Did You Ever Attend A Truly Integrated School?

MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Integrated, but still very segregated. As in, blacks hung out in one hallway, whites in another, mexicans in a different part of the building, etc. I guess you would call it integrated technically but self-segregated practically.

This was a thing at my high school. It was invisible. I only realized it Senior year when I made actual friends (instead of acquaintance) with somebody black. I'd see my [1] black friend coming down the hall, and half the time I'd scare hell out of him because he was visually "blocking out" all the white faces. Half the time he'd get me the same way.

That's how the whole town worked. Later, I lived in Mexico and got used to looking at everybody. Then I'd come home to my old town and scare the bejeezus out of black people by making normal human eye contact.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 6:35 AM, utee94 said:

Austin, I was bused to Webb Elementary on E. St. John's for 4-5-6, and Martin Junior High on Haskell for 7 and 8.  They were highly integrated because it was forced integration, of course.

Anderson High, on the other hand, was pretty lily...

The exact same for me.  I lived right across from Kiddie Acres and was bused to Webb and Martin.  Sprinted to the bus every day to keep from the 16-17 year old Mexican kids from attacking.  Once safe on the bus at Martin, we saw many of fights in the street waiting to take the 1 hour ride home.  

23 hours ago, Big D said:

The exact same for me.  I lived right across from Kiddie Acres and was bused to Webb and Martin.  Sprinted to the bus every day to keep from the 16-17 year old Mexican kids from attacking.  Once safe on the bus at Martin, we saw many of fights in the street waiting to take the 1 hour ride home.  

These days Kiddie Acres looks like the setting of some kind of clown based horror movie.