Objection Your Honor, this is confusing!

bernorange

Reporting from day 2 of the Sam Bankman-Fried FTX fraud trial:

Caroline Ellison has one more day on the stand, facing defense attorney Mark Cohen as he continues his cross-examination.

He only had a few moments with Ellison on Wednesday, trying to ask a question about FTX’s fiat account and how it tracked its funds – however, after some initial back-and-forth, it was clear he and Ellison were on slightly different pages about how different accounts were referenced, culminating in the best objection I’ve heard so far this trial.

“Objection Your Honor, this is confusing!” Assistant U.S. Attorney Danielle Sassoon said. ...

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2023/10/12/did-caroline-ellison-and-sbf-cook-alamedas-books-to-save-the-world/

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

I thought perhaps OP might inspire Surly law dogs to post funny objection anecdotes from their own experience.

OK, sure.

(Caveat: I have no clue why the evidence below was relevant, because I was not inovolved in the litigation, just present in the courtroom at the time)

This involves a Pro se litigant in a trial in which she is fighting to retain certain rights to parent her biological child. The opposing attorney had a witness on the stand to, among other things, lay the predicate for and describe the contents of a photograph. The appropriate testimony is given to admit the photograph, and, over a non-sensical non-legal objection, it is entered. Fine. Then counsel asks the witness to describe the contents of the photograph. She begins:

Witness: "It depicts the Respondent fisting another woman"

Respondent: "Objection your honor, [turning to witness] how can you say I was fisting her when my fingers were only halfway in?"

Judge: "M'am. I have asked you time after time to address the Court and not the witness when you make an objection. Now, do you have a legal objection?

Respondent: "She can't just sit there and lie like that! It's not fisting if your whole fist doesn't go in the vagina!"

Judge: "OK. There having been no legal objection made, your objection is overruled."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5