Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

7 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Giving Liz shit for doing as she’s told.

Eh, either doing as she's told ("It's MY turn, and if you interfere I will crush you!") or being assured of concessions ("If you don't run, I'll make sure you get X, Y, and Z). The first is bad, yes, but the second might be fine given the details. Which we'll never know.

9 minutes ago, Dropout said:

All goes back to there is only one candidate who can truly be trusted by the people.

It's all relative, of course. If Bernie wasn't in the race this would be my position on Warren.

I can trust Bernie 100%.
I can trust Liz 80%

Biden or Harris? lol like 10%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Eh, either doing as she's told ("It's MY turn, and if you interfere I will crush you!") or being assured of concessions ("If you don't run, I'll make sure you get X, Y, and Z). The first is bad, yes, but the second might be fine given the details. Which we'll never know.

It's all relative, of course. If Bernie wasn't in the race this would be my position on Warren.

I can trust Bernie 100%.
I can trust Liz 80%

Biden or Harris? lol like 10%

but any of them against Dotard, 100%

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

The first is bad. The second displays a lack of conviction and leadership. Not as bad as the first but something I really want no part of. Especially now that we all see the house is on fire. Maybe someone should ask her the question so we can maybe know.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Conveniently forgetting Bernie relentlessly shilling for Hillary while accusing Warren of doing what she’s told is a cute tightrope act. 

Lmfao make up your mind Hugo. Did he or didn’t he? I didn’t conveniently forget shit. The man ran with everything he had taking instructions from no one but his constituents the people of America. Then he got beat under suspicious circumstances and still did what he could to prevent Trump.

Edited by Dropout
  • Like 1

Bernie introduced The Workplace Democracy Plan with the overall goal of expanding union access and fighting right-to-work laws.

Part of it is A Fair Transition to Medicare for All

Bernie will require that resulting healthcare savings from union-negotiated plans result in wage increases and additional benefits for workers during the transition to Medicare for All. When Medicare for All is signed into law, companies with union negotiated health care plans would be required to enter into new contract negotiations overseen by the National Labor Relations Board. Under this plan, all company savings that result from reduced health care contributions from Medicare for All will accrue equitably to workers in the form of increased wages or other benefits.  Furthermore, the plan will ensure that union-sponsored clinics and other providers are integrated within the Medicare for All system, and kept available for members. Unions will still be able to negotiate for and provide wrap-around services and other coverage not duplicative of the benefits established under Medicare for All.

WaPo has a piece with the headline starting "Sen. Bernie Sanders Changes Medicare for All..." even though there's no change to Medicare for All.

Kamala's campaign Twitter guy, Ian Sams, is having a field day.

The substantive answer is simply, "There is no change to M4A here. It's just telling companies that if they save money because of M4A they have to put that towards benefits or pay for their employees."

Anyway, that's today's Twitter drama.

Hugo's trolling aside, I love the idea of forcing companies to negotiate with their employees so they don't just eat the savings from lowered healthcare costs.

The idea of a just transition is important in the Green New Deal discussion, and it's underplayed in the universal healthcare discussion. What happens to private insurance industry employees? What happens to the contracts based on certain assumptions about healthcare provision?

It's good of Bernie to address these things.

• Like 1

"Actually, it is the Bush-era reforms to Medicare that were specifically intended to privatize it and push people onto private health insurance rolls are what define the word 'Medicare', not the decades of historical precedent before that," a person who is DEFINITELY not an industry shill

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Actually, it is the Bush-era reforms to Medicare that were specifically intended to privatize it and push people onto private health insurance rolls are what define the word 'Medicare', not the decades of historical precedent before that," a person who is DEFINITELY not an industry shill

I said a series of articles.  The first one can talk about the changes to traditional FFS.  Maybe the second and third can talk about MAPD and PDP, respectively.  Maybe a fourth can talk about the impacts to the various niches in the public Medicare implementation (disability, ESRD, etc.). 

Grandpa is going fucking HARD in the paint.

$16T over 15 years

$200B to developing nations to de-carbonize

Pollution/emissions taxes on fossil fuel companies

Goals by 2030:
- 70% reduction in US emissions
- 100% renewable energy grid
- 100% carbon-free new-vehicles 
- 65% increase in public transit ridership
- CBO and EPA to give "climate scores" to proposed legislation in addition to budget scores

It's anti-nuclear explicitly, which a lot of Green New Deal proposals have waffled on. I personally think nuclear energy is awesome, but I'm not emotionally invested in the concept.

There's a lot more, of course, but those are some big bullet points.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, EuroHorn said:

Yes, Bernie the candidate of the masses. Old, white privileged multi-millionaire male who lives in a state that’s 95% white...

You forgot the three houses he owns too. And that he’s part of the 1% he harangues. More authentic than any of the other slop in either party, I suppose. Sad.

I love that Bernie brought printouts because he knew what the garbage people on CNN would say/ask.

It's super common in shitlib media to say that Bernie is 3rd/4th in the polls. I still listen to Pod Save America, for my sins, and they do the same thing. While Warren sometimes nudges him to 3rd, the idea that he's running 3rd/4th isn't based on data, it's based on the dreams and hurt feelings of centrists.

If you're bothered that Sanders is fighting the powerful mouthpieces of the wealth powers and want a candidate who is always nice to them, ask yourself whether or not that candidate will stand up to those same wealth powers when it comes time for reform.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

It's super common in shitlib media to say that Bernie is 3rd/4th in the polls. I still listen to Pod Save America, for my sins, and they do the same thing. While Warren sometimes nudges him to 3rd, the idea that he's running 3rd/4th isn't based on data, it's based on the dreams and hurt feelings of centrists.

lulz.

it's based on individual polls, that are still all over the place.

your version is definitely more cinematic though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's based on individual polls, that are still all over the place.

Do you genuinely believe that David Axelrod, the chief strategist behind Obama's wildly successful 2008 campaign, is unaware of the existence of multiple polls?

CNN's latest poll (the network hosting Axelrod's show)

Bernie is #2

I don't know why you guys pretend like this isn't real. I don't know what you hope to gain from being dishonest about the skewing of news and commentary against the candidates and policies favored by the working classes in favor of the candidates and policies favored by the class that signs the paychecks.

Love to defend the wealthy power classes to own the lib.

Bernie expands on his view of the media and what he plans to do about it in this oped.

https://www.cjr.org/opinion/bernie-sanders-media-silicon-valley.php

Real journalism is different from the gossip, punditry, and clickbait that dominates today’s news. Real journalism, in the words of Joseph Pulitzer, is the painstaking reporting that will “fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, [and] always fight demagogues.” Pulitzer said that journalism must always “oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news, always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty.”

Over the past 15 years, more than 1,400 communities across the county have lost newspapers, which are the outlets local television, radio, and digital news sites rely on for reporting. Since 2008, we have seen newsrooms lose 28,000 employeesand in the past year alone, 3,200 people in the media industry have been laid off. Today, for every working journalist, there are six people now working in public relations, often pushing a corporate line. 

At precisely the moment when we need more reporters covering the healthcare crisis, the climate emergency, and economic inequality, we have television pundits paid tens of millions of dollars to pontificate about frivolous political gossip, as local news outlets are eviscerated. 

WHEN I AM PRESIDENT, MY ADMINISTRATION will put in place policies that will reform the media industry and better protect independent journalism at both the local and national levels.

Our constitution’s First Amendment explicitly protects the free press because the founders understood how important journalism is to a democracy. More than two centuries after the constitution was signed, we cannot sit by and allow corporations, billionaires, and demagogues to destroy the Fourth Estate, nor can we allow them to replace serious reporting with infotainment and propaganda. 

A good write up on what Sanders is up against. Expands on the HoarseWhisperer situation. But supporters are just paranoid whiners amirite?

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/26/twitter-sleuths-uncover-an-anti-bernie-conspiracy-infuriating-the-pundit-class/

Bernie Sanders supporters are not paranoid to suspect that there is a conspiracy to prevent him from getting the presidential nomination. Indeed, given the existential threat that his politics pose for the rich and powerful, the Democratic Party elite and their wealthy donors seem downright terrified of his redistributive policy platform. Hence, many large media outlets and the elite pundit class have, often subtly, allied themselves against him.

DailyKos, a liberal-leaning group politics blog and news site, reported on Allison’s sleuthing in a community post that ran with this headline: “Bernie Sanders's Campaign Doxed a Critic on Twitter.”

Notably, Allison has no connection to the Sanders campaign, making the headline false. That headline has not been corrected.

Once again, the dust-up proves little beyond what Sanders supporters already knew: that the liberal elite of media and punditry, in general, do not like Bernie Sanders and will go to great lengths to depict his supporters as bad people, hoping that readers and viewers will view his entire campaign through that lens. One could almost conclude they are frightened.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, not a fan of this.  Bernie has the problem correctly identified but I’m skeptical on executive intervention as a solution.  It has a Trumpy feel to it.  

How is trying to prevent the media from forming one big conglomerate Trumpy? Isn’t that the opposite of what Trump would want? Which is one big propaganda spouting news organization that he has complete control of.

3 minutes ago, Dropout said:

How is trying to prevent the media from forming one big conglomerate Trumpy? Isn’t that the opposite of what Trump would want? Which is one big propaganda spouting news organization that he has complete control of.

I’m fine with Bernie building up PBS and other public media outlets.  I’m fine with Bernie enforcing anti-trust laws against conglomerates that have the markets cornered.

I’m not fine with him sticking his hands in this private sector against media outlets he doesn’t like.  That would be Trumpy.  

20 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m fine with Bernie building up PBS and other public media outlets.  I’m fine with Bernie enforcing anti-trust laws against conglomerates that have the markets cornered.

I’m not fine with him sticking his hands in this private sector against media outlets he doesn’t like.  That would be Trumpy.  

I would like media to have to make a public retraction and take a day off work when they tell a lie.

The president and Congressmen too.

• Like 1

Bernie Sanders Has a Plan — But He’s Also Building a Movement

But, as the Obama presidency demonstrated, any Democrat entering the White House will face a host of obstacles even when they wield a legislative majority and bend over backward to find consensus and reassure corporate America of their moderate intent. No matter what the composition of the next Congress turns out to be, even the most lukewarm of plans will inevitably be opposed by oligarchs, business interests, and the innumerable lawmakers who receive bottomless donations from both. Given that reality, the only viable course for those seeking sweeping and necessary political change is direct confrontation with these interests and the mobilization of massive popular pressure as a counterweight against them.

Sanders understands this, which is why he identifies the actors opposed to his various plans — Wall Street, the Walton family, the fossil fuel industry — at every opportunity. It’s also why his campaign has gotten directly involved in frontline struggles like teachers’ strikes and even used its resources to direct supporters to pickets. When Sanders talks about building a movement, it’s not mere branding or political window dressing, but rather the strategy underlying all of his plans and policies made explicit. The specific nuts and bolts of policy ideas or the merits of different proposals aside, this theory of political change is what most distinguishes Sanders from the rest of the Democratic field.

Any candidate who is talking about doing big money fundraisers with the wealthy in the general election is guaranteeing a second Obama run and some kind of Donald-Trump-but-worse to follow.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:27 PM, bad_teammate said:

lol Bernie is 750,000 years old and has a better answer to job loss via automation than Andrew "SPREADSHEETS!" Yang

He's so fucking good.

God DAMN

I love this old fucker

I agree a billion percent with his last point that people want to work and contribute to society.  Give people a realistic chance and they will work hard if they have the satisfaction that they are contributing to the whole.  People need purpose.  The Rs want to crush people "below" them so they can feel like THEY are the only ones who have this drive.  It's all a part of their insecurity.

• Like 1