2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

10 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Not familiar with Riverbend but I used to play Westwood several times a year and I liked it.  

Yeah. Fan of Westwood. Nice track. Shit location. It’s also a lot more expensive than RB, so trying to see if RB isn’t a more reasonable alternative if the golfing/comraderie is good there. 

4 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

guess this is the most current active thread…

Anyone a member at Riverbend sugarland?  Debating between it and Westwood. 

I was a member at RB for a while.  I got too busy to ever play golf, so cancelled.   It is an old school men's golf club.     If you have a wife that wants to do "country club" stuff, it is an after thought there. 

Its been quite a while since i played Westwood, but i preferred RB.

Back in the late 80s I had a set of Ben hogan blade equalizer irons. Liked them but I sold them.

They now have a wedge set that is classic looking and overall sweet lines. Any of yall have them?

https://www.benhogangolf.com/equalizer-ii-wedge-head-only/?sku=US-VTBGW-0602_H&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRh96ZehWgknQTZCFsjlayJ2Enta8u6QWwK5fT0fQQUzJaw6YQnVEt9BoCqEQQAvD_BwE

Tired of back issues, not being able to play consecutive days and slowly losing distance the last 10 years so I started the Golf Forever program today.  Hopefully in the next 2 months all of the above improve.  I golf with a guy every week that swears by it and Scheffler wouldn’t lie to me about the program since he endorses it!

CSB warning.

Have a buddy who used to live on a golf course right at just about the perfect right handed slice yardage.  Stucco sided house that was constantly peppered with balls.  Looked like swiss cheese.  I didn't see it but he told me he came home once to a broken glass coffee table from a ball coming down his chimney.

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Old man is out of line but top chef slicer dude was wearing Birkenstocks playing golf. Nothings screams I suck at golf and am hitting everything on this course except fairways and greens than wearing sandals swinging a driver. I bet the hack and his buddies are playing from the tips, bro.

Fuck him and his house.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:39 PM, markstanco said:

Back in the late 80s I had a set of Ben hogan blade equalizer irons. Liked them but I sold them.

They now have a wedge set that is classic looking and overall sweet lines. Any of yall have them?

https://www.benhogangolf.com/equalizer-ii-wedge-head-only/?sku=US-VTBGW-0602_H&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRh96ZehWgknQTZCFsjlayJ2Enta8u6QWwK5fT0fQQUzJaw6YQnVEt9BoCqEQQAvD_BwE

not sure I'd trust their quality vs a vokey / ping / taylor made wedge. in the end, buy whichever one looks best to you 

On 4/28/2024 at 4:34 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Tired of back issues, not being able to play consecutive days and slowly losing distance the last 10 years so I started the Golf Forever program today.  Hopefully in the next 2 months all of the above improve.  I golf with a guy every week that swears by it and Scheffler wouldn’t lie to me about the program since he endorses it!

get your back right first and foremost. better stretching maybe ?

push ups help too. then I'd go get fitted for a Q10 / 430 max10k / callaway AI. get fitted by the company rep, not some shmo at the golf shop. 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

get your back right first and foremost. better stretching maybe ?

push ups help too. then I'd go get fitted for a Q10 / 430 max10k / callaway AI. get fitted by the company rep, not some shmo at the golf shop. 

Thanks for the advice.  The golf forever program is a lot of stretching and stuff to help your back.  Did the first day yesterday and it definitely will help my back if I stick to it.  Each day is two short sessions.  One that is stretching and core strength and then you have a session with the swing trainer which strengthens key muscles and movements for the golf swing.  The sessions are designed to be done in a specifics order that builds off of one another.

I got fitted for all my sticks by the same guy that does Scheffler, Spieth, Fowler, Palmer, etc… here in DFW.  Good fitters and not that expensive but they know their shit.  I’m in a Calllaway Rogue for my driver which I hit better than the Taylor Mades or Pings.  Once I get my movement back I am pretty sure I will gain some distance back also.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, crash_davis said:

Old man is out of line but top chef slicer dude was wearing Birkenstocks playing golf. Nothings screams I suck at golf and am hitting everything on this course except fairways and greens than wearing sandals swinging a driver. I bet the hack and his buddies are playing from the tips, bro.

Seriously though, I understand being upset if your window gets broken but I'm not sure that approaching a group as a 70+ year-old, cussing and wielding a golf club is the right move.

The specific amount needed for the repair tells me this isn't anywhere close to the first time this has happened.  I think some unbreakable glass for the vulnerable windows would do wonders for this guy's life enjoyment factor. 

I certainly have been known to slice one from time to time, and once, even avoided buying a home on a course because of the potential hassle factor of golf balls hitting the house, but if someone does buy that house how do they let themselves get so worked up when ball hits it?  Seems like a risk you could evaluate, and make your peace with, when making the purchase. 

Having said all that, the Birk foot on the dash tells me there's at least a 40% chance these guys are douches who deserved everything the old man gave them. Video ended 10 seconds too soon,  I definitely wanted to see the next guy on the tee hit that ball. 

Edited by orange dream

45 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Seriously though, I understand being upset if your window gets broken but I'm not sure that approaching a group as a 70+ year-old, cussing and wielding a golf club is the right move.

The specific amount needed for the repair tells me this isn't anywhere close to the first time this has happened.  I think some unbreakable glass for the vulnerable windows would do wonders for this guy's life enjoyment factor. 

I certainly have been known to slice one from time to time, and once, even avoided buying a home on a course because of the potential hassle factor of golf balls hitting the house, but if someone does buy that house how do they let themselves get so worked up when ball hits it?  Seems like a risk you could evaluate, and make your peace with, when making the purchase. 

Having said all that, the Birk foot on the dash tells me there's at least a 40% chance these guys are douches who deserved everything the old man gave them. Video ended 10 seconds too soon,  I definitely wanted to see the next guy on the tee hit that ball. 

You know it headed right for the house in question.

one of the oldest rules in caddying is NEVER tell a golfer what they shouldn't do.  tell them what they should do.  power of suggestion.

46 minutes ago, orange dream said:

In the video some dude says there are 5 of them. I can't imagine the suck and douche levels of 5 hacks playing a 5 some.