The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

This one cracks me up -- Metallica with a drummer who doesn't suck ass.  They sound SO much better with a real backbeat.  The half time parts have real tension, too.

Greyson’s was incredible. I’ve watched a bunch of these - he takes longer to digest listening to the drum-less track than most the it’s incredible.

OK, surly drum afficionados.  I'm considering the purchase of a new 3-pc rock kit.  Probably 22" kick, rack tom (size TBD), and 16" floor tom.  

Emphasis NEW.  Custom order if need be.

The quality bar is at least one step above Gretsch Renown.

One line that appears to meet that standard is Ludwig Classic Maple.  DW is probably out, because butt ugly.  Other than that, I'm all ears.  Yamaha would get top consideration, as would Gretsch or Pearl.  Maybe Sonor.  

Price range would ideally fall between $2700 - $3200 but if I do enough chores around the house that might go up.

What you got?

Ludwig Classic Maple Fab definitely hits the sweet spot at $2,750:

Amazon.com: Ludwig Classic Maple Fab 22 Shell Pack - Vintage Black Oyster :  Musical Instruments

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, surly drum afficionados.  I'm considering the purchase of a new 3-pc rock kit.  Probably 22" kick, rack tom (size TBD), and 16" floor tom.  

One line that appears to meet that standard is Ludwig Classic Maple.  DW is probably out, because butt ugly.  Other than that, I'm all ears.  Yamaha would get top consideration, as would Gretsch or Pearl.  Maybe Sonor.  

Price range would ideally fall between $2700 - $3200 but if I do enough chores around the house that might go up.

What you got?

Amazon.com: Ludwig Classic Maple Fab 22 Shell Pack - Vintage Black Oyster :  Musical Instruments

as someone who just went through this...i think you need to clarify a critical point on the budget.  is the $2,750 budget for just the 3 piece shell or is it all in with snare, cymbals, and hardware?

also,

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

DW is probably out, because butt ugly. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

What you got?
81IvTEDuliS.jpg

I’d go Yamaha, then Ludwig, then Sonor but the last is pricey. Gretsch are also great but I haven’t spent too much behind them and think Ludwig is their parallel but have the edge (no pun) on overall fit and finish and they have sharp wraps and finishes (since I seem to recall you prefer wraps).

Yamaha is - in my opinion - the gold standard for mid-pro and upward. Incredible sound and versatility and fit/finish. Their hardware is excellent. That said they aren’t the creative and expansive with range of finishes.

DW makes great drums but Pacific are just about as good, half the price…. They just don’t have every drummer in the world as an endorser and stratospheric marketing budget.

C&C also make really beautiful drums but that also might bump to a new budget level.

4 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I’d go Yamaha, then Ludwig, then Sonor but the last is pricey. Gretsch are also great but I haven’t spent too much behind them and think Ludwig is their parallel but have the edge (no pun) on overall fit and finish and they have sharp wraps and finishes (since I seem to recall you prefer wraps).

Yamaha is - in my opinion - the gold standard for mid-pro and upward. Incredible sound and versatility and fit/finish.

Feels like Gretsch Brooklyn is a little pricer than Ludwig Classic Maple.  Wrap or stain doesn't matter.  I don't tend to love the look of Sonor so if it's pricier, eh.  Yamaha definitely gets my motor going but their finishes are definitely a little on the pedestrian side. 

Feels like Gretsch Brooklyn is a little pricer than Ludwig Classic Maple.  Wrap or stain doesn't matter.  I don't tend to love the look of Sonor so if it's pricier, eh.  Yamaha definitely gets my motor going but their finishes are definitely a little on the pedestrian side. 

I mean - we should def talk about mine. I know you said brand new - but mine are brand new. Just pre owned. White marine pearl 13-16-22

13-16-22 is the size you should buy regardless

Appreciate it, but it's for my daughter.  I want her to have a pro kit and I want her to call the shots.  (Except DW.  I didn't let her go to A&M, either, although she didn't want to.)

If she'll entertain the idea of gently used, I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

Appreciate it, but it's for my daughter.  I want her to have a pro kit and I want her to call the shots.  (Except DW.  I didn't let her go to A&M, either, although she didn't want to.)
If she'll entertain the idea of gently used, I'll let you know. 

837f954a31789a3026947d660b799588.jpg
No worries.

They only saw the stage 10-15 times before he died. He had a bunch of other sets (as you know) that he rotated in. This was the only time they were at the continental club - and he wasn’t there.

Nice kit.  What are your thoughts on the different depths of kick drums; i.e., 22x14 versus 22x16 vs 22x18?

You know - I’m no a good enough drummer to really tell a huge difference. What was relayed to me was 1) faster and more responsive and 2) tone.

I’d have no problem with a 16” - but I have no desire for an 18” or bigger.

14” was/is the gold standard for years - and it would be easier for your daughter to transport.

Hal Blaine / Neil / Joe Morello / Buddy - all used 14”. But your daughter may like something different!

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

And DW is the butt-ugliest drum brand in history.  Ain't gonna happen.  Those lugs are awful.

while arguing about matters of highly subjective aesthetic taste on the internet may be the dumbest possible way to spend one's time imaginable, this take is so insane to me that i actually googled whether or not butch vig used a dw set while playing for garbage as a possible explanation.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thoughts on the Sonor:

-- those offset lugs on the snare and rack tom are weird

-- beech instead of maple?  not sure about that, we'd have to hear it in person

-- $1K more than the Ludwig Classic Maple?  is it actually better?

The only thing I know about drums is fuck maple.

That was just another option to consider. I’ve heard the vintage in person and I liked the sound better than a classic maple….but what’s important is what your daughter likes, not me. The other plus for the sonor to me is the uniqueness…..ludwig classic maples are pretty saturated. That sonor could set the band apart 

58 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

That sonor could set the band apart 

Eh, nobody pays attention to the drummer.

Outside of the bizarre paint job, does anybody know if Gretsch put these out as anything other than the "Renown 57" line?  She played this kit at KUTX for their "Studio 1A" series and absolutely loved the sound (and it was righteous).  I'm gonna try to get in touch with the KUTX engineers and find out more.

KUTX Engineer Jake Perlman's Most Memorable Sessions - KUTX

Edited by jimmyjazz

Where do y'all usually go to buy and sell drums and cymbals? I have an 8-piece TAMA Rockstar set, along with 17 cymbals, that I don't really get to play much anymore, and I'm considering selling it and replacing it with a small electronic set. I have no idea where to go to list it for sale, and while posting it online and trying to sell it nationally would get a lot more potential buyers, I have no idea how I would pack this thing up and ship it or how much that would even cost.

Any advice? Have y'all bought or sold used kits out of state, or do you just keep it local?

39 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Where do y'all usually go to buy and sell drums and cymbals? I have an 8-piece TAMA Rockstar set, along with 17 cymbals, that I don't really get to play much anymore, and I'm considering selling it and replacing it with a small electronic set. I have no idea where to go to list it for sale, and while posting it online and trying to sell it nationally would get a lot more potential buyers, I have no idea how I would pack this thing up and ship it or how much that would even cost.

Any advice? Have y'all bought or sold used kits out of state, or do you just keep it local?

That’s an entry level tama kit and it would cost way more to ship all those pieces than what it’s worth. You’d definitely need to sell it within local radius on like reverb (pickup only option) OR you could just go down to your local Guitarcenter and sell it to them for whatever you get.

Cymbals could be another story considering what you have….but if they’re entry level as well just deal with them locally as above

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, that was a virtual dead heat.  Tuned kinda low, though.

Those are RN2s are fuckn great. But they do come with 302s and my set was not square as I posted before with pics…..I swapped them all out for gretsch die cast and it sounds even better. That is my only complaint after 1 year of ownership (hard to believe a yr has passed). Every piece of hardware and the shells themselves are immaculate. The roundness of the shells and bearing edges are incredibly accurate. Taiwan assembly to boot. Maybe my out of round 302 hoops were a rarity, others mileage might vary

Where are you located?

I'm in South Austin. Circle C area.

That’s an entry level tama kit and it would cost way more to ship all those pieces than what it’s worth. You’d definitely need to sell it within local radius on like reverb (pickup only option) OR you could just go down to your local Guitarcenter and sell it to them for whatever you get.
Cymbals could be another story considering what you have….but if they’re entry level as well just deal with them locally as above

Cool, that's what I was thinking but it's good to get confirmation about that. The cymbals are of varying quality, but nothing super high end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Those are RN2s are fuckn great. But they do come with 302s and my set was not square as I posted before with pics…..I swapped them all out for gretsch die cast and it sounds even better. That is my only complaint after 1 year of ownership (hard to believe a yr has passed). Every piece of hardware and the shells themselves are immaculate. The roundness of the shells and bearing edges are incredibly accurate. Taiwan assembly to boot. Maybe my out of round 302 hoops were a rarity, others mileage might vary

How much were the new hoops?  Thinking 3-pc (rack tom, floor tom, kick drum) plus maybe a 2nd floor tom.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How much were the new hoops?  Thinking 3-pc (rack tom, floor tom, kick drum) plus maybe a 2nd floor tom.

16” $200 (99 each hoop)

14” $180 (89 each hoops)

10 or 12 $140 (69 each hoop)

Thats for genuine Gretsch….keep in mind they’re constantly sold out it seems…so it took me a while to get them all (I did 10 12 14 16)

You could go aftermarket like Gibraltar maybe save a smidge…..but real Gretsch die cast can be used on most any brand drum and they’re highly sought after

Kick drum wise there’s nothing to do….the RN2 kick drum will be perfect as is. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So $340-ish for the rack tom and floor tom.  Not terrible, a little painful.

No it’s not too bad…..and in the end, you really can create 2 unique sounds having multiple hoops. With the 302 hoops they’ll sound very much like Ludwig classic maple as that vid showed (or gretsch brooklyns)…..throw the die cast on it sounds very similar to a USA custom. Sometimes I experiment with a die cast on batter side and 302 reso side….and yup, another slightly different vibe about it. Fun to experiment

• Hook 'Em 1