Refit a bathtub to shower?

So, we bought a flat with two bathrooms, and the bath setup in one of them is like this:

c8e6fc1190bf12bc3111dd077b1a3f8e.jpg

We want/need to convert it to a shower function. I’m happy to go with a switch to a tub fixture with diverter and shower head. I expect we’ll have to 1) pull all of that tile (as we understand, it’s not sealed to be waterproof) and replace the drywall with something designed to keep water out (we don’t want to skimp there - we’re an upstairs unit, don’t want to cause any headaches) and 2) close it off with either a sliding glass door or curtain.

So far, the only plumber we’ve talked to wants to pull ALL the fixtures (sink and crapper) and re-do the walls in the entire space, which doesn’t make sense to me. And he wants $5k to do it.

So, we’re shopping around, but does anyone know what the scope of something like this SHOULD be?

for example
image.thumb.png.a7d573b515a3bfb6df95b744c80cddbb.png

Yep. I get that. Seems to me that the plumbing is the least of our concerns (presuming that Scottish building codes aren’t all fucky, which is entirely possible). My bigger concern is waterproofing the “stall” of the shower. The tile there isn’t waterproof, and the walls above the tile sure aren’t. That seems like it should be the biggest part of the job.

But hellifiknow.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. I get that. Seems to me that the plumbing is the least of our concerns (presuming that Scottish building codes aren’t all fucky, which is entirely possible). My bigger concern is waterproofing the “stall” of the shower. The tile there isn’t waterproof, and the walls above the tile sure aren’t. That seems like it should be the biggest part of the job.

But hellifiknow.

That sounds like a dad job for a weekend.

• Like 1

I think the deal is if you really want to "waterproof" that as a shower the regular old drywall (which is what I am guessing is ABOVE the tile line) needs to likely go and you need to likely have the tile job raised with the appropriate backer board, etc so to speak to account for the idea that now water is going to be coming out from a higher source.  Have no idea what is behind the tile itself but again it may not be waterproof given the idea this was just a tub and water routinely splashing into the tile with force wasn't contemplated.  If that is the case what that feels like is ripping out most of that tile and what is behind it and replacing it all with what is appropriate for the area being used as a shower.  

As to the rest of the bathroom though that seems more like a design/aesthetic choice.  Can you replace the tile you remove in the shower with a match of the other tile?   Do you even care?  Could you just do something like subway tile around the shower and it work for you.  To me it does seem like based on your concerns that there is a job to be done on the tile, backerboard etc around the converted shower but the rest of the bathroom seems unnecessary to do anything to based on the picture and your description unless you just want to.   

• Like 1

Are you sure it’s not waterproof enough? It’s not Sheetrock under the tile like in America.

No idea. What we’re really working on is finding a plumber (someone who has actually worked with acquaintances who live there) to come out and give it a no-bullshit look. Really don’t know what the existing waterproofing setup is like, but as we’re an upstairs unit, sure don’t want to cause a water intrusion issue downstairs, or even just in our unit.