The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

Wow…way to go Tommy!

I took a look thru their website, looks like a nice family owned business. Opened in 1978 I think. Was cruising thru the pics section…and sure looked like Chris Layton in one of the photos. 

Chris is in there often - I saw him on my last visit there. He’s a nice guy.

Tommy has all kinds of people come through his doors - a lot of touring guys killing time. He keeps talking about getting Fibes rolling again and I hope he does.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, G650 said:

Those look rad as hell

Yes, they sure as shit do. Put that 13” over to the left and keep the 16” in the floor and I’d be heaven. Then make some kinda of super high pitched, snared piccolo/roto/timbale out of the 12” tom and put it off to the left of your hihat. (Also, that floor tom looks really deep - curious what the dimensions are). Anywho, Fuck Yeah to that kit. Well done. 

I’m realizing that my recent dalliance into songwriting has me slacking off on purchasing new drum stuff. 

Rock on, Runge! 

Edited by ohchaucer
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Yes, they sure as shit do. Put that 13” over to the left and keep the 16” in the floor and I’d be heaven. Then make some kinda of super high pitched, snared piccolo/roto/timbale out of the 12” tom and put it off to the left of your hihat. (Also, that floor tom looks really deep - curious what the dimensions are). Anywho, Fuck Yeah to that kit. Well done. 

I’m realizing that my recent dalliance into songwriting has me slacking off on purchasing new drum stuff. 

Rock on, Runge! 

Thanks!

The sizes are 22x14, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16….but as I know you know, they sound MUCH deeper and larger than their dimensions. Super heavy, over-engineered pieces. Not exactly gig friendly lol….but oh that sound. I’m having a lot of fun just messing with different tunings…they have a wide range.

Those racks tuned high are something else, never heard that sound before in person out of a drum 

Just now, rungeflash said:

Thanks!

The sizes are 22x14, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16….but as I know you know, they sound MUCH deeper and larger than their dimensions. Super heavy, over-engineered pieces. Not exactly gig friendly lol….but oh that sound. I’m having a lot of fun just messing with different tunings…they have a wide range.

Those racks tuned high are something else, never heard that sound before in person out of a drum 

Very cool. Yeah that’s a lot of wood for a load-in/load-out for a Thursday night gig at Ego’s…. but in a studio… nice. 

Just as an aside, I think right now is the first time in my (way too many) years (decades?) on this and the other site that TWO drum conversations are above guitars or anything else.

Won’t last long, but for now it’s a Thanksgiving Miracle….. Well done, little drummer boys!

• Like 1

Alright guys, it's a shameful day I thought would never come. For a few reasons I need to pickup a kit (please don't tell respectable folks).

I need to get something very flexible and middle of the road that I can get consistent sounds out of. I've kind of landed on a vintage Gretsch, and need the collective wisdom here to bring up any pitfalls I need to look out for.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Alright guys, it's a shameful day I thought would never come. For a few reasons I need to pickup a kit (please don't tell respectable folks).

I need to get something very flexible and middle of the road that I can get consistent sounds out of. I've kind of landed on a vintage Gretsch, and need the collective wisdom here to bring up any pitfalls I need to look out for.

Make sure they’re round.

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Do you have a pic?
What are you using them for?

I don't have a specific set in mind yet, just I've generally zeroed in on that general idea as it's a very flexible option. I need to be able to supply various drummers a kit for tracking if the need arises. Side mission, it would give me something to futz around on myself at times.

I don't have a specific set in mind yet, just I've generally zeroed in on that general idea as it's a very flexible option. I need to be able to supply various drummers a kit for tracking if the need arises. Side mission, it would give me something to futz around on myself at times.

Ahhh- I gotcha.

We’ll make sure they’re round and no cracks and sound good.

I e got a set I’d sell. Somewhere on this thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

@G650 what's the budget for shells, and what configuration?

I'd like to keep it under 3k. I'm thinking round badge Gretsch, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions from people that actually know about drums.

I'd kind of like 2 rack toms, but a 13 with a 16 floor and a kick would certainly suffice for the time being. I plan on buying a Supraphonic snare separately.

Especially buying vintage….be careful. This phonic i just bought, the 16 floor has a crack in an inner ply. It does not affect the way it sounds because it sounds orgasmic and you’d never know looking at it because it’s fucking beautiful….but still pisses me off none the less. Besides some online pics, I bought sight unseen. And they were shipped from Germany. Not sure if the shipper did it or the seller was not truthful, but I bitched and got a partial refund. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is new product off the table?

Pretty much, but I never say never.

Just now, rungeflash said:

Especially buying vintage….be careful. This phonic i just bought, the 16 floor has a crack in an inner ply. It does not affect the way it sounds because it sounds orgasmic and you’d never know looking at it because it’s fucking beautiful….but still pisses me off none the less. Besides some online pics, I bought sight unseen. And they were shipped from Germany. Not sure if the shipper did it or the seller was not truthful, but I bitched and got a partial refund. 

Indeed, this is why I want to pick actual drummers brains on what to look for and any sort of known pitfalls of that era.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Yeah, with vintage I'd buy retail and be very clear with my questions.  "Do you know of any issues, either cosmetic or functional, with these drums?"  Any reputable store isn't gonna lie to you.

When I was buying a kit last summer two different stores steered me away from kits that they surely would like to move because of damage, some of which was quite minor.  I appreciated it, because I really didn't know what I was doing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Pretty much, but I never say never.

Indeed, this is why I want to pick actual drummers brains on what to look for and any sort of known pitfalls of that era.

You’ll get great advice.

Scenario A….try to buy local or known party. If that doesn’t work, and you still want vintage, even shipped….request pics of the shells bearing edges and interiors. If a seller will not do that….move on down the road. They probably have something to hide 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was gonna say three things- bearing edges (especially batter side), dents or cracks, and hardware in good shape. Other than that, have a sense of priorities (wood type, shell thickness, wrap vs stain, etc). You should also be familiar with mounting and stands comparability (eg, Pearl is different and proprietary, some Sonor are, etc). Definitely good to play first but I’ve bought lots of things online and been overall fine. (More for things like snares vs overall kits though.)

Generally contemporary drums from any of the main companies are going to be of good quality and outside of recording, there diminishing returns above a certain point for maple kits.

Of the big brands, I’m partial to Ludwig, followed by Gretsch. DW I think you’re paying for brand and endorser fanboy-ism. Yamaha is the gold standard overall - especially for recording (in my opinion) but only really at the higher end maple and hybrid. Tama also fine. I played Pearl for a little while and they are okay but the mounting/hardware and overall quality aren’t my cup of tea. If you want to go more niche I like Sonor, Noble & Cooley and C&C but all those are going to be expensive.

Cruser, that is a sweet set. If I were buying a new kit that wasn’t a Yamaha any time soon, I’d be going straight for Ludwig classic maple. Great sounding kits and very nice finishes.

G650 I’m happy to look at anything if you want a second set of eyes. Generally it sounds like you know enough to be plenty dangerous. And remember, as long as their structural integrity is good, most any drum can be tuned to sound great.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Generally it sounds like you know enough to be plenty dangerous

Knowing just enough to be dangerous is the story of my life!

Appreciate the thoughts, I could probably be persuaded into a vintage Ludwig kit if the right one popped up. I think jazz dudes really favor the Gretsch in my experience and I don't think rock guys care that much is how I've landed more on Gretsch.

• Hook 'Em 1

I finally got the renowns out of the drum room and the phonics situated and tuned. I wasn’t for sure initially, but I’m really not missing the extra 14 floor the renowns had at all. I have more room 2 up 1 down and it’s easier not having to turn so far to reach the 16.

These fuckers rumble in the jungle 

53365986522_2cd05a099d_k.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So drummers . . . is the idea of a virgin kick drum REALLY a thing?

Well, it just means it’s not drilled for a mount. For example, Gretsch just calls their 22x14 “virgin” kick a “no-mount” on their spec sheet.  But….if you go to Sweetwaters website for their advertisement of that same kick, Sweetwater will call it a “virgin” kick. So the “virgin” description is used in the industry somewhat 

7 hours ago, rungeflash said:

Well, it just means it’s not drilled for a mount. For example, Gretsch just calls their 22x14 “virgin” kick a “no-mount” on their spec sheet.  But….if you go to Sweetwaters website for their advertisement of that same kick, Sweetwater will call it a “virgin” kick. So the “virgin” description is used in the industry somewhat 

No, that's not what I meant.  I'm asking if it's "important" or "better" than a kick drum with a drilled hardware mount.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, that's not what I meant.  I'm asking if it's "important" or "better" than a kick drum with a drilled hardware mount.

Some aficionados would say yes and only buy virgins, they’ll say it resonates more “purely”. I have both and can’t tell a difference. My renown is virgin….the phonic is drilled, with a huge weighty mount, then a massive mount rod goes into the kick…..that phonic resonates the most pure kick sound I’ve ever heard. My opinion…snake oil 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Opinion of one: it don’t make a shit. But I’m certainly no sound engineer so I could be wrong. More aesthetic preference and might make a difference in set-up depending on drum sizes and configuration.

For my daughter I certainly think the mounted tom stand makes sense because of touring demands.  I just wondered if there was an ACTUAL sonic difference.  Sounds like it's minor if it exists at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For my daughter I certainly think the mounted tom stand makes sense because of touring demands.  I just wondered if there was an ACTUAL sonic difference.  Sounds like it's minor if it exists at all.

I don’t dismiss the entire thing….because there are people that believe it. In fact, Tama was compelled enough to believe, or enough market forces were being applied…,but they made a tom rack system that attaches to their kick drum with no drilling at all IIRC. They claim the best of both worlds. It does look pretty slick, just not sure I believe the tonal difference hype

• 3 months later...

I got the itch to add a 14 tom but have struck out finding anything in metallic silver. So….I came across this one and decided I’d add an “orphan” to the set.

It’s a 14x10 rack, in outer oak veneer. It was built September 1979 and it has the internal “tone control” muffler which so far I really like. We’ll see if it stays rattle free…but so far so good. I’m running it in a low profile Pearl snare stand.

53585664468_6b7244b928_k.jpg

53585664498_d90c980c23_k.jpg

53586185262_7a75494476_k.jpg