What is the rule regarding a QB fumble?

nunna yo bizness

So, I know the call was overturned by review, but I'm mystified by the original call.  Unless I misunderstood something or am an idiot (both possible) it sounded like there is a rule that a QB fumble in the backfield can't be advanced if recovered by an offensive teammate.  Is this a new rule?  If not, how the hell have I missed it through decades of watching college football?

~Always been the case that a fumble can’t be advanced by a dif off player on 4th down. There was a play in the 70s? that led to the rule… or maybe the Holy Roller wasn’t the reasoning and it’s always been around. 

Edited by bluto
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, nunna yo bizness said:

So, I know the call was overturned by review, but I'm mystified by the original call.  Unless I misunderstood something or am an idiot (both possible) it sounded like there is a rule that a QB fumble in the backfield can't be advanced if recovered by an offensive teammate.  Is this a new rule?  If not, how the hell have I missed it through decades of watching college football?

It’s a 4th down thing to prevent intentional fumbles and it’s not specific to QBs.

• Hook 'Em 5

The rule for that play wasn’t a fumble, but a “muff”, as the QB never had possession. Earlier poster is correct on advancing a “fumble” on 4th.

Anyone can advance a “muff” to include an OL, as long as it was behind the LOS, as this play was. It’s basically like a backwards pass.

Hook’em!!!

So, is it accurate that an offense can never advance its own fumble?  I guess this rarely comes up because a fumbling offense just wants to get the ball and smother the fucker and isn't looking to advance it usually.

I had forgotten that there was a set of rules evolving over fourth down plays because of fumblerooski type plays.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, is it accurate that an offense can never advance its own fumble?  I guess this rarely comes up because a fumbling offense just wants to get the ball and smother the fucker and isn't looking to advance it usually.

I had forgotten that there was a set of rules evolving over fourth down plays because of fumblerooski type plays.

It's legal for a teammate to advance a fumble on any other down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

It was the Holy Roller and the rules were changed in the off season to prevent such a play. 

To the OP’s original question - on 4th down if there is a fumble by an offensive player, only that offensive player can recover and advance it*. It is to prevent a player from fumbling on n purpose when they are going to fail to gain a first down with basically nothing to lose. 

* any player can recover the fumble, but the ball goes back to the point of the fumble. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Offense can advance its own fumble.  The only real stipulation is that if it's 4th down only the fumbler can advance it. 

Thanks alot Stabler 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anyone can advance a fumble if it’s not 4th down. On 4th down, only the guy that fumbled it can advance it. 

This discussion is related to the late hit after 4th down penalty in the Duke/Clemson game. 4th down has its own rules in a lot of ways, both during the play because it's the offense's last chance and immediately upon the end of the play because possession officially changes instantly if they don't reach the line to gain. 

• Hook 'Em 1