Wichita Mountains, OK

RiceOwl

52 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Thinking about driving up one weekend before football season starts.

What are the best hikes? Things to see, places to eat/drink on the way, etc..

Seems like the closest decent hiking to DFW. 

Look at Quartz Mountain state park. SLightly further drive (maybe an hour).  Check out the photos

2 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

The Charon's Garden area of the Wichita's has solid hiking.   The de facto place to eat in the area is probably Meers. 

BTW, the nearest town is Lawton, which is considered a complete shit hole . . . even by Oklahoma standards

Lawton is both a shithole and dangerous.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Have you considered Turner Falls? Never been there personally, but know a lot of friends that have and they say good things. Lots of stuff to do around there, too.

Turner Falls is a great area.   Haven’t been in about 10-12 years but I always loved it 

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Have you considered Turner Falls? Never been there personally, but know a lot of friends that have and they say good things. Lots of stuff to do around there, too.

It does look cool... Will have to check it out sometime. That said, it looks a little less ~peaceful~ and isolated than what I’m looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

If you are thinking backpacking rather than day hiking, it would also be worth looking at the Oachita trail, which starts in eastern OK.   Not much further of a drive from DFW and very pretty in the fall.  A very different landscape than the Wichitas though . . . and not as much cool wildlife.  

As one of your resident Sooners, I thought I'd chime in.  Wichita Mountains area is a good hiking spot with terrain that is similar to Enchanted Rock in places.  Lots of granite boulders, canyons, and wildlife.  As mentioned above, the Charon's Garden is the most popular hike, along with Elk Mountain.  I found this resource that mentions trails I've never heard of but look nice:

https://www.hikingproject.com/directory/8013028/wichita-mountains-wildlife-refuge

If you're camping, Great Plains State Park is nice:

https://www.travelok.com/state-parks/3201

If hotel, I'd suggest Quartz Mountain or a hotel in Altus.  Altus is a nice little town with an Air Force base.

Lawton is indeed a shithole.  Avoid.

Restaurants - Meers is a must do.  Several good restaurants in Altus and Snyder, OK, although it's been many years since I was in the area. 

Ouachita Mountains and Winding Stair Mountains is completely different area, more akin to Arkansas or Eastern US mountains and forests.  I'd avoid hiking their in Fall due to hunting season but some incredibly winter time/spring time hikes.  Take a packable flyrod, as every stream is loaded with smallmouth bass and sunfish.

Edited by MalibuSheriff

OP, check out the Pushmataha Wildlife Management Area in southeastern OK.  A bit more off (way off?) the beaten path, more of a Central Eastern US forest vibe.  All kinds of things you can do in the area.  Sardis Lake is nearby with hiking and fishing opportunities, too.  Go camping or get a cabin through Airbnb.  Gorgeous area.