SEC/BIG form Joint Advisory Group

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Serious question-what is on the short term horizon for NIL in “club sports” that can stay outside title IX?

NIL is 100% outside of the University and not subject to title IX. The big question is if football splits off from the AD and is no longer subject to title IX then what happens to women sports?

Popular sports like volleyball and softball are likely fine, and those with male counterparts like track/tennis/golf/swimming are okay too, but if I were a coach of w soccer or rowing I’d be worried.

I’d hope that the school would keep them all use this opportunity to expand and add men’s soccer or lacrosse but if they are paying out athletes directly it likely won’t go that way.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:53 PM, bullet said:

I don't remember any school adding a men's sport.  A number of schools have added women's sports.

Why do you hate UTRGV?   

Arizona State also added a D1 hockey program several years back.  

You're more likely to see mens sports being added at the D2 level.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:42 PM, TKthunder2 said:

NIL is 100% outside of the University and not subject to title IX. The big question is if football splits off from the AD and is no longer subject to title IX then what happens to women sports?

Popular sports like volleyball and softball are likely fine, and those with male counterparts like track/tennis/golf/swimming are okay too, but if I were a coach of w soccer or rowing I’d be worried.

I’d hope that the school would keep them all use this opportunity to expand and add men’s soccer or lacrosse but if they are paying out athletes directly it likely won’t go that way.

The courts will decide that question. https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/publications/2023/12/lawsuit-with-claim-of-unequal-access-to-nil-opportunities-raises

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

NIL and getting paid for on field performance aren’t the same thing even though they are fucked up and conflated right now. 

I don't think there's any difference between the two anyway.

The name, image, and likeness of someone who plays 8 special teams snaps vs. the NIL of someone who leads the team in rushing touchdowns are very different. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zeus said:

I don't think there's any difference between the two anyway.

The name, image, and likeness of someone who plays 8 special teams snaps vs. the NIL of someone who leads the team in rushing touchdowns are very different. 

Destroying got disqualified from playing ncaa football for his YouTube channel. He makes more money than nearly every single pro football player now. 

NIL has a component driven by your on field success and accolades, but it’s only a single factor of many. 

all of you are acting like sponsorships are some new thing that has never existed. It has existed for a long time. Is it legal for a player to get 100k for a single tweet? 

In professional football your salary isn’t an NIL deal, it’s a compensation for an occupation with a negotiated contract and performance stipulations. If that happens in college then title IX will definitely be involved, but that’s not actually NIL that’s player salary. 

if they opened up rev share for each sport and had a system for ticket purchasers or holders to assign it to a general pool or a particular student athlete then that would be NIL. If the opportunities are lopsided and then the money paid out is lopsided then that’s a title IX issue, but if the opportunity and promotion is the same, but people just happen to choose football or player X then that wouldn’t really be an issue as I understand it. 

the main issue right now isn’t the lack of rules around NIL or the playing field being that out of whack. It’s that NIL in college specifically is rife with shady people, no agents or information sharing and no true market benchmarks for anything. There are plenty of people who are fine with the status quo because it currently suits them, but honestly it’s unhealthy overall for the college athletics and the ecosystem of players. It creates a strange dynamic for coaching staffs and athletic departments and student athletes. 

we offered to do a $500 meet and greet with the best running back in the country who is actually fun and cool to hang out with and had 0 people buy tickets. If people aren’t willing to pay $500 to meet Jonathon Brooks then that’s fine, but that’s a clear indication that his value as a brand outside of football is low. That’s the issue in a nutshell with NIL today. It’s not about the person it’s about the on field performance and need for skill set matching the coaches roster planning. Until there is actual enforcement for pay for play or coercion they are going to be tied together. 

I was hoping for a significant amount of content from student athletes, but all NIL has done is made their already strained relationship with media and social media even more manufactured and lame.