Ski/Snow Equipment

Average at best skier and able to snowboard. Going all in on the hobby and only have rented skis and snowboard.

Tell me what I should buy and where/how!

I have irregularly skied for past ~20 yrs and have snowboard a handful of times. Like both equally but probably slightly better with skiing. My type of skiing is just going down the mountain so no cross country or crazy technical. I have always rented but willing to invest given amount of time I am going to spend now.

1 hour ago, wackawacka said:

Average at best skier and able to snowboard. Going all in on the hobby and only have rented skis and snowboard.

Tell me what I should buy and where/how!

I have irregularly skied for past ~20 yrs and have snowboard a handful of times. Like both equally but probably slightly better with skiing. My type of skiing is just going down the mountain so no cross country or crazy technical. I have always rented but willing to invest given amount of time I am going to spend now.

Try the high end skis next time you rent. Rent a few different ones and see what you like best. I like Black Crows Corvus but each person is different. And boots definitely must be tried.

I bought boots that I liked the fit of after trying on several pairs over a couple of trips before I found a pair that felt comfortable which is still relative in ski boots. For ski’s, I rented demo ski’s and traded them out several times over a couple of times until I found the length/style I liked. I went in knowing generally what length I wanted which made it easier because I ski a 174 which limited what places had available. Ultimately, my advice would be try a few things until you find the right fit.

I got a pair of Dalbello ski boots a few years ago and they're some of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.  As for skis, at the end of the season, a lot of Demos hit ebay and can be had with bindings mounted for a good price.  I wouldn't say the bindings were what I would have chosen, but they've been fine. 

Edited by dcbc

I started thru this exercise 2 years ago and started with boots. Settled on the k2 mindbender boots with the walk function. Love them. To me, boots are the most important part.

Bought mindbender powder skis that are about 110 or so under foot. Decent skis, but I almost never bring them unless it’s ridiculous powder.

My regular ski is an Armada invictus 95. Absolutely love these skis because they handle pretty much everything I do at age 45. 

I used to have some Look pivot bindings that were super heavy and had a super high din. Then I realized that I’m not 18 and dropping off 20ft cliffs. Settled on a middle of the road tyrolia binding that was a model year old and really light weight. The Look bindings added so much weight and really provided no benefit for my style of skiing. I mean, we go hard, I’m also 5’10” and 175, so the “pro model” did nothing for me.

Helmets are important and I use a white Sweet Protection with the Mips thing  

Smith goggles, although they’re all good these days  

Then, I have some k2 graphite poles. Any pole will do (or so my wife says).

Soft goods, I wear 686 ski pants because they’re slimming and looking killer matters. Then I rotate between spyder and arc layers/shells.

Carry it all in Dakine Fall line bag.

Thc mints & coors lights around lunch, gummy and whiskey at 4ish, pre-roll and gin/tonic before dinner.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can actually help. I love this stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I used to have some Look pivot bindings that were super heavy and had a super high din. Then I realized that I’m not 18 and dropping off 20ft cliffs. Settled on a middle of the road tyrolia binding that was a model year old and really light weight. The Look bindings added so much weight and really provided no benefit for my style of skiing. I mean, we go hard, I’m also 5’10” and 175, so the “pro model” did nothing for me.

I've always had good luck with Marker Griffon 13s.

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Settled on the k2 mindbender boots with the walk function. Love them. To me, boots are the most important part.

I would agree that boots are most important and the main thing is fit. There is a place in Houston that focuses on ski equipment - I think it is off Westheimer on the other side of the freeway from the Galleria and on the other side of the road. They had a really good boot guy and I tried on a ton. I purchased something for me there (not boots) and then had my son purchase boots in New Mexico where he is living based on what he tried on. They had better prices in New Mexico and he could return them if he was unhappy.