Musicians you like and the music they like

gofuckyourself

I'm far from musically talented, but love discovering new bands, genres etc.

I like hearing about the music listened to by the musicians I listen to. It usually introduces me to widely varied shit I wouldn't hear normally.

This isn't genre specific because usually the music referenced is way out of the genre of the artist but I thought a thread could be interesting. 

If there's already a thread like this, nuke this, neg it, etc.

The most obvious example for me is Paul Westerberg (The Replacements) and his admiration for Alex Chilton (The Box Tops, Big Star).  For reference I'll link The Replacements song "Alex Chilton", and then the biggest hits by The Box Tops and Big Star.  ("The Letter" was in fact written by Wayne Carson, but The Box Tops made it a huge hit.)

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2023 at 7:29 AM, jimmyjazz said:

The most obvious example for me is Paul Westerberg (The Replacements) and his admiration for Alex Chilton (The Box Tops, Big Star).  For reference I'll link The Replacements song "Alex Chilton", and then the biggest hits by The Box Tops and Big Star.  ("The Letter" was in fact written by Wayne Carson, but The Box Tops made it a huge hit.)

Great example, for it was through the Replacements ("Alex Chilton"), the Bangles (their cover of "September Gurls"), the dB's, and R.E.M. that I discovered Big Star.

Many years ago I was reading an article in Rolling Stone in which different artists were listing what they had listened to the most that particular.  I think it may have been James Hetfield of Metallica of all people who raved enough about a compilation of soul singer James Carr that I went out and bought the album without hearing it first.  Hell, I had no idea who James Carr was until I read that article.

A classic example is Kurt Cobain and his unabashed promotion of bands he liked.

the vaselines, teenage fanclub, the raincoats, shonen knife, the wipers, the melvins, etc. 

look what Kurt wearing a Hi How Are You? T-shirt on MTV did for Daniel Johnston. 

Edited by yoladu