The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

God damnit. 

That Pearl kit is nice and I used to have a similar Pearl setup but honestly the finish, hardware and versatility wasn’t as good as what your DWP will have.

It’s hard to go wrong with the current breadth of quality, mid-pro level kits from all the major makers, but you did great with that buy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not a virgin kick drum?  I've always preferred a virgin kick with the tom(s) on snare stands.  Or, rim-mounted to cymbal stands.

No it is a virgin kick….but sidis needs either a dedicated tom stand…..or tom mount that clamps to a cymbal stand….or I suppose you could even drop it in a snare basket…but I think I’d prefer to have it hang from the suspension 

And if something is already ordered… just a reminder. Nothing worse than going set something up and an important piece is missing

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Speaking of hardware…I was reading the DCP link for that DW kit and it says it doesn’t include the mounting hardware for the rack tom…so you’ll need to pick that up for the 13x9

yeah, i grabbed this. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DWCP9999--dw-dwcp9999-9000-series-heavy-duty-tom-and-cymbal-stand

• Hook 'Em 1

Whoa….this one slipped by me. Gretsch Renown LTD mahogany shells, marine pearl inlay, 22x14 kick, die cast hoops. New for summer 2023

That’s purty. Would sound great with an even beefier kick in that mahogany. But I tend toward lower tunings all around. (Snare notwithstanding)

21 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

That’s purty. Would sound great with an even beefier kick in that mahogany. But I tend toward lower tunings all around. (Snare notwithstanding)

Ya they did the same thing on the burnt orange kits….only one kick choice 22x14. This also might indicate the Burnt Orange sparkle run is over with. I think it was 3 years.

What do you like to tune your kick to? I usually have this 22x14 tuned E (41hz) or F (43hz)…..but I’ve tuned it as low as D (36hz) and it hammers it out with good projection. To me, the limiting tuning factor of the RN2 maple renowns like mine are actually the toms…they really shine mid to mid high tuning…lower tuning not so much. 

My daily driver set is a maple Fibes set with 22x18 kick. I honestly couldn’t tell you the frequency it’s tuned to but it’s sweet spot is naturally pretty low. I also dampen it significantly but that’s mainly because of the room I’m in. My kick batter head is fairly tight and pretty asymmetrical from the lower tuning on the resonant side.

In my most common setup with the Fibes, I also have an 18” second floor tom that is wall-shaking low. Much lower tonally even than the kick. It growls. And I let that motherfucker ring out in all its glory!

• Hook 'Em 1

All right, let's talk finishes and wraps.  Show me your top 3.  I'm very partial to wraps.  I'll pull from Gretsch, because Gretsch.  Third one might not really make my list, I prefer more of an oyster wrap, but whatever.  Also, silver sparkle can kick ass because it reflects stage lights so well:

US_TOM_RedGlass-lg.jpg

RN2-0913T-SOP-lg.jpg

US_TOM_SkyBluePearl-lg.jpg

• Like 1

Okay last one for a bit, this kit I sold when I moved from Los Angeles to NYC and had to seriously downsize. Custom orange sparkle with white powder-coated hardware. And massive 22x24 cannon of a kick drum.

No idea who I thought I was when I had this made but it was a great kit.

b4b955bd3d751a69241d2da223423a4d.jpg

fdc587bbb3572c738ad1c0b1c1624584.jpg

I can just see myself smashing that thing against the load-in door at Ego’s (not Emo’s, mind you) back in 1997 and then having our bass player leave a cigarette burning on the kick drum. Or I’d spill my own Jack n Diet on it mid-set and not have any kind of towel or anything.

I like to look at exotic wood drums but don’t think I’d ever spend for one. I beat up drums to badly (and not just back when on the middle-of-the-week, pay-us-in-beer gigging circuit in Austin). That said, lots of the mainstream makers (DW, Noble & Cooley, CC, Yamaha, Mapex, Tama primarily) do some very cool wood drums.

I had a friend who is a Sonor artist in Austin and they gave him one of these last summer and it was pretty sweet sounding. And looked amazing.

9c23419e08aaae305ee62c6ac7024b78.jpg

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

I had a friend who is a Sonor artist in Austin and they gave him one of these last summer and it was pretty sweet sounding. And looked amazing.

Who's that?  Nice looking kit, and I don't tend to like Sonor all that much.

Beautiful.

I’m just a sparkle whore - I think sparkle wraps were made for drums. Shit- I like sparkle on boats and guitars too.

A few years ago Ludwig had their vistalites in a green sparkle as an anniversary option. If I could have gotten past the sound on the kick drum I would have bought them - I still wish I would have bought them anyway.

This can get right the fuck in my belly-

29c5564027f6451fe03b750227bcbdd2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:34 PM, jimmyjazz said:

All right, let's talk finishes and wraps.  Show me your top 3.  I'm very partial to wraps.  I'll pull from Gretsch, because Gretsch.  Third one might not really make my list, I prefer more of an oyster wrap, but whatever.  Also, silver sparkle can kick ass because it reflects stage lights so well:

US_TOM_RedGlass-lg.jpg

RN2-0913T-SOP-lg.jpg

US_TOM_SkyBluePearl-lg.jpg

I actually dig that 3rd one because it is so different than most.  

On 6/15/2023 at 8:04 PM, G650 said:

I don't think I've posted a good shot of my drummers kit. Not a sparkle bits it's a gorgeous translucent green fade. This shot really doesn't do it justice.

20230615-182001.jpg

I like it….just goes to show that you don’t necessarily need sparkle for a finish to look great 

3 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Only one way to find out!

Lol. I suppose so.

I ordered a 14” set, we’ll see! Those DCP guys “guaranteed” I will hear a difference over almost all factory wires….they recommend the non plated model for wood snares and the chrome plated for metal snares 

The Canopus wires are nice. There’s not as much of a difference as swapping heads….but if you’re looking for every possible thing under your control, and you need some fresh wires, yes, I would recommend these. 

I also picked up these Canopus bolt tight leather washers…..ok, now these are the best thing since sliced bread. I can’t recommend these enough….yes I would run out and buy these especially if you’re running metal on metal washers or even the plastic sleeved washers or nylon. My toms have never sounded better and I was having a terrible time before with detuning no matter what I used. These not only hold the tune longer but during tuning it is a breeze to dial in evenly rod to rod. That leather has just enough “give”. Very  accurate tuning.

image.thumb.jpeg.27f38327fb46519d43892cb7df34a670.jpeg

I forgot to post this on Monday regarding those bolt tights….but just a heads up if someone wants to try them….check one of your tension rods before ordering and see if it has a “captive” metal washer. If it does (and lots of manufacturers use those) then that’s an issue because you won’t be able to get the top leather washer on like the picture above. These will not work with only one (I tried). It only works if you sandwich the metallic washer. My gretsch rods were captive….I ordered new tension rods with non captive washers. Works perfectly and I’ve not felt compelled to retune in basically a week now of pounding. I run a “call to post” interval on the 4 toms so it sticks out like a sore thumb when it goes off….still sounding great!

• 3 weeks later...