Vehicle Maintenance/Gearhead Thread

Spur08

I swear there was a thread already on this topic here but I searched ever iteration and couldn't find it, so maybe I'm thinking about the old place.  Anyways, one of the few things I can easily do on my car is change the oil and I have been doing so for quite some time.  I've always used Mobil1 (purchased at Costco) and Purolator filters when changing the oil on my 2013 Tahoe.  I've just recently cross 100K miles.  At what point should I think about transitioning to a different type of oil (high mileage or any other type)?  Any need to think about different filters?

11 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I swear there was a thread already on this topic here but I searched ever iteration and couldn't find it, so maybe I'm thinking about the old place.  Anyways, one of the few things I can easily do on my car is change the oil and I have been doing so for quite some time.  I've always used Mobil1 (purchased at Costco) and Purolator filters when changing the oil on my 2013 Tahoe.  I've just recently cross 100K miles.  At what point should I think about transitioning to a different type of oil (high mileage or any other type)?  Any need to think about different filters?

Yea you should switch over to the HM oil. I am partial to Mobile1 products for my gassers. Shell T6 for my diesel. 

As far as the filter goes..imo the best filters are the Mobil 1 M1 extended performance filter and the Amsoil filter. The amsoil filter is pricey and is only sold through amsoil dealers. 

Keys to a good filter....

Efficiency.

Micron Size.

Filtering material.

Length of the filter.

22 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've always assumed the "high-mileage" deal was marketing bullshit. 

What exactly is the difference?  

It probably is.  But HM oils tend to be a higher viscosity and claim to have an additive package that's designed to help seal worn "interfaces" like piston rings, valves, and main seals.

• Like 1