Houston ‘burbs

I’m at risk here of starting this thread in the wrong place, but I figured this may be as good as any. Looking for some advice on some different areas on the edges of Houston proper… currently own my house in oak forest but with a growing family, I want a bigger house that’s not stupid budget-wise. We like some parts of Jersey village-ish (5-7 min up 290 from us currently) both inside and right outside the beltway. We have some friends about to move clear lake so I looked that up and was astonished to see I could get the same amount of house plus a pool for 200k less or so. I work downtown so basically anything more than 10 min outside the beltway is a no-go, but do any of y’all that are fr clear lake or other fairly close, comparable suburbs have any input? 550k is about max what I’d want fo spend but seeing the same thing (or better) for under 400k is awfully tempting. 

Just trying to really work a pros and cons list outside of the obvious  

• Hook 'Em 1

We have lived in Katy for 25 years:

Pros—schools are still good but book banning has come and book burning can’t be far behind. 

Cons—see above, massive quantities of aggy, almost as conservative and white Christian as Conroe now( used to be greater heterogeneity), traffic( endemic to all of Houston)

Conroe isn't homogenous by any means.  That's what is fucking amazing about the little school broo-ha-ha right now.

It has pluses and minuses like everywhere else, but we lived in The Woodlands for a year and then Oak Ridge North for 14,  moving away 4 years ago.  On our street we had neighbors who were from Trinidad, Nigeria, Guatemala, and Native Hawaiian.  That was in Oak Ridge North.  Rest of us on the street were worthless mostly white people.

We had zero problems( outside the norm) in our public schools.  Again, not perfect, but we felt our kids got what they needed.

I-45 traffic sucks if you cannot plan around it.  Grand Parkway is great for going to Cy-Fair or Humble areas.

We live in that JV area you are talking about. It’s ok. But my wife doesn’t think JV high school is good, thus we may start looking in Cypress.

One issue with this area is the HEB is pretty lame. It’s kind of old and small.

There are two Krogers, and while not horrible, they aren’t as nice as the ones in cypress or the other big burbs.

Yeah, well, even though our address was "Conroe," we were 15 miles south of downtown Conroe, and thus, closer in to Houston.

That was actually a very frustrating thing before Woodforest Stadium was built-  driving all the way up there to Moorehead in Conroe for "home" games.  It sucked.

It's 21 miles from Grand Oaks( still in CISD) to Conroe High.

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We live in that JV area you are talking about. It’s ok. But my wife doesn’t think JV high school is good, thus we may start looking in Cypress.

One issue with this area is the HEB is pretty lame. It’s kind of old and small.

There are two Krogers, and while not horrible, they aren’t as nice as the ones in cypress or the other big burbs.

my neighborhood doesn’t even have an H‑E‑B 😂😂😂

@Etexhorn13 no chance of making oak forest work? I know some that live in JV or other places just outside of Hwy 8. I hear a lot of complaints about how much of their life is spent in cars. Bigger houses can be nice but not if you’re rarely there.

but I also realize that some inner neighborhoods have seemingly doubled in population over the last 15 years which adds to the close-in commute. I cringe every time I see a new apt building going up in the heights, 34th and north shepherd.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

@Etexhorn13 no chance of making oak forest work? I know some that live in JV or other places just outside of Hwy 8. I hear a lot of complaints about how much of their life is spent in cars. Bigger houses can be nice but not if you’re rarely there.

but I also realize that some inner neighborhoods have seemingly doubled in population over the last 15 years which adds to the close-in commute. I cringe every time I see a new apt building going up in the heights, 34th and north shepherd.

Upgrading in Oak Forest would probably be our ideal scenario, it just seems impossible to find something I’d actually want to buy and zoned to the schools we’d want that isn’t outrageous. Even a fixer seems so high that I don’t think I could justify it. It’s really just a question of mixing affordability, good schools, commute time, and reality. I guess at least we don’t have Austin prices 😅