Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What drugs would Bernie legalize (at the safe injection sites)? 

I’m only assuming all of them with the idea being the best way to help these people get off this poison is to get them in front of you and not treat them like a piece of shit. Quoted from the actual plan below.

• Legalize safe injection sites and needle exchanges around the country, and support pilot programs for supervised injection sites, which have shown to substantially reduce drug overdose deaths.

The plan in its entirety here https://berniesanders.com/justice-and-safety-for-all/

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I haven't had a chance to go through it in detail, does it mention decriminalizing sex workers?

Not a word. It was a very controversial thing at the DSA convention, too. It's a really really tough one.

Bernie's pretty old school on sex work and borders. Among his many failings.

18 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What drugs would Bernie legalize (at the safe injection sites)? 

Based on what I'm reading and what I know of Bernie (being one of his abusive, harassing, doxxing, violent bros for a few years now) it's a "let the cities decide" thing.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

I don't understand.   Under Bernie's plan, the federal government will establish safe injection sites where use of drugs will not be a federal crime, thus letting states and cities decide what to allow?  Only injectable drugs or is it all drugs? 

Currently, the feds do not allow state and local governments to create safe injection sites. California has been attempting to push through legislation to allow this but the DoJ is saying they will not allow it. This would not be the case under Bernie's DoJ.

Safe injection sites are setup like clinics where sterile needles and tourniquets are provided with a station to shoot up. It won't be like the free-zone in The Wire with crack heads roaming around an abandoned part of town.

Under Bernie's plan, the federal government will establish safe injection sites where use of drugs will not be a federal crime, thus letting states and cities decide what to allow? 

- Legalize safe injection sites and needle exchanges around the country, and support pilot programs for supervised injection sites, which have shown to substantially reduce drug overdose deaths.

The federal government wouldn't be establishing anything, they would be saying, "Y'all decide and we'll step off if that's what y'all decide." Also, provide funding to cities who want to try it.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Currently, the feds do not allow state and local governments to create safe injection sites. California has been attempting to push through legislation to allow this but the DoJ is saying they will not allow it. This would not be the case under Bernie's DoJ.

Safe injection sites are setup like clinics where sterile needles and tourniquets are provided with a station to shoot up. It won't be like the free-zone in The Wire with crack heads roaming around an abandoned part of town.

To be clear, I think it's fantastic, if it's part of an actual legalization plan.   But I'm not wild about non-enforcement of federal laws that remain on the books.   And certainly not as the main proposal; if that's what you're going to do, at least push for the real thing and then fall back on executive action if congress doesn't act. 

• Like 1

To be clear, I think it's fantastic, if it's part of an actual legalization plan.   But I'm not wild about non-enforcement of federal laws that remain on the books.   And certainly not as the main proposal; if that's what you're going to do, at least push for the real thing and then fall back on executive action if congress doesn't act. 

Agreed. I think any serious attempt at criminal justice reform will need to go through Congress.

“We done our protest peacefully, but in Harlan, Kentucky, we stand up for what we believe is right,” miner Chris Lewis, who helped start the protest, told NPR. “That's been embedded in us from childhood up. You know, coal miners is brotherhoods. And we got a whole lot hanging in the balance here that we won't back down.”

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

is she running for president?

She was Bernie’s national press secretary in 2016 and now she’s Joe Biden’s senior advisor.  Seems like a weird jump.  It doesn’t appear like she’s knocking it out of the park with Uncle Joe but it’s a tough job given the client.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Ugh fuck Susan Sarandon.

Elizabeth Warren may have been a Republican in the past but at least she’s a Democrat now....unlike SOMEONE.

Seriously, I don’t usually have a problem with celebrities or athletes speaking out about politics but Susan Sarandon is my one exception.

Just shut up and dribble, Susan.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:28 PM, F250 said:

I am very impressed by Bernie's criminal justice reform plan. I haven't had a chance to go through it in detail, does it mention decriminalizing sex workers?

He just dropped napalm on Kamala's brand in one shot.

This wasn’t really on my radar until now. I’m disappointed Bernie didn’t include sex workers in his proposal. Let people live their fucking lives. There is still time to make it right. He usually gets it right. Get it right.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evjnxk/bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-criminal-justice-plans-exclude-sex-work-decriminalization

“Politicians are going to act like they’re supporting us, and learn to mouth the right rhetoric,” said Kristen DiAngelo, the executive director of the Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Sacramento. “But the fact that Sanders and Warren left decriminalization out of their plans tells me that they don't believe we’re a strong enough constituent base to worry about—we’re not a big enough of a concern them, or it would’ve been addressed.” (Neither the Sanders nor the Warren campaign have returned VICE’s requests for comment.)

30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Ugh fuck Susan Sarandon.

Elizabeth Warren may have been a Republican in the past but at least she’s a Democrat now....unlike SOMEONE.

*Registers as Democrat*

"Ah... thinking and believing done. I have ticked a box."

lol

The shitlib centrist obsession with hating Susan Sarandon is hilarious.

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Some petty soap opera shit going on here, kinda funny.

That shit is so stupid. The LP and Constitution Party combined has over 120,000 votes in Wisconsin. The Green Party didn't even close to peeling off voters from the left compared to the 3rd Parties on the Right draining the Republican vote. If the Dems couldn't overcome the Republican vote in Wisconsin, that's on them.

Maybe next time the Dem candidate will pay Wisconsin more attention rather than just taking it's vote for granted.

• Like 3

Having worked a few shit jobs after username this hits home. I have worked at a place where the thought of a union is laughable. I have worked at a place where everyone thought about it but if you said union and the wrong person heard you bye. I have worked at a place that was unionized. The union job was by far the best situation for a working person.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-21/sanders-unveils-sweeping-labor-plan-with-sectorwide-bargaining?srnd=politics-vp

“What I believe is that we’re not going to grow the middle class of this country unless we revitalize the trade union movement and unless we provide the opportunity for millions of workers to do what they want, and that is to join trade unions,” Sanders said in an interview on Tuesday.

Sanders’s labor platform includes ending “at-will” employment, so companies could no longer fire workers without showing they had “just cause”; extending collective bargaining rights to state and local government employees; and allowing federal employees to strike.

Edited by Dropout

FTR, 2016 needed to be litigated exhaustively.  We needed to comb over the details of what went wrong so those mistakes don’t happen again.  Hopefully it would also inspire citizens to be more vigilant of bad actors. 

What irks me is when people focus on one flashpoint (like Susan Sarandon) and claim that and that alone swung the election to Trump.

The evidence shows there were several dozen failures and actual crimes that handed Trump the electoral college.  Hillary and the democrats are to blame too for being a bad candidate and running a shitty campaign but again, so many additional malicious and intervening factors that gave Trump the presidency.  

It’s silly to debate over shit like “did the Jill Stein voters cost Hillary the election” or “did the Comey letter swing the election to Trump.”   They all played a role but they have to be put in the context of all the other crazy and insane shit that went down in the 2016 election.

That’s why I say re-litigating 2016 is now a waste of time, at least for me.

The bone-deep pettiness of the Clintons and the DNC cannot be overstated.

TL;DR - When Nina Turner originally endorsed Bernie Sanders in 2015, the establishment went after her. The furious resentment towards her you see from the shitlibs now is all rooted in the Hillary Deserves This! It's Her Turn! crowd and their view as self-appointed kings of both the Democratic Party and progressive politics.

Losing to Donald Trump hasn't humbled them in the least, and they would rather Trump had a second term than have Bernie/Nina see victory.

• Like 1

So basically what would’ve happened to Liz had she endorsed Bernie. I’m sure worse in Nina’s case due to well you know. Why Liz wouldn’t listen to guess who Bernie when he asked her to run in 2016. Liz got her marching orders and dutifully took them. Que lastima.

8 hours ago, Dropout said:

Liz got her marching orders and dutifully took them.

Yep, and the establishment powers and the millionaires and billionaire donor class have not recovered from the psychic trauma of Hillary losing and it's manifesting as terrible influence on the 2020 primary.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You pretty much have to decide to run for President four years in advance if you’re serious about it.  In 2012 she was running her first campaign for public office ever.  

Giving Liz shit for not running in 2016 is funny tho.

Giving Liz shit for doing as she’s told. The exact opposite of what is needed at this point in time. Which is bold leadership. To come up with solutions to an array of problems right now when they’re needed not 4 10 20 years later. All coming from a good place. All goes back to there is only one candidate who can truly be trusted by the people. But let’s take our chances with someone else.