Generic college football shenanigans thread

Loco

On 10/15/2018 at 9:00 PM, Parliament said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24990277/sec-fines-lsu-tigers-100k-fans-field-win-georgia-bulldogs

The Southeastern Conference has fined LSU $100,000 for fans rushing the field after the fifth-ranked Tigers topped then-No. 2 Georgia 36-16 over the weekend.

The league announced the fine Monday. It cited Saturday's incident as a second violation of the SEC's policy against fans on the field. The same thing occurred against Mississippi in 2014.

The SEC said fines collected against a school for violating the competition-area policy are deposited in the league's Post-Graduate Scholarship Fund.

That is SEC speak that they had to pay Alabama. 

Rather than start a thread for this, just going to post this here. The following is a post I created on r/cfb about a real issue that just came closer to reality as of this morning. If you are not too lazy, read it in full.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/9v36y6/could_new_alabama_state_amendment_lead_to_more/

For those too lazy to click...

I am writing this as a plea for your attention on a subject that could affect both the UAB Blazers football program and the University of Alabama public image. I believe between all the fans of college football here, we may be able to affect the outcome, with enough voices coming forth through social media. I will try to give as much detail as possible, within my knowledge of the subject and a few links to further info.

I know politics are not a normal subject for this sub and I do not wish to delve into any party bashing, either way, so please remain civil and do not partake in political views. This is about a simple issue which needs to be brought to light. Keep in mind, my fears may be unfounded but they are not without precedent. I doubt many of you are aware of the recently passed Amendment 3 from the 2018 Alabama Midterm elections. The following paragraph is the language used on the ballot.

“Relating to the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama, to specify that the congressional districts from which members are appointed continue to reflect those as constituted on January 1, 2018, to remove the State Superintendent of Education from membership, and to delete the requirement that members vacate office at the annual meeting of the board following their seventieth birthday.”

There may be issues with several parts of this passed amendment but the last line is the one of most concern. I am not sure if many of you kept up with the events surrounding the shutdown of the UAB football program, after the 2014 season. At the time it was shut down, the President of the UA Board of Trustees was Paul Bryant, Jr. They claimed that the program was losing money. Soon thereafter, Bryant turned 70 and was automatically removed from the Board of Trustees, as that was the rule then. Soon thereafter, an independent study found that UAB was not losing money on it's football program, it was turning a profit and it was soon reinstated. The UAB head coach at the time, Bill Clark, stayed through the entire fiasco and has done an admirable job there, making them bowl eligible in all three of his seasons, the one before the shutdown and the two since they restarted the program, basically starting from scratch.

This new amendment will allow Bryant back on the Board of Trustees, which I fully expect to happen ASAP. Both his name and the money he has donated to the UA program almost guarantees this will happen. I can not honestly speak to why he chose to shut down the UAB program, as I do not know his mind. I do know that a former UAB AD made some unflattering comments about his Father, Coach Bryant's former assistants. Many believe he has carried a grudge about this issue ever since.

If he truly does hold a grudge and is put back on the BOT, I fear he may go after the UAB football program again, without real cause. There was a lot of local, state and even national outcry, on sports websites, after that last time, much of it directed at the Capstone, even though it had nothing to do with the UA AD or it's employees. I fear if he does anything like this again, it will not only hurt the UAB program but also the public image of the UA program.

My hope in this is that you will use your social media, letter writing skills, sexy phone voice, etc to prevent this from happening. Keep in mind, the UA AD and those who work for it are not the ones doing this, it is those who run the entire University of Alabama system(UA, UAB, UAH). Please be courteous in any communications. I hope enough of you see the potential injustice here and feel strongly enough to reach out. If you do not feel the need to do anything else, at least educate yourself on this issue, so that any news that may come from this will go to informed eyes/ears.

I have included a few links below with more information about this issue.

Voters Guide, pre-election, scroll down to Amendment 3 for info

Program shut down after 2014 season

Back from the dead

History of UAB Athletics and the UABOT

All of the above is written by a lifelong Bama fan and Tide Pride season ticket holder. One who worries about the UABOT overstepping it's bounds again, to the detriment of the UAB program and the backlash towards the UA program.

25 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I mean Devin White didn't play in the Under Armour game because he put his penis in a 14 year old. Didn't I say we weren't going to talk about his rapey tendencies?

Was he 17 at the time?  (not that it matters or anything, just wondering how that kept him out of the UA game)  

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 1