San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

Wemby is fucking good man. Hes been flashing some elite court vision/passing lately. The one last night where he threw it over his head to Sochan for the dunk was badass. I would like to see him do more from the high post area, he needs to catch the ball and immediately go into his move instead of standing there, it's one quick step to get by the defender and he will finish. This would open up more stuff for him too.

But yeah. We are so fucking clearly tanking. Pop just letting people do whatever. I remember the days of him ripping into people for taking dumb shots and messy turnovers. But he also knows its his fault for putting Sochan at PG. Like what did you expect.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

The "tanking" shit is so fucking stupid. For starters, we don't need to be the 2nd worst team in the league, and literally the worst team in franchise history. At a minimum we should be better than last season (the current worst team in franchise history) where everyone was shamelessly trying to lose for the best prospect in 20 years. 

Secondly - which of these guys are we "tanking" for? I've watched Ron Holland because he was committed to Texas for awhile and I hate to break it to you but that kid is nowhere near good enough to be this fucking bad for. His G League stats so far are fucking pedestrian.

Screenshot_20231222_084517_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ec06313b8a0de0c887a58c51322ae0be.jpg

This is a poorly constructed, poorly coached basketball team. Anyone trying to tell me or the others saying this - like Stacey King on live TV last night - that we're wrong or misguided is being ignorant and frankly insulting our knowledge of the game. Fifteen other coaches in the league at a minimum would have this team playing better ball. That's without addressing whatever the fuck our front office has been doing the past few seasons.

It is absolutely trivial in this era of the NBA to have better vets in your rotation than Cedi Osman and Doug McDermott. In every era of the NBA it has been trivial to have two point guards on the roster. 

Wembanyama is probably already good enough to be the 3rd best player on a contender. So if you're telling me that we are intentionally losing games and to just be patient my questions are going to remain:

1. Why?

and

2. What are we being patient for? Show me the plan. Show me how we get better. Sochan and Wemby developing is not saving this team. Keldon is who he is at this point - so is DV. Branham is looking like a guy whose ceiling is a rotation guard off the bench. 

This team is embarassing for the city and the fanbase and the fans have a right to be fed up at this point. We haven't been worth a shit for 7 years now. It's time to show us something and start building around this kid because he's that fucking good. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wembanyama is probably already good enough to be the 3rd best player on a contender. So if you're telling me that we are intentionally losing games and to just be patient my questions are going to remain:

1. Why?

and

2. What are we being patient for? Show me the plan. Show me how we get better. Sochan and Wemby developing is not saving this team. Keldon is who he is at this point - so is DV. Branham is looking like a guy whose ceiling is a rotation guard off the bench. 

This team is embarassing for the city and the fanbase and the fans have a right to be fed up at this point. We haven't been worth a shit for 7 years now. It's time to show us something and start building around this kid because he's that fucking good. 

I don't think they are intentionally tanking, sadly. I think they greatly overestimated the current roster and once they realized just how shitty it was (probably around game 12 of the losing streak), the season was for all intents and purposes over from any sort of playoff/play-in perspective. They were always going to play the long game with throwing the kids to the wolves, but I don't think there was any way in hell they thought they would be this historically terrible.

As an aside -- and I know this is an unpopular opinion --I also think they aren't necessarily as terrible as their record. Don't get me wrong, they are still fucking terrible, but the league is deeper than it has ever been and they have shown some improvement recently. 

Regardless, what are their options, realistically? Trade for some vets at the deadline? What's the point? That's not going to make a difference for this season and it's just going to cost them future assets and take developmental minutes away. The season is over. They are brutal to watch other than the few times per game Wemby flashes. The only thing left is getting Wemby and the rest of the team some more reps, and hope they do something over the off season to bring in some vets and preferably someone who can hit an open three pointer. It sucks, but we could start the offseason thread today if we wanted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

There are still people who say with a straight face that Chet is better.

That's gonna be the hipster/contrarian take until the Spurs are elite as a team again. Maybe even until Wemby starts winning titles depending on what OKC does postseason wise. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn