SEC/BIG form Joint Advisory Group

BurntOrange&White

55 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This has got to be an awkward moment for some of them.  Actual, credentialed academic leaders from Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, et. al. having to sit with dipshits from Tennessee, South Carolina, and Alabama.  Some of those SEC schools have leadership that can barely read.  Meantime, the leading research public Ivies have to make nice with them to achieve some monetary gains?  Whew...

Hey, remember, Nebraska joined em a while back.

"The 'N' stands for Nowledge!"

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Satchel said:

This will help fix the money problems being experienced by the Sec and B1g.

I love it.  Already tired of the left behind bastards eating their scraps.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

This has got to be an awkward moment for some of them.  Actual, credentialed academic leaders from Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, et. al. having to sit with dipshits from Tennessee, South Carolina, and Alabama.  Some of those SEC schools have leadership that can barely read.  Meantime, the leading research public Ivies have to make nice with them to achieve some monetary gains?  Whew...

They can ask UT for tips.  

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If this spells the end of the buy a win games that’s good for competition but probably very bad for the little schools that need those millions to operate their AD. 

I would think those games aren’t going anywhere, the bottom 1/3 of both the SEC and B1G still need those to (hopefully) buy a couple wins to have a shot to go bowling on the reg. Every once in a while someone like Indiana gets smashed by a directional Michigan MAC school but by and large they still need those games to pad the wins.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Yep, it begins. Purdue? Rutgers? South Carolina? GTFO.

image.thumb.png.1136bfa62496aaf2653da68a1d2d5c28.png

Naw. Here is the difference between those schools, and the IR8:

Thise schools are in conferences that pay all members twice the amount that the IR8 conference gets. 

Media money is very important-that’s what pays for operations, staff and facilities. Rutgers, Indiana, Mississippi State- they don’t hurt media payouts. IR8? They do. 

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

Rutgers, Indiana, Mississippi State- they don’t hurt media payouts. IR8? They do. 

Agreed.

Then just schedule b1g and SEC together.  Every game.  nobody else.  LOLz no wonder Saban retired.

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well the current Alabama president IS an aggy.

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well the current Alabama president IS an aggy.

And the Tennessee president got his bachelor's at Tennessee, but his master's at OU!

I thought when I looked it up I would find a bunch of UNC, Cal and Michigan degrees.

I am picturing a meeting between Baylor and Penn State.  With a very uncomfortable exchange of photographs.  

They’ll be so confused on who to rape.
The new game is just called EA College Football. I can’t remember exactly if there is any relationship between the game and the NCAA at all like in the past and how much that changes the presentation.
image.gif.7d339f91cd629b500c7eaf38381fca5c.gif

Regardless of what EA calls it, it will take a decade before it’s not called NCAA Football.

I forget the standup comic.  but he has a bit about the Vikings.  And the venn diagram.  "I feel like we're focusing too much on the pillaging.  And not enough on the rape."  Little known fact, centuries later...his descendants went on to lead a Baptist University in the Southern United States.  Shit gets weird...

People I know in college athletics say that we are about to see the NCAA go away (for D1).  And D1 is going to be split into two leagues.  To be in the Tier One league, 50% of all athletes at each University must receive an NIL deal of $30K, and each sport will be fully funded scholarship wise.  Tier Two will use minimums with NIL and have a cap, scholarships per team will have a minimum like now, but allow for fully funded sports.

Also, Tier One will be its own league, and Tier Two will go back to regionalized conferences.

There are some other specifics, but the gist of it is who want to play the NIL game and who doesn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Regardless of what EA calls it, it will take a decade before it’s not called NCAA Football.

No doubt. Just saying that it shouldn’t have too big of impact on the game if/when the NCAA isn’t in control since (I believe) they have already distanced themselves from each other.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

This concerns me a lot. College Football is a national obsession but we seem to be working hard to kill interest in huge parts of the country. 

We'll see. Once those other schools become minor leagues they might wilt away and their alumni and fans will stop being College Football fans. That will lead to an overall shrinking audience. Now granted maybe that is wrong but that is absolutely what I would do should UT become irrelevant in college football. I wouldn't watch the big time College Football anymore.

yea I don't think this will work out how people think it will

Charter and ESPN just went through a long negotiation about cramming channels on lower tier cable packages like the ACCn and the SEC SEC SECn and there have been other pushes against it before.....several systems took the BTN off their lower tiers several years back

the ACC is sitting there thinking they are going to get $1.23 per sub per month for all of California, and Texas based on Cal, Stanford, and SMU now being "in state" and there is no chance that cable companies are going to let that go on forever even if current contracts call for it

now I am seeing a lot of reports that all the magical "streaming" is going to shit too because companies are doing the exact same shit....putting 400 channels no one wants and no one gives a fuck about in their packages and streaming charges are getting as high or higher than cable bills.....and ESPN still sucks complete cocks at streaming they are probably the worst of the worst and they think they are just going to bypass cable companies, cram all their shit in a package and either offer it themselves for $20+ a month or make streaming companies take all of their shit

people are dropping streaming left and right already and even more are going with the periodic sign up when there are sports seasons they are interested on or others are signing up and binge watching the good shows and then dropping it a couple of months later and doing other shit with their money

if you cut out 88 plus D1-A teams from D1-A you can count on a very high % of people just not signing up for anything ESPN at all and their revenues will go to shit....of course some will say "well those 40 in the highest division will just take the bulk of the money", but as it is now with "cramming" of channels the bulk of the money for ESPN is people that do not give a fuck about sports at all....start losing rabid fans from 88 teams and it is going to be an issue

college sports is not like major leagues and really a lot of things about major league sports are pretty shitty and getting shittier....not really something to emulate especially with ESPN in the lead of making it happen

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

This concerns me a lot. College Football is a national obsession but we seem to be working hard to kill interest in huge parts of the country. 

We'll see. Once those other schools become minor leagues they might wilt away and their alumni and fans will stop being College Football fans. That will lead to an overall shrinking audience. Now granted maybe that is wrong but that is absolutely what I would do should UT become irrelevant in college football. I wouldn't watch the big time College Football anymore.

There are parts of the country that care about college football and parts that don’t. In parts that care, Ohio, for example, students and alums of various schools (Miami, Youngstown, Cincinnati) tend to root for the Buckeyes. 

Most of Oklahoma roots for the Sooners already. In a few years, OSU students will wear OU t shirts to class (I bet they already do at Tulsa). In short order, UH students will have Longhorn shirts and caps, and in a few more years, TT students will, too. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I honestly think a lot of people are completely disconnected from what actually drives eyeballs and revenue place. 

the NFL has a lot of league fans, and plenty of team fans. I would argue that most people who watch NFL games who are fans of one team (80%+) watch at least one other game from another team that same weekend. 

Fantasy sports has made watching the NFL crazy good for the league. No one cares about teams they care about their fantasy roster. It was the single most transformative way to change the sport without on the field rule changes. 

College football isn’t some hard thing to figure out. The millions of eyeballs aren’t there because it’s a brand/team playing. It’s a component, but a lot of it has to do with the pure entertainment value. It’s fun as hell to watch a back and forth CFB game. It’s great to watch 2 big time teams duke it out from different conferences. Etc etc. you know what games don’t get good ratings? Blowouts and FCS vs CFP top 10 teams. 

if fans really gave a shit about their team and their team only CFB would have gone a completely different direction already from a TV/Media contract perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

yea I don't think this will work out how people think it will

Charter and ESPN just went through a long negotiation about cramming channels on lower tier cable packages like the ACCn and the SEC SEC SECn and there have been other pushes against it before.....several systems took the BTN off their lower tiers several years back

the ACC is sitting there thinking they are going to get $1.23 per sub per month for all of California, and Texas based on Cal, Stanford, and SMU now being "in state" and there is no chance that cable companies are going to let that go on forever even if current contracts call for it

now I am seeing a lot of reports that all the magical "streaming" is going to shit too because companies are doing the exact same shit....putting 400 channels no one wants and no one gives a fuck about in their packages and streaming charges are getting as high or higher than cable bills.....and ESPN still sucks complete cocks at streaming they are probably the worst of the worst and they think they are just going to bypass cable companies, cram all their shit in a package and either offer it themselves for $20+ a month or make streaming companies take all of their shit

people are dropping streaming left and right already and even more are going with the periodic sign up when there are sports seasons they are interested on or others are signing up and binge watching the good shows and then dropping it a couple of months later and doing other shit with their money

if you cut out 88 plus D1-A teams from D1-A you can count on a very high % of people just not signing up for anything ESPN at all and their revenues will go to shit....of course some will say "well those 40 in the highest division will just take the bulk of the money", but as it is now with "cramming" of channels the bulk of the money for ESPN is people that do not give a fuck about sports at all....start losing rabid fans from 88 teams and it is going to be an issue

college sports is not like major leagues and really a lot of things about major league sports are pretty shitty and getting shittier....not really something to emulate especially with ESPN in the lead of making it happen

28 members of FBS were FCS or not even playing football 30 years ago.  19 of those weren't FBS or weren't playing football only 20 years ago.  16 of those moved up 2012 or later.  There is a lot of FBS that wouldn't be missed.  As for Division I, 40 years ago over 100 of the 364 were Division II, III, NAIA or not playing sports.  You could lop the bottom 10 conferences out of NCAA basketball and nobody would notice as they hardly have any fans.

If the new league can generate just half the money the NFL does that is 9 billion a year industry. In 2022 NCAA only made like 1.2 billion. 

9 billion to 48 teams is like 190 million per team a year and at 60 teams that's like 150 million per team. 

There is absolutely too much money being left on the table. Anything over 1.2 billion is TONS more money for member teams of whatever becomes of CFB.

18 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

People I know in college athletics say that we are about to see the NCAA go away (for D1).  And D1 is going to be split into two leagues.  To be in the Tier One league, 50% of all athletes at each University must receive an NIL deal of $30K, and each sport will be fully funded scholarship wise.  Tier Two will use minimums with NIL and have a cap, scholarships per team will have a minimum like now, but allow for fully funded sports.

Also, Tier One will be its own league, and Tier Two will go back to regionalized conferences.

There are some other specifics, but the gist of it is who want to play the NIL game and who doesn’t.

That's what I have been saying about the formation of the Super Best Friends Conference.

The only delay has been how to handle the NIL, and the NCAA was needed as the fall guy. I have no idea how this will end but, I don't doubt these folks, any of them, can fuck it up but good.

18 hours ago, troph said:

Wait so we need to create an equal playing field with NIL? Now that Texas is legally paying players it needs to be equal? Fuck that shit you fucking cheaters and now whiny titty babies.

Poor Bama, Clemson, Aggie, LSU, etc. really want everyone on a fair, level playing field with a standardized NIL so they can get back to focusing on their established bag games.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

State laws govern NIL, the NCAA  never can, nor can any other body that the conferences try to put together to standardize it.  The states aren't ever going to bother standardizing so only a federal law could, and I doubt we ever see one.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If the new league can generate just half the money the NFL does that is 9 billion a year industry. In 2022 NCAA only made like 1.2 billion. 

9 billion to 48 teams is like 190 million per team a year and at 60 teams that's like 150 million per team. 

There is absolutely too much money being left on the table. Anything over 1.2 billion is TONS more money for member teams of whatever becomes of CFB.

that is the "NCAA"......that is not including conference media deals, bowl game revenues, playoff revenues ect

that $1.2 billion would be better compared to only what the NBA brings in for their playoffs not even the regular season

On 2/2/2024 at 2:07 PM, YGIFS said:

Keep neg repping me all you want, I deserve most of it.  But this one genuinely has me confused with some of you neg repping it.  Did you guys fail outta Auburn or something?  I honestly don't get the negative feedback on this one.  Most Big 10 schools are academic superstars.  Most SEC schools are run by morons.  Now, if A&M leaves, and we join---it's a net positive even with OU coming with us.  It is mind-bottling how little some of you understand about how higher education works.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Keep neg repping me all you want, I deserve most of it.  But this one genuinely has me confused with some of you neg repping it.  Did you guys fail outta Auburn or something?  I honestly don't get the negative feedback on this one.  Most Big 10 schools are academic superstars.  Most SEC schools are run by morons.  Now, if A&M leaves, and we join---it's a net positive even with OU coming with us.  It is mind-bottling how little some of you understand about how higher education works.  

I agree that, on average, the Big 10 is (significantly) stronger academically than the SEC. I think it's not as black and white as you're making it seem, however. The SEC has some great schools, like Vanderbilt, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, and Georgia. The Big 10 also has some pretty mediocre ones, like Oregon, Nebraska, and Iowa. Who knows how realignment will change this too, since Virginia, North Carolina, Stanford, and Cal are all fantastic academically and will be up for grabs when the ACC crumbles.

In any case, I don't give a fuck about the rest of the SEC or how other people perceive it. I'm a Texas fan, and we are exceptional at everything we do, whether it's academics or athletics. That's all that matters to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Yeah, point taken.  with the realignment...things will be markedly different.  I was speaking from a historical perspective where the SEC's administrative leadership was absolute garbage and the Big 10 was the model of public higher ed research for a half century or more.  To be fair though, don't lump in Georgia or A&M with Texas and Vandy next time though ;)  Apples and shit Oranges to be honest.  But yep. this massive reshuffle is gonna change everything from research alliances to athletics to intercollegiate club sports and all else in between.  This was always gonna happen eventually, but it is just plain weird seeing it play out so fast and so vast.  Not at all what I thought would happen 10 years ago.  But probably for the best...

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, point taken.  with the realignment...things will be markedly different.  I was speaking from a historical perspective where the SEC's administrative leadership was absolute garbage and the Big 10 was the model of public higher ed research for a half century or more.  To be fair though, don't lump in Georgia or A&M with Texas and Vandy next time though ;)  Apples and shit Oranges to be honest.  But yep. this massive reshuffle is gonna change everything from research alliances to athletics to intercollegiate club sports and all else in between.  This was always gonna happen eventually, but it is just plain weird seeing it play out so fast and so vast.  Not at all what I thought would happen 10 years ago.  But probably for the best...

That's pretty fair. The Big 10 has always had that reputation, and for good reason, especially now that the Pac-12 is gone.

I hate Texas A&M as much as anyone (I refused to apply there for undergrad on principle), but I can't deny that I have a lot of respect for their engineering and business programs. That doesn't change the fact that they're worse than us and their administration has a loser mentality that has led to nearly a century's worth of failures athletically. It's possible for multiple things to be true.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

the key point in the yahoo article:

+++

SEC, Big Ten on Project DI

The buzz within the two conferences grew louder last week, when Yahoo Sports published a story ahead of a meeting in Washington D.C. between the five major conference commissioners and NCAA president Charlie Baker — a story that outlined the Big Ten and SEC’s internal pushback of Baker’s proposed new college athlete model, dubbed Project DI.

Project DI will be one of the first topics addressed by the joint advisory group, Sankey said. Project DI, revealed in December, would permit schools to strike NIL deals directly with athletes while also creating a separate subdivision in FBS for high-revenue producing schools. Those schools in the new subdivision will be required to put away into a trust a minimum of $30,000 annually per athlete for at least half of a school’s athletes.