Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

On 9/8/2023 at 6:29 PM, PRONG HORN said:

If you go to Aspen and have to ask, you shouldn't be going to Aspen.  

But what if he lives there?

On 9/8/2023 at 6:51 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Negative, ghostrider. The 'locals' pass is 7 total days for the season. The unlimited pass is $3K.  

Really?  Damn, that sucks.

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I try to tell myself my $/turns is low because I never wait in a lift line.

It was easier when a single flex was $800 a season, but it's almost doubled in price. 

Shit, my Ikon Pass costs $800, but at least I get variety with that.  Maybe this year I'll actually go somewhere other than Steamboat and WP.

Back to my NM topic, looks like I convinced our friends that if we do NM for NYE, it needs to be Taos, not Angel Fire.  Thank God.  The more I look at Angel Fire, the less I want to visit.   Sorry if someone likes it.  It just looks bad on/off the mountain.  I guess if you own a cabin there and go to get away, it would work but it won't work for me.  I'd be tempted to go further to Wolf Creek/Pagosa but I don't think I can convince anyone else.  

On 9/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, Chewbacca said:

Shit, my Ikon Pass costs $800, but at least I get variety with that.  Maybe this year I'll actually go somewhere other than Steamboat and WP.

yeah walk up price at vail is more than aspen, but the locals epic is $700 for the full season versus $3K for aspen. 

my next door neighbor is a senior vp at aspen skico...he's probably done $100K+ in house renos over the course of the last several months. fucker.

Booked Taos for right about NYE and then a few days after.  Hoping Chris Farley brings some copious early season snowfall so that there are at least a few black runs open.  Fingers crossed, little flute-playing kachina dancing doll.  

I'm assuming despite the elevation, Kachina Peak is not hikeable/skiable early season (?) 

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Booked Taos for right about NYE and then a few days after.  Hoping Chris Farley brings some copious early season snowfall so that there are at least a few black runs open.  Fingers crossed, little flute-playing kachina dancing doll.  

I'm assuming despite the elevation, Kachina Peak is not hikeable/skiable early season (?) 

Good choice!  The NYE laser/torchlight skiers/fireworks show at TSV is actually quite impressive - be sure to make early reservations at a TSV restaurant before the show starts right at dark as most restaurants close early and the show lasts almost 2 hours....   I was in TSV this past weekend and the talk amongst the locals was that La Nina will bless TSV with good snow again this year...I have skied TSV around xmas to new years the last 9-10 years and it is hit or miss that early but this year I skied the week after New Years and they did have the first few runs, Hidalgo and Juarez, open on the Highline Ridge  (there are two hikeable ridges, Highline and West Basin - Highline usually opens first as West Basin is slightly more gnarly and rocky/steep.  Kachina Peak is the end of the line of the Highline Ridge and is now serviced by the lift at 12,481 ft.   It takes close to a 70 inch base to open Kachina Peak Lift and all of the ridges so highly unlikely all of it will be open until late Jan like most years....but if you have some good early snow, a few may be able to open)  Your best hope (and mine) is that there is just enough good snow to open the front side blacks/double blacks - probably some of the best runs on the whole mountain and the least skied.....Al's, Spencer's, Rhoda's, Jean's Glade, Longhorn, North American, Lorelei to name a few...

Also, Another really cool thing to do that is non-ski related but I thought I would mention...if you dont hit the hooch too hard on NYE,  the Taos Pueblo natives have a Turtle Dance that is open to the public at daybreak on New Years Day (starts at 7:30 am I think, I cant remember) but it is a stunningly beautiful and primal event that I cannot recommend enough if you are into original ceremonies that date back 1000 years from this tribe - it is a once in a lifetime visual for sure......

Edited by JCHIL
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Good choice!  The NYE laser/torchlight skiers/fireworks show at TSV is actually quite impressive - be sure to make early reservations at a TSV restaurant before the show starts right at dark as most restaurants close early and the show lasts almost 2 hours....   I was in TSV this past weekend and the talk amongst the locals was that La Nina will bless TSV with good snow again this year...I have skied TSV around xmas to new years the last 9-10 years and it is hit or miss that early but this year I skied the week after New Years and they did have the first few runs, Hidalgo and Juarez, open on the Highline Ridge  (there are two hikeable ridges, Highline and West Basin - Highline usually opens first as West Basin is slightly more gnarly and rocky/steep.  Kachina Peak is the end of the line of the Highline Ridge and is now serviced by the lift at 12,481 ft.   It takes close to a 70 inch base to open Kachina Peak Lift and all of the ridges so highly unlikely all of it will be open until late Jan like most years....but if you have some good early snow, a few may be able to open)  Your best hope (and mine) is that there is just enough good snow to open the front side blacks/double blacks - probably some of the best runs on the whole mountain and the least skied.....Al's, Spencer's, Rhoda's, Jean's Glade, Longhorn, North American, Lorelei to name a few...

Also, Another really cool thing to do that is non-ski related but I thought I would mention...if you dont hit the hooch too hard on NYE,  the Taos Pueblo natives have a Turtle Dance that is open to the public at daybreak on New Years Day (starts at 7:30 am I think, I cant remember) but it is a stunningly beautiful and primal event that I cannot recommend enough if you are into original ceremonies that date back 1000 years from this tribe - it is a once in a lifetime visual for sure......

This is some of the best insight I've gotten.  Than you!  I really appreciate it!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

This is some of the best insight I've gotten.  Than you!  I really appreciate it!!!

Restaurants - TSV is fairly limited and nothing up there is noteworthy....The Bavarian on the Backside at Lift 4 is great for lunch or apres ski - Rare German Beers on Tap and authentic bavarian fare...great patio to hang out on if the weather is good.  A must if the backside (lift 4)  is open.  Ski in Ski out.

Town of Taos -

Orlandos - New-Mex Mex - casual - solid!

Lambert's - The best Restaurant in Taos IMHO - white linen but hey its Taos so casual.

Between Taos and TSV (Closer drive from ski valley than going all the way in town)

Medleys - New player in Town the last few years - solid Chef inspired - white linen

ACEQ - Closest down the mtn from ski valley in Arroyo Seco - super solid menu and preparation - Chef inspired

Farmhouse Cafe - Great breakfast spot sourcing local organic suppliers

How do y'all get ready fitness wise for ski season.  Due to my assorted collection of knee injuries, I have to train year-round so I'm mostly ready by the time season rolls around.  I try to mix in the following throughout my workouts...

- Some heavy lifting days which for me and my knees consist of lifts like barbell hack squats, landmine deadlifts, landmine RDL

- KB work like KB swings, KB Goblet squats, one leg KB RDL, KB step ups

- Mixed plyometrics like box jumps, side to side hops, jumping lunges, jump squats, MB slams to jumps

- Some other balance work like static holds on a Bosu ball and one leg squats on a Bosu ball

- Rowing machines (love just watching ski videos while plowing away) and occasionally stair climbing machine (not my favorite)

- Lots of walks and hikes.  

As I get closer to a ski trip, I may shift more to something like more jumping lunges and jumping squats and maybe head over to Riverplace for an occasional ass kicking.

I've found staying consistent year-round and being in good physical shape has really helped me on the slopes although my first day or two is a bitch.  Gotta learn how to breathe better and get that oxygen to my legs.

BTW, this guy has some good stuff...

https://www.instagram.com/theskisystem/?hl=en

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This dude is usually nails on his snow predictions. Hopefully he's right and it's another good powder season across the West.

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/solid-snow-year-predicted-for-2023-24-aspen-snowmass-ski-season/article_edeb528a-56b2-11ee-b56a-775257e937eb.html

I can't afford the $300,000 ski pass at Aspen.  What about Crested Butte and Taos?  If I can see the Maroon Bells from CB, I'm just going to assume we'll get the same snow, thank you.

Edit: here's the perspective from someone in Durango... https://durangoweatherguy.com/2023/06/04/el-nino-and-next-winter/

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

I can't afford the $300,000 ski pass at Aspen.  What about Crested Butte and Taos?  If I can see the Maroon Bells from CB, I'm just going to assume we'll get the same snow, thank you.

Edit: here's the perspective from someone in Durango... https://durangoweatherguy.com/2023/06/04/el-nino-and-next-winter/

I'm picturing Chris Farley translating "Modoki El Niño" 😆

Re: working out.

I work out 2-3 times a week and run once a week year round, but 2 weeks leading up to a ski trip, I will take the stairs at work 2-3 times a day rather than the elevator. I can't remember the last time I was worn out or sore from a ski trip (usually only 2-3 days of skiing), so it works for me.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:46 AM, LonghornJones said:

Re: working out.

I work out 2-3 times a week and run once a week year round, but 2 weeks leading up to a ski trip, I will take the stairs at work 2-3 times a day rather than the elevator. I can't remember the last time I was worn out or sore from a ski trip (usually only 2-3 days of skiing), so it works for me.

Its amazing what a difference it makes.  I may end up with legs that are burning at times but for the most part, I don't feel the "end of ski day" worn out legs.  I remember back when I was in worse shape how bad I would feel after the first and second day.  Brutal.

54 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Its amazing what a difference it makes.  I may end up with legs that are burning at times but for the most part, I don't feel the "end of ski day" worn out legs.  I remember back when I was in worse shape how bad I would feel after the first and second day.  Brutal.

tell me more about your knee issues and what you're doing about them?

my knees have become absolute trash (I actually have a call with my ortho surgeon to discuss them) and I'm way too young for this shit.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

tell me more about your knee issues and what you're doing about them?

my knees have become absolute trash (I actually have a call with my ortho surgeon to discuss them) and I'm way too young for this shit.

My knee issues are pretty straightforward...

Left knee:

torn meniscus at 17, operated and fixed and managed to go skiing 5 weeks later.  

torn MCL in 2016.  Went through PT, no surgery.  

strained MCL in 2023.  Self-service PT LOL, no surgery

Right knee:

Blown out ACL (no ACL now), torn MCL, slight meniscus tear, small fracture - no surgery.  Did PT and back on track.

For my ACL, I'm what's called a coper.  The reality is that I have some tendinitis for obvious reasons and from use.  I've been told I'll get to maybe have some early onset osteoarthritis because of my ACL rupture but I would have it whether I got surgery or not.  So, all I can do is make sure I exercise and maintain muscle and strength year-round.  By doing so, according to my "dO yOUr owN REseArCH!?" and from what I've been told by pros, I can compensate for not having an ACL.  If everything that supports that knee is otherwise in good health, it will help you.  

What does that mean?  It means making sure you work on glutes, hams and quads year-round, honestly.  You have to think about which muscles play a big part in supporting your knees and ones that most people don't think of (like glutes and hams) are very important.  For example: https://bauerfeind.co.nz/blogs/news/quads-glutes-and-hamstrings-why-the-upper-leg-is-crucial-for-the-knee#:~:text=and the glutes.-,How the upper leg is crucial to protect the knee,having to think about it.

From another source:

• Quadriceps (front of the thigh)
  • Hamstrings (back of the thigh)
  • Abductors (outer thigh)
  • Adductors (inner thigh)
  • Gluteus medius and gluteus maximus (buttocks)

Compression sleeves really help when my knee(s) are pissing me off but I find I don't wear them that often.  

Oh, I should foam roll and stretch more.  I don't. I should and I know that's on me.

Oddly enough, my knees normally feel pretty good up in the mountains.  Not sure if it is the cold or altitude or what.  I ski with a knee brace on my right knee and in reality its probably more for mental support than anything.  I find that when I can get out of my head and do the right things I need to do on the slope without telling myself stupid stories about my skiing, I can go confidently into "reasonable" double diamonds and I'm north of 50.  Reasonable from last Crested Butte trip equal runs like Pinball, Headwall, Upper Peel, Peel (really want to go do Banana to Funnel), Hard Slab, North Face, The Glades.  Need to explore more but my problem is when I hit that terrain, I'm skiing solo.  

Hope that helps.   

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

My knee issues are pretty straightforward...

Left knee:

torn meniscus at 17, operated and fixed and managed to go skiing 5 weeks later.  

torn MCL in 2016.  Went through PT, no surgery.  

strained MCL in 2023.  Self-service PT LOL, no surgery

Right knee:

Blown out ACL (no ACL now), torn MCL, slight meniscus tear, small fracture - no surgery.  Did PT and back on track.

For my ACL, I'm what's called a coper.  The reality is that I have some tendinitis for obvious reasons and from use.  I've been told I'll get to maybe have some early onset osteoarthritis because of my ACL rupture but I would have it whether I got surgery or not.  So, all I can do is make sure I exercise and maintain muscle and strength year-round.  By doing so, according to my "dO yOUr owN REseArCH!?" and from what I've been told by pros, I can compensate for not having an ACL.  If everything that supports that knee is otherwise in good health, it will help you.  

What does that mean?  It means making sure you work on glutes, hams and quads year-round, honestly.  You have to think about which muscles play a big part in supporting your knees and ones that most people don't think of (like glutes and hams) are very important.  For example: https://bauerfeind.co.nz/blogs/news/quads-glutes-and-hamstrings-why-the-upper-leg-is-crucial-for-the-knee#:~:text=and the glutes.-,How the upper leg is crucial to protect the knee,having to think about it.

From another source:

• Quadriceps (front of the thigh)
  • Hamstrings (back of the thigh)
  • Abductors (outer thigh)
  • Adductors (inner thigh)
  • Gluteus medius and gluteus maximus (buttocks)

Compression sleeves really help when my knee(s) are pissing me off but I find I don't wear them that often.  

Oh, I should foam roll and stretch more.  I don't. I should and I know that's on me.

Oddly enough, my knees normally feel pretty good up in the mountains.  Not sure if it is the cold or altitude or what.  I ski with a knee brace on my right knee and in reality its probably more for mental support than anything.  I find that when I can get out of my head and do the right things I need to do on the slope without telling myself stupid stories about my skiing, I can go confidently into "reasonable" double diamonds and I'm north of 50.  Reasonable from last Crested Butte trip equal runs like Pinball, Headwall, Upper Peel, Peel (really want to go do Banana to Funnel), Hard Slab, North Face, The Glades.  Need to explore more but my problem is when I hit that terrain, I'm skiing solo.  

Hope that helps.   

I had my most of one meniscus removed last summer, and have been having continual issues with both knees for awhile now. I've got skinny legs and while I'm really active I've never needed to weight train to do the things I've wanted to do. It's pretty clear those days are over and I have to strengthen my legs and try to take some of the heat off my knees. 

My plan is to be in the best shape of my life next summer at 44. The question is whether I can get through this ski season without major incident so I don't put a roadblock in front of that goal.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I had my most of one meniscus removed last summer, and have been having continual issues with both knees for awhile now. I've got skinny legs and while I'm really active I've never needed to weight train to do the things I've wanted to do. It's pretty clear those days are over and I have to strengthen my legs and try to take some of the heat off my knees. 

My plan is to be in the best shape of my life next summer at 44. The question is whether I can get through this ski season without major incident so I don't put a roadblock in front of that goal.

I would look into some kind of weight training routine.  You can start small and work your way up.  Lots of good resources out there for people who are recovering from knee injuries.  Anyway I feel like working out my legs has made me stronger on the mountain. It might help you and possibly relieve your knee pain.  BUT I'm not a doctor and I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in at least 10 years.  

Finally taking my kids skiing for the first time the week after Christmas. My old boss has a house at CB that is available and he's letting use it for the week.

We went skiing almost every year when I was a kid, but I haven't been since 2002ish (def before helmets were the norm).

A couple of questions:

-My kids are 14, 10, and 8 and none of them have skied before. Is it worth it to splurge for a full day private lesson for them or should I just put them in 1/2 day group lessons with their age group? I picked it up very quickly the first time, but I was 7 or 8 years old at the time too. My 14 year old is built like a baby giraffe so I think it may be a little challenging for him at first.

-If we've got the house for a week do you think me and my kids will have the juice left to ski more than 3 days? My wife has never skied and has no desire to start now, so I bet that her and my daughter (8 y.o.) will end up doing stuff away from the mountain for a few days anyway. I was thinking maybe me and the boys could get in 4 days, but I'm going to have to work hard on my fitness before then.

-Those of you who have been to CB, should I do the rentals through SkiCB? It looks like they have a great location right at the bottom of the lifts. The house we will be staying at is above the golf course on the other side of town so I'd really like to find a way to store our gear at the mountain so I'm not having to haul all the shit for myself and 3 kids back and forth every day.

-Should I buy helmets for everyone or can you rent those too?

I'm going to book flights, reserve lessons, and buy lift tickets this week. I'm so pumped about going skiing again. Can't. Wait.

Let me see how I can help...

- I think you have to do the math.  Personally I think private lessons in the US are absurdly overpriced.  I would probably put them into their own group lessons.  Just take a look at the options that the CB page offers up.  I normally stick my boys in a full day group lesson just to work on skills and get a tour of the mountain, so to speak.  I will pay for private in Europe because you are getting incredible instruction at a great price.  Here the instructor quality is a crapshoot and the price/value ratio is terrrrible.  Our personal experience with CB instruction was pretty good and my boys (12 and 14 at the time) enjoyed it.  

CB is a great town and your wife and daughter can enjoy the town and maybe other activities like snowshoeing depending on the snow coverage... and the snow coverage will dictate how much skiing you and your boys can do.  The terrain that requires the most snow is out of your reach for your kids anyway but CB is actually a great resort for greens and blues.  Play it by ear... you can always do shorter ski days but more days... ski in the morning, lunch, get a couple of runs after lunch and call it a day.  Work on your fitness before the trip and actually get your kids in shape as they'll get sore.  

I have rented through them before.  Not sure about this year but I've used them in the past.  When we went, they were terrible understaffed and everything took forever but you might be OK.  Not sure if they will have the outdoor ski valet working this season.  Curious what you find out in person since we'll be there in the spring.  

You can usually rent helmets.  We did that until our kids were a bit older so that we wouldn't have to replace them.  I can see you buying a helmet for your 14 year old and renting the others.  The 14-yeard might be able to use his for a while.  I learned to ski pre-helmets and cannot imagine skiing without one.  They're comfortable, keep you warm and can save your life.  I know for an absolute fact a helmet has protected me from a series head injury twice and one of those times was at Crested Butte.  Just wear one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you for the quick response. The full day private is absurdly expensive for sure. I just wonder how big the groups are and how much actual instruction they will get if the groups are too big. We will probably end up doing group lessons though.

I am wearing a helmet for sure, just mentioned that to show how long it has been since the last time I made a trip.

My middle son told me last weekend that he would rather go skiing than get a single Christmas present so that's what finally pushed me over the edge to make it happen.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Finally taking my kids skiing for the first time the week after Christmas. My old boss has a house at CB that is available and he's letting use it for the week.

We went skiing almost every year when I was a kid, but I haven't been since 2002ish (def before helmets were the norm).

A couple of questions:

-My kids are 14, 10, and 8 and none of them have skied before. Is it worth it to splurge for a full day private lesson for them or should I just put them in 1/2 day group lessons with their age group? I picked it up very quickly the first time, but I was 7 or 8 years old at the time too. My 14 year old is built like a baby giraffe so I think it may be a little challenging for him at first.

-If we've got the house for a week do you think me and my kids will have the juice left to ski more than 3 days? My wife has never skied and has no desire to start now, so I bet that her and my daughter (8 y.o.) will end up doing stuff away from the mountain for a few days anyway. I was thinking maybe me and the boys could get in 4 days, but I'm going to have to work hard on my fitness before then.

-Those of you who have been to CB, should I do the rentals through SkiCB? It looks like they have a great location right at the bottom of the lifts. The house we will be staying at is above the golf course on the other side of town so I'd really like to find a way to store our gear at the mountain so I'm not having to haul all the shit for myself and 3 kids back and forth every day.

I'm going to book flights, reserve lessons, and buy lift tickets this week. I'm so pumped about going skiing again. Can't. Wait.

My two cents: I think they'll get plenty of instruction in a group lesson with other beginners but I don't think 1/2 day is enough to learn the basics. I would do at least a full day and then another half day to just make sure they've buttoned things up from day 1.

• Hook 'Em 2

Group lessons have been great for my kids (6 & 7). Completely recommend. I know they're younger than yours, but they love meeting the other kids and spending the next few days with kids their age. At the end of the lessons each day, I will take them up the mountain (now that they are comfortable getting on and off the lifts) and see what they have learned. It is my favorite part of the day by a mile. They LOVE skiing, and daddy finally has someone to ski with, even if its only for 45 minutes each day.

I am going that same week after christmas. It will be my first time to go during that week, so I am trying to temper my expectations, and bring my patience pills.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Group lessons have been great for my kids (6 & 7). Completely recommend. I know they're younger than yours, but they love meeting the other kids and spending the next few days with kids their age. At the end of the lessons each day, I will take them up the mountain (now that they are comfortable getting on and off the lifts) and see what they have learned. It is my favorite part of the day by a mile. They LOVE skiing, and daddy finally has someone to ski with, even if its only for 45 minutes each day.

I am going that same week after christmas. It will be my first time to go during that week, so I am trying to temper my expectations, and bring my patience pills.

...and strongly recommend asking the instructor which runs he/she thinks they can handle.  I do this all the time... "oh, where can I take them?" and they'll usually give you a rundown of what they did and others they can do.

We are going between NY and the following weekend but in Taos.  I am wondering what we'll find... hoping it won't be too crazy and we'll have some decent snow.  Taos, like CB, seems like a mountain that is less accessible to a lot of people so fingers crossed.  

On 9/22/2023 at 4:15 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

My knees are trashed from years of abuse and partial tears, complete tears, etc. The last round of PT I went through they had me work more on stretching the upper and lower leg muscles to get more range of motion in them which helps stabilize the knee and take pressure off them. I still weight train but the focus has been more on range of motion and elasticity of the muscles the last year. Saying all that, I’ve still had to dial back what I do on the slopes and give up wakeboarding completely because there is only so much everything else can cover for if your knees are a problem.

21 hours ago, The Royal We said:

A couple of questions:

Mine always did group lessons and will still jump into one this year when we get there just a little more advanced. The only time I ever did a private was when I was with buddies and we wanted to do an advanced private. I think it was really beneficial there because we got one on one, but as a newbie just go group.

As far as timing, if we’re there for a week we usually ski 2, go snowmobiling or something else and then ski 2 more before leaving. The break in the middle lets everyone take a break and do something else fun. With kids that age it’s a crapshoot anyways. My oldest had zero interest and now just hangs out with mom and spends money. The youngest wants to go snowboarding, but she isn’t going open to close for 5+ days.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

My knees are trashed from years of abuse and partial tears, complete tears, etc. The last round of PT I went through they had me work more on stretching the upper and lower leg muscles to get more range of motion in them which helps stabilize the knee and take pressure off them. I still weight train but the focus has been more on range of motion and elasticity of the muscles the last year. Saying all that, I’ve still had to dial back what I do on the slopes and give up wakeboarding completely because there is only so much everything else can cover for if your knees are a problem.

The best I've ever felt in my life was when I was consistently stretching. And yet I just can't find the discipline to do it regularly. Why am I the way I am?

On 9/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, The Royal We said:

This was my thought as well. Direct flights from Houston to Gunnison or Montrose are a little spendy.

I would plan on mayhem, just in case, and plan ahead for things like reservations and ski lessons.  Like I said, it's the busiest week at every resort in CO (and elsewhere, I'm sure).