2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

28 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

He didn't even look like he was trying in the last two kilometers. 

I’m sure the “Cycling Highlights” YouTube channel will address (savagely skewer) this in their usual sarcastic and hilarious way. 

Just now, Whitewater Horn said:

Especially while descending paved roads with painted stripes down high mountain passes. 

If it's good enough for Andy Hampsten, it's good enough for me.

• Like 1

There was a time when I would agree. I think there was one spring in the Bay Area that broke me. It was an El Nino year, and so riding in the wet was just the way it was going to be. But crossing the GGB on the way home, it started to hail. That combined with wind whipping in froze me. Sat in a warm bath for an hour trying to get my core temp back up. Never the same, and now I'm too old and soft to repeat. 

Not enough words to describe how TP is just on another level. He's such an amazing all-rounder - great TT, great climber, not impacted by the cold, not averse from trying Spring Classics. We haven't seen one like him in a long time. And he'll give the jersey off his back for a young rider (as he did today). 

Great Giro so far for Danny Martinez - always liked him at EF.

Worried about the weather the next few days. Hope we don't get a repeat of today. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 hours ago, Txzen said:

There was a time when I would agree. I think there was one spring in the Bay Area that broke me. It was an El Nino year, and so riding in the wet was just the way it was going to be. But crossing the GGB on the way home, it started to hail. That combined with wind whipping in froze me. Sat in a warm bath for an hour trying to get my core temp back up. Never the same, and now I'm too old and soft to repeat.

Yeah it's actually kind of bizarre for me, the older I get, the less I can deal with heat. I actually prefer cold and damp. It's almost the opposite from everyone else.

That said, the coldest you can ever be is cold on a sailboat. It's wet and you don't dry out for days if you are offshore.

Just now, Whitewater Horn said:

image.gif.229035291a2ce8b411cd95c67f00bbb4.gif
“Steinhauser beating off the competition!”

Yeah old Hatch has a way with words there, lol

On 5/23/2024 at 9:20 AM, idigTexas said:

Me too, though it's tough on the bike.  

Agreed. One time my friends Dave and Eric and I decided to do a 60-mile ride though the Sam Houston National Forest --- from Huntsville to New Waverly and back.  We got to Huntsville and holy cow it was a torrential downpour. We got about three miles in and saw a tree get BLASTED by lighting about 500 yards out into a field. I wanted to give up. I said to Dave "this is crazy as hell."  Dave said "and that's why we're just the men to do it."  So we did.  Got back to Houston after the ride and I swear my bike has never been so grungy. It took me about an hour and a half to get the damn thing clean and I swore I'd never do that again.

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It took me about an hour and a half to get the damn thing clean and I swore I'd never do that again

I've swore I'd never do it again about 457 times at this point I believe!

Guess not many following the Dauphiné, but Remco put 40 seconds into Roglic on a 34km ITT on stage 4 today. With Jonas unlikely to be in winning form (if he even shows up to lead Visma), I was, and am, hoping to see Roglic come into July with a realistic shot at pushing Pogi into savage mode and making a great race. Never mind. Pogi lives and sleeps in savage mode. I was hoping not to see another grand tour decided by upwards of ten minutes. I think the TdF window is closed for Roglic and he’ll have to fight for a podium spot in Nice. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Guess not many following the Dauphiné, but Remco put 40 seconds into Roglic on a 34km ITT on stage 4 today. With Jonas unlikely to be in winning form (if he even shows up to lead Visma), I was, and am, hoping to see Roglic come into July with a realistic shot at pushing Pogi into savage mode and making a great race. Never mind. Pogi lives and sleeps in savage mode. I was hoping not to see another grand tour decided by upwards of ten minutes. I think the TdF window is closed for Roglic and he’ll have to fight for a podium spot in Nice. 

Yep.  Window is closed.  Even if it were open, I don't think Bora have the supporting cast that UAE have.  

Edited by idigTexas

You've got to feel especially bad for Visma Lease a Bike. I can't remember a team that has had so many of their most important riders crash so badly in such a short period of time.  That one crash was maybe the biggest I've ever seen.

Poor Remco Evenepoel.  Comes back from a big injury only to be involved in this.

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You've got to feel especially bad for Visma Lease a Bike. I can't remember a team that has had so many of their most important riders crash so badly in such a short period of time.  That one crash was maybe the biggest I've ever seen.

Poor Remco Evenepoel.  Comes back from a big injury only to be involved in this.

No kidding. Visma was already limping into the Tour for the first time in a while with the  probable expectation (from the outside) of not winning the race. And seeing Remco stay on the deck and Roglic down again sucks. 

Maybe the positive for Roglic is that he’s not peaked too early. But this was a familiar sight today - just needed an ill-fitting helmet half off his head while he struggled to hold onto seconds to complete the picture. 

Let’s see if Tadej burned too many matches, but I doubt it. As said above, hope at least it’s an interesting 3 weeks in July. 

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Maybe the positive for Roglic is that he’s not peaked too early. But this was a familiar sight today - just needed an ill-fitting helmet half off his head while he struggled to hold onto seconds to complete picture.

image.jpeg.e3e18be34b0ebb93a07c6ccaa50754e6.jpeg
How can we ever NOT think of this when we see Roglic trying to hang onto a race lead? Just brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2024 at 11:43 AM, idigTexas said:

Very bad juju this year.  Did someone drink Jobu's rum? 

No but as an announcer said I do wonder about disc brakes.  If you want to lock up the wheel these days it’s way easy. Not that I blame it on that crash as that road looked terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1