of the terrain that interests me has zero snowmaking and usually the harder runs need better snow cover.  Hmmm

Valid concern but with any luck, Taos usually has some challenging slopes and portions of the double diamond “ridge” runs open by NYE.  TSV is always your best bet for challenging terrain and snow conditions in the Enchanted Circle no matter the time frame with late Jan to end of Feb being the prime time for ski conditions in the Southwrn rockies  ..RR and AF not really in the same league as TSV

Edited by JCHIL
  • Hook 'Em 1

Early season anywhere is a crapshoot. I lived in Denver a while and my take is that Colorado  doesn’t get as much coverage as some other western states. You’ll be seeing 40” bases on most places that aren’t wolf creek in December, if you’re lucky. I like to have 60-80 before I’m not worried about finding rocks and stumps while I’m running trees. 

Never skied Steamboat.  Not a huge fan of Keystone and if I were to rank Summit County mountains, I would say 1) A-Basin 2) Copper Mountain 3) Breck 4) Keystone.  That's my personal opinion, though.  Purgatory is a smaller mountain so Breck is much larger.  Only skied Purgatory on one trip for 5 days which was fine especially if you got to the back side quickly and then you had the harder runs all to yourself.  What kind of a skier are you?    

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 1:14 PM, texasdago said:

Mount Bachelor

I don't follow the ski threads like I should but this is my home mountain.  I got 36 'days' in last year.  Now unlike most of you I took up snowboarding at age 49 (before Covid closed the mountain) having not done any winter sports at all prior.  Also, when I put quotes on 'days' its because some days are just a few hours after work.   Kind of spoiled with a season pass and a local mountain.   So I'm not great, mostly blues, a few blacks, and plenty of skiers and boarders are way faster/much more skilled than me.  There's just a difference between people who learned at a young age and someone taking it up in their old age.  That said, I have fun and I've given my son the gift of lessons in a sport I never got to participate in.  So hopefully as an adult he'll have a level of skill I never did.  Also fun being part of the culture and occaisionally catching some pros riding around (in snowboarding, I wouldn't know the pro skiers).

Anyway I do forget to check the hobbies board but if any of you make it up to Bachy, ping me and maybe I can join you on your warm up runs before you move on to the bigger stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

Steamboat has more early season snow, imo. I have no stats to back that up.
I have only been to SS once, and one of the days was a Powdercats trip with 13" of fresh. The main mountain got 6-8". Flew in to Hayden. I really want to go back, and plan on taking the family in the next few years.
Powdercats is 850/ person now, FYI. Was 550 pre COVID.