Suits in Austin

kevwun

I want a decent general purpose suit that I can wear to weddings, funerals, etc.  Something in between the men's warehouse and Armani.  I have done some internetting and Leauge of Rebels seems like it might be worth checking out.  Any other suggestions?

Do you know what style of suits you prefer?  You should probably do some research before investing in a good suit.  Figure out what you like in terms of the shape of the shoulder (natural vs. a little padding), lapel width, number of buttons, vents, etc.  

If you want to go on the lower end, I would probably try SuitSupply.  If I were going to spend a bit more, I would probably go to Houston or Dallas and go somewhere like Sid Mashburn.   

If I was to get a navy or dark gray suit with a shirt and tie combo that was appropriate for either one, that wouldn't work?  I never have to wear them for work and I don't go to many formal events.  I'd rather have one nice one instead of two cheaper ones.  I know I don't want an ultra slim fit as is the current style.

Edited by kevwun

i assume you're not attending many funerals.  and once there, you're not trying to impress or hit on the widower.  if true, just get some cheap shit for that occasion, dark as the night.

then, determine what occasions where you *do* want to wear a suit to... what seasons are they, who else will be there, and let that dictate the other suit.

This time of year, you're gonna want a half-canvassed suit and/or tropical wool.  The shit we get pitched by the usual stores/designers here in Texas is misleading because you know, we live on the sun half the year.  There are plenty of gorgeous options style and fit and quality-wise but they suck ass for 5 months of the year.  Sound like this may be your first real well-made suit.  So go with a 4-season build, and by that I mean summer.  You can always flatten and dress up a thinner suit and be comfortable.  But you can't always wear a heavier constructed suit and try not to pretend you're not sweating your ass off.  You mentioned funerals and weddings.  Most traditional labels with traditional builds are gonna make it look like you either fucked the bride or murdered the deceased.