The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

That Ludwig keystone kit is gorgeous.  I'm partial to the Gretsch Renowns, otherwise.  My daughter had a set we bought from a surly, it was fantastic but ultimately just a little too big for her at that age.

Agree- love that color.

But I’ve been on an orange sparkle kick for the last few years. I finally need to just do it.

I’ll add this - I haven’t set my drums up in 4 years.

Jesus Christ guys, ask and you shall receive. Thanks much for all the feedback.

jimmy, how am I supposed to play yyz on a 3 pc shell? Kidding. Not married to 4 pc shell at all. It just happens to be what I’m used to from my Yamaha electronic kit that I’ve been doing training on. I’m fortunate not to be too terribly constrained by budget, etc so it feels like a why not. That said, i am completely open to downsizing and know that third Tom isn’t going to make or break something sounding good. 

That cherry renown set that runge posted on the last page and the burnt orange one that rip posted on this page are both calling my name alone with the first pearl set I posted. Just trying to understand the differences between them and why the one with a snare is the same price. Are the stock gretsch snares good?

• Hook 'Em 1

To my recollection, Gretsch uses a different shape bearing edge than most manufacturers.  If true, that's probably some of the tone difference, along (of course) with basics like drum size/depth, wood choice(s), bracing, # lugs, etc.  

Can you go play a few different brands at some stores?  I imagine something will speak to you.

Ya gretsch uses a 30 degree bearing angle vs most other manufacturers using 45 degrees…..the 30 degree supposedly creates a softer initial attack and a warmer sound. I have the 14x6.5 renown rn2 snare in burnt orange and it’s a great, solid sounding maple snare. 

55 minutes ago, sidis said:

Jesus Christ guys, ask and you shall receive. Thanks much for all the feedback.

jimmy, how am I supposed to play yyz on a 3 pc shell? Kidding. Not married to 4 pc shell at all. It just happens to be what I’m used to from my Yamaha electronic kit that I’ve been doing training on. I’m fortunate not to be too terribly constrained by budget, etc so it feels like a why not. That said, i am completely open to downsizing and know that third Tom isn’t going to make or break something sounding good. 

That cherry renown set that runge posted on the last page and the burnt orange one that rip posted on this page are both calling my name alone with the first pearl set I posted. Just trying to understand the differences between them and why the one with a snare is the same price. Are the stock gretsch snares good?

I think they offer bundle configurations at times and a snare could be included. When I bought my burnt orange sparkle renown kit the matching snare was not included….but I called Sweetwater directly and they offered me a smoking deal with the snare (and the 10” rack tom as well). Performance wise, you will not be disappointed…..but having said that, I could see someone omitting it and possibly getting another snare all together….say something of a metallic shell flavor. There’s really not a right or wrong answer. 

10 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Ya gretsch uses a 30 degree bearing angle vs most other manufacturers using 45 degrees…..the 30 degree supposedly creates a softer initial attack and a warmer sound. I have the 14x6.5 renown rn2 snare in burnt orange and it’s a great, solid sounding maple snare. 

Is the bearing angle measured from the vertical plane or horizontal?

17 hours ago, topochico said:

I was looking for links to add Lone Star Percussion to potential purchase locations. They apparently closed in Oct 2022. WFT. 

No shit?! Ya that’s unfortunate and surprising…..but this music business is really crowded with retailers. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Is the bearing angle measured from the vertical plane or horizontal?

I would think it’s measured from the vertical plane….at least looking at pics of some of my drums (I have a yamaha tour custom maple snare with a 45 degree for comparison)

Just now, rungeflash said:

Well shit…maybe that is horizontal reference?! I flunked geometry lol

Lol. Yeah that's horizontal. I always assumed vertical myself but how you described Gretsch made me start wondering

• Hook 'Em 1

I might have some cymbals to sell in a moment, mostly Zildjian A.  As I've commented more than necessary, my daughter's band is on tour in support for Off!, whose drummer also plays for Thundercat.  Last night was their last show.  He gave her 4 cymbals!  If she wants to use those, I'm gonna sell some or all of the ones I've collected for her over the years, because I sure don't need cymbals.  Surly discount will apply.  I'll update once she gets back.  (NY -> Austin by band van, ugh.)

The yamaha brass snare came factory with the venerable coated ambassador….and it sounds badass with it. But I decided I’d try another batter head or 2 to see what it sounds like. I researched some head combos off youtube…and this one demo had a brass snare with a remo powerstroke3 coated and it sounded really good…so I ordered one.  

Oh shit….it sounded fuckn horrible no matter how I tuned it. Low, mid, high…..like a wet box. Maybe it records better than it sounds in person. Unbelievable, I should have just lit 20 bucks on fire. Off it went.

So I went way out of the box, per a recommendation from the guys at DCP…..and ordered a Ludwig silver dot. These heads are spec’d off the old Ludwig formula and made by Remo. They are unusual with a crimped collar and no glue. I don’t play brushes so having no coating was not a big factor to me. So I slapped it on and holy shit, it is stoopid good on this snare. No matter where I tuned it. Coaxed a beautiful tone out of the shell. The higher G and A tunings are particularly awesome. 

52940283652_25e2928e93_k.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a brass, chrome over aluminum, bronze and 2 maple snares now…..so I’ve been researching steel snares to possibly add one. I’ve listened to a ton of videos and hit a few in stores…..they sound great. They’re typically priced well below snares made of other materials.

This Tama Rockstar steel is an example. This mofo sounds really good. They can be had used in very good condition for $99 or less! Talk about a bargain. Huge bang for buck. I’m eyeing this one…..how can you go wrong for $75? Lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134571327638?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=134571327638&targetid=1529493989662&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027837&poi=&campaignid=19851828444&mkgroupid=145880009174&rlsatarget=pla-1529493989662&abcId=9307249&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpa_L--ik_wIVRZhMCh3GXwdYEAQYBSABEgJDDfD_BwE

Nice! Ya i listened to a couple vids of the Taylor Hawkins model and it sounds damn nice! 

But I think the “secret”….and probably his death…means there are none to be found. I did come across a reverb listing where one sold for $100 seven years ago…..but all recent sales have been thru the roof. I think you’re looking north of 500 if you can find one at all lol

Just now, rungeflash said:

Nice! Ya i listened to a couple vids of the Taylor Hawkins model and it sounds damn nice! 

But I think the “secret”….and probably his death…means there are none to be found. I did come across a reverb listing where one sold for $100 seven years ago…..but all recent sales have been thru the roof. I think you’re looking north of 500 if you can find one at all lol

All the drums I've bought have been for my daughter.  I know I sold one of those to a friend, but I can't remember which one.  I'll have to ask her which steel snare we still have.  MIght need to flip it if it's the Hawkins model.  I don't think I even paid $100 for it new.

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I want to get her an aluminum Ludwig or similar, any suggestions?

Sure! I have a “bstock” 14x5 supra I picked up brand new and it is VERY good. They come up every so often brand new in that 410-450 range. I’m sure 300-350 used could snag one. Also, there is the Acrolite and it plays and sounds very similar….should be out there slightly cheaper than the Supra 

I’ll take a look around and post up a couple links…..

• Hook 'Em 1

What would you expect the main difference would be between a 5" deep snare and a 6.5" deep snare?

And while I'm at it, what would be a seriously rugged kick pedal?  My daughter has broken 3 so far, and touring just takes the beating to the next level.  Tama Iron Cobra?

I think conventional wisdom would say the 5” depth would be slightly drier…less ring….than a 6.5. The 6.5 would accentuate more mids and lows out of the overtones. But it’s kind of a crapshoot on that even with shell material, hoops, heads all being equal. 

As far as pedals…. I use iron cobra and pearl demon….all double chain….no issues. You can go solid “direct drive” lever and those are probably the most robust of all….but very pricey. 

I’d generally only look at 5” depth or smaller in piccolo snare. A 6.5” can do much of what a 5” can do finally, but the reverse isn’t true if that makes sense.

And seconded on the Supra - lots of great snares - and some of the most famous recordings over the years - bear that name. And tend to be much less expensive than the Black Beauty (which might be the only snare with a better recording and performance pedigree).

Of course lots of that is a generalization because as runge has noted a bunch, every instrument is different and heads and tuning prowess can make many many many drums sound great (not to mention mic and room, etc)

think i am settled on a kit.  i think i am going to go with this smaller, three piece shell (since i need to get good at playing a small kit).  i fucking love this color.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/dw-performance-3pc-rock-drum-set-22-13-16-pewter-sparkle-finishply

then a 6.5 b.b.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LB417--ludwig-black-beauty-snare-drum-6.5-inch-by-14-inch

then hit rip up for used zildijans (hihat, crash, and ride).

possibly being stupid but will probably look cool regardless. ;)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

think i am settled on a kit.  i think i am going to go with this smaller, three piece shell (since i need to get good at playing a small kit).  i fucking love this color.
https://www.drumcenternh.com/dw-performance-3pc-rock-drum-set-22-13-16-pewter-sparkle-finishply
then a 6.5 b.b.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LB417--ludwig-black-beauty-snare-drum-6.5-inch-by-14-inch
possibly being stupid but will probably look cool regardless.

That is a beautiful kit. And I like the relatively large tom sizes. It’s gonna sound great. And anyone who’s read any of my drum posts knows I consider the Ludwig BB as the absolute best, most versatile snare out there - that size is my go-to, day-to-day.

Now have fun blowing your budget on cymbals… for the rest of your life! (Gonna just buy a “few”….. yeah, that’s cute. You just wait - it’s simply not possible to walk into a place like DCP or Pro Drums Hollywood and not walk out with something shiny and round).

Well done. Rock on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

then a 6.5 b.b.

then a 6.5 b.b.

That’s a great kit. Love that color and sizes are good. I’d prefer a 14 on bass drum.

6.5 on snare all day every day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:58 PM, sidis said:

then a 6.5 b.b.

possibly being stupid but will probably look cool regardless. ;)

That’s going to be killer, sidis! Nothing stupid about that all.

Have you tuned drums in the past? That will be your next challenge once you get the stuff delivered and it’s actually time to set it up.