Randy Edsall's contract incentives

Beau Vine

This is a couple of weeks old, but I searched and didn't see it...

Can you imagine if Alabama talked to Nick Saban about receiving incentives like this?

As far as if Edsall has earned any of these incentives just yet, well, UConn has a win over Rhode Island, so there’s an extra $10k! Also during that game, he got an extra $2,000 for his team scoring first, and leading at halftime and in total offense. His salary is just over $1 million, which isn’t cheap, but that extra $16,000 certainly isn’t bad to have, although you’d think it’s be more than that, right?

As for some of those season incentives, well, his team is currently dead last in scoring defense, allowing 53 points per game, and the offense is only at 21.6 points per game.

Saturday, UConn lost to UMass, but Edsall picked up $4K for his team scoring first and leading at halftime.

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a couple of weeks old, but I searched and didn't see it...

Saturday, UConn lost to UMass, but Edsall picked up $4K for his team scoring first and leading at halftime.

Someone should put a youtube viedo together of Uconn highlights at the end of the year with a running tab for Edsall at the bottom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 903Cougar said:

How?

After UConn lost to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl Edsall made Jordan Todman stand up in front of his teammates and tell them that he intended to go to the NFL, and not use all of his eligibility. BUT, when Edsall had decided to take the Maryland job he didn't have the guts to tell his team in person. He didn't have the balls to fly back to Storrs with the team. He instead took a flight to Maryland to accept the Maryland job. 

He later told his team via a conference call, or text. Some heard about it from the media.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

After UConn lost to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl Edsall made Jordan Todman stand up in front of his teammates and tell them that he intended to go to the NFL, and not use all of his eligibility. BUT, when Edsall had decided to take the Maryland job he didn't have the guts to tell his team in person. He didn't have the balls to fly back to Storrs with the team. He instead took a flight to Maryland to accept the Maryland job. 

He later told his team via a conference call, or text. Some heard about it from the media.

As my mother would say:  "That's shitty!"

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Interested to see how those inventives could impact wagering on uconn

I don't know about wagering, but the could certainly impact how he manages games. 

His team is dogshit right now.  He gets a bonus of $10K if his team points allowed per game is below 30; they're nowhere close to that.  He gets a bonus of $20K if his team points scored per game is 25+; he's at 22 ppg.  If his team gets way behind, he's got a $20K incentive to score as much as he can -- don't punt, go for it on 4th down, keep the offensive starters in, pull the defensive starters, etc.  

He gets a $2K bonus for leading at the half.  Let's say he's down 13-10 in the final minute of the second quarter, and it's 4th and goal from the 1.  He's going to kick the FG?

These kind of incentives would be illegal in Major League Baseball contracts for those kind of reasons.

The UConn AD is apparently staffed by morons.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't know about wagering, but the could certainly impact how he manages games. 

His team is dogshit right now.  He gets a bonus of $10K if his team points allowed per game is below 30; they're nowhere close to that.  He gets a bonus of $20K if his team points scored per game is 25+; he's at 22 ppg.  If his team gets way behind, he's got a $20K incentive to score as much as he can -- don't punt, go for it on 4th down, keep the offensive starters in, pull the defensive starters, etc.  

He gets a $2K bonus for leading at the half.  Let's say he's down 13-10 in the final minute of the second quarter, and it's 4th and goal from the 1.  He's going to kick the FG?

These kind of incentives would be illegal in Major League Baseball contracts for those kind of reasons.

The UConn AD is apparently staffed by morons.  

Yep, incentives should be limited to wins and championships.

He gets a $2K bonus for scoring first.  

I can't believe I looked this up, but they are 1-for-8 in opening game coin tosses.  

1. The one time they won, they elected to receive.  Hmmmm.  That's odd.  
  2. How can you go 1-for-8 in coin tosses?  I guess actually 0-for-4 in road games when the UConn captain is making the call? 

"UConn captain, call it in the air..."

"POTATO!!!" 

"You have chosen potato.  The coin is tails.  Syracuse, what is your choice?" 

"We defer." 

Randy Edsall celebrates.  "Coach why do we always choose potato?  How about trying heads or tails next time?"

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

so your concern is that the incentive would cause him to coach correctly, instead of like your average risk-averse assclown coach?

• 4 weeks later...

Good job, good effort!

UConn on Saturday secured a distinction it would rather ignore: worst defense in FBS history.

The Huskies set FBS single-season records for points allowed (605) and yards allowed (7,409) during their game against visiting Temple. They entered Saturday's finale 24 points shy of tying the previous single-season FBS record for most points allowed, set by East Carolina with 572 in 2010. Temple had 27 points midway through the second quarter and 40 in the first half, winning in a rout 57-7.

Kansas previously held the single-season FBS record for most yards per game allowed with 560.83 in 2015. The Huskies allowed 290 yards in the first half against Temple and 516 for the game, setting a record of 617.4.

The Huskies also eclipsed the record of 50.27 points per game allowed by Louisiana-Lafayette in 1997, surrendering 50.42 per game.

"All I know how to do is go find guys that want to be here, that want to give everything they've got," a fired-up coach Randy Edsall said after Saturday's game. "Because I ain't putting up with that. ... I ain't putting up with that any more."

"This game's too hard to play if you don't love it, and if you don't love the grind, and if you don't like to be in that weight room and you don't like to be with teammates and you don't like to not let a teammate down -- you shouldn't play this game. Shouldn't play it," the UConn coach continued. "And that's what we've got to get. We've got to get guys that love the game, that want to pay the price each and every day in everything that they do, and get those guys that we had before that have a little chip on their shoulder, that haven't enabled and entitled, and that want to work, and understand what team is all about.

"That's what we've got to find. ... Because this game ain't for the weak of heart. It isn't. And we'll go find those guys."

UConn (1-11, 0-8) did not beat an FBS opponent this season or win an American Athletic Conference game. The Huskies also went winless in conference play for the first time since it went 0-4 in the Yankee Conference in 1954.

UConn's defense has been scrutinized all season. In late September, Edsall ended a news conference early when asked about the status of defensive coordinator Bill Crocker.

The Huskies entered Saturday's season finale ranked last (129th) in the FBS in rush yards allowed, net yards per pass attempt and average yards margin. They finished the season allowing 335 rushing yards per game, 10.69 yards per pass attempt and with an average yards margin of minus-239.

• Like 1