When I heard we had a crack at a Jew doctor from New York City, well, I don't have to tell you I jumped

austingirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I understand that music rights are keeping "Homicide; Life on the Streets" off the air. 
and by "air" I mean from being on anywhere

BMI/ASCAP dont fuck around. They’d rather make nothing vs negotiate a tenth of a cent off. The artists themselves aren’t getting it and would usually prefer the exposure.

11 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

BMI/ASCAP dont fuck around. They’d rather make nothing vs negotiate a tenth of a cent off. The artists themselves aren’t getting it and would usually prefer the exposure.

For the record, neither BMI nor ASCAP license music for movie use.  SESAC does some.

Broadly speaking, it's the publisher for the "sync license," which gives the right to use the song itself (composer's rights) and a master use license for an actual specific performance license. 

That means that such rights are acquired, generally speaking, by negotiating directly with the various publishers and record labels, which is a pain in the ass even without regard to the cost.

• Hook 'Em 1