I think I’m mostly done with movie theaters

harpercollins

I only see little kid movies and rarely run into issues with people at the theater. Most of them are parents who are just there to entertain their kids and hope to space out for a moment or two. I also don’t rush out to see anything.

I did get a big laugh on my last theater visit in NE Texas where they have a sign that said asked for kids under 6 to not attend R rated films after 6 PM.

On 8/6/2023 at 2:22 AM, harpercollins said:

Uncharacteristically I went to three movies in theatres in the last three weeks. I think I’m over movie theaters.

- bad behavior from other viewers is increasing, and it’s too much of a gamble that your experience will be ruined. Not only did the guy next to me at mission impossible not silence his phone, he literally answered three calls on it.

- even normal human behavior is annoying when you’re lying next to a stranger watching a movie. I don’t want to hear a stranger chew or gulp or see him scratch his balls. The recliners are nice but I’d prefer a regular seat that gave me space between strangers.

- I love my subtitles. I really miss them at the movies.

- my theatre evidently is infested with Indian meal moths. They’ve been annoying/distracting to varying degrees at shows in three different rooms.

- at Oppenheimer tonight, it was so loud it hurt my ears and shook my seat. I get that its Nolan’s style, but I need some environmental controls.

All of a sudden I’m old. I actually don’t think going to the movies is too expensive, really. I love movies. Just turning into a hermit I guess.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:07 PM, Texzilla58 said:

The issues with subtitles is one of modern movie production. Engineers overuse the magic of dynamic range, so these days folks are whispering and then we have an A10 laying fire at 120db. The cinematographers do the same with light. Uhh something is happening but the screen is black, dark black, extra dark gray.

I didn’t understand why Oppenheimer’s score was blasting my eardrums especially in the early scenes. Oppenheimer is walking to class, and we need the dramatic score at a db level that requires hearing protection at construction sites? I considered walking out for a minute. The audio levels seemed better later on but I was unsure if the theater adjusted it, or I had killed off some sensory cell in my ears.