Moving Question

Ok guys and gals.   We are thinking about moving from the Corpus area up to the Austin/ San Antonio area.  We spend alot of time in the Hill Country, San Antonio,  and Austin anyway, so why not make it permanent?     Fortunately my wife has a job right now  she can pretty much take anywhere with her as long as a high speed internet connection is available and I am currently seeking a similar job or at least one where I can home office and travel.   The move probably won't happen until 2020 so we can let our daughter finish 8th grade and start high school some where new.  Our oldest might be attending Grad School at McCombs by that time as well if he's accepted.   

We want to be close enough to Austin for UT sports and entertainment, but not in Austin per se.   That's why the area between San Antonio and Austin seems ideal.    My wife seems to like San Marcos for some reason (probably the damn outlets) ,  but I am not completely sold on it.  I''m more along the lines of Dripping Springs, Wimberley or even closer to SA in Bullverde.  

Criteria for home is somewhere in the 300k to 400k range.  Small school district is preferable (5A or below) , but not required.    So you all that live in the region, let me know the pros and cons 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Ok guys and gals.   We are thinking about moving from the Corpus area up to the Austin/ San Antonio area.  We spend alot of time in the Hill Country, San Antonio,  and Austin anyway, so why not make it permanent?     Fortunately my wife has a job right now  she can pretty much take anywhere with her as long as a high speed internet connection is available and I am currently seeking a similar job or at least one where I can home office and travel.   The move probably won't happen until 2020 so we can let our daughter finish 8th grade and start high school some where new.  Our oldest might be attending Grad School at McCombs by that time as well if he's accepted.   

We want to be close enough to Austin for UT sports and entertainment, but not in Austin per se.   That's why the area between San Antonio and Austin seems ideal.    My wife seems to like San Marcos for some reason (probably the damn outlets) ,  but I am not completely sold on it.  I''m more along the lines of Dripping Springs, Wimberley or even closer to SA in Bullverde.  

Criteria for home is somewhere in the 300k to 400k range.  Small school district is preferable (5A or below) , but not required.    So you all that live in the region, let me know the pros and cons 

Given the well established rules of this place, the least you could do is provide a link to the cam show. 

I'm out towards Dripping and love it.  Schools out there are great and more and more businesses are moving out that way as well so you don't have to drive to Austin to shop or get good food.

They are going to be building a ton of new houses out that way though, so it may not be what you are looking for.  Traffic is going to increase a lot, but the freeway being extended past the Y in Oak Hill will help.  

• Like 1

It's been three or four years since I've been up in the  immediate Dripping Springs  area.   I like it and back then you could see the growth out there.    Has it really picked up since then?  We will have to make it a priority to explore if we go up to Austin in January or February.  

I love Blanco.  That is an option for sure.    

East of I-35, you just don't get the Hill Country feel as you do west of it for obvious reasons.   But as noted, you probably pay the price for it.  And that's OK because I hope this will be long term deal.  

I asume your kid will be living in Austin to go to school rather than living with you? I guess I would also want more specifics about what is drawing you northward.  Do you have family in San Antonio you feel you need to be close to? When you are you coming to Austin for Sports and entertainment, I assume you are staying in hotels for most of these events? If you were closer would the costs of hotels be offset by being closer to Austin proper?

If it were me I would likely be looking at school districts and specific high schools, as my primary area of research.  If, and this might be a big IF, your son was willing to live with you then I might add the NW portion of Austin or even Cedar Park into the equation.  Westwood, Vista Ridge or McNeal as schools for your daughter.  There are still sub-$400K houses available the feeder areas. I also might suggest a sooner move, even though your daughter might dislike it.  Simply as I think as tough as Middle school is ( I call it the purest form of Darwinism) I think at least having a few friends coming into high school and the summer leading into high school might be a better option. Just my opinion though.

San Marcos is a good middle and the town is starting to grow up. New Braunfels is one of the hotter markets as folks are tying to get a decent lifestyle and still commute into San Antonio. Ditto for Bulverde area. Dripping Springs checks a lot of the boxes if you perfer a more rural lifestyle.  Simply as the ability to shop and go to restaurants is still somewhat limited. Again I would be doing research on the quality of your daughter's high school as my primary source of narrowing choices!!!

The reason I mentioned NW Austin is that it also checks a lot of your boxes and the access to Austin's light rail line offer some neat options of going downtown for entertainment and sporting events without needing to spring for a Hotel to really enjoy yourself? Now again I am biased as I went to the Continental Club Monday, The Domain area restaurant and bar hopping riday  Roaring Fork Saturday, and am going to head back downtown to Threadgills for what I think is their final weekend.  Now if you need access to SA or Corpus then south is the way to go.  But I Like NW Austin more and more as the Domain has brought a lot more compact partying opportunities at bars and restaurants as short dive or Uber away.

Basically if you want to party in Austin and you don't have family needs to be out of Austin simply take the leap and go all in. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I asume your kid will be living in Austin to go to school rather than living with you? I guess I would also want more specifics about what is drawing you northward.  Do you have family in San Antonio you feel you need to be close to? When you are you coming to Austin for Sports and entertainment, I assume you are staying in hotels for most of these events? If you were closer would the costs of hotels be offset by being closer to Austin proper?

If it were me I would likely be looking at school districts and specific high schools, as my primary area of research.  If, and this might be a big IF, your son was willing to live with you then I might add the NW portion of Austin or even Cedar Park into the equation.  Westwood, Vista Ridge or McNeal as schools for your daughter.  There are still sub-$400K houses available the feeder areas. I also might suggest a sooner move, even though your daughter might dislike it.  Simply as I think as tough as Middle school is ( I call it the purest form of Darwinism) I think at least having a few friends coming into high school and the summer leading into high school might be a better option. Just my opinion though.

San Marcos is a good middle and the town is starting to grow up. New Braunfels is one of the hotter markets as folks are tying to get a decent lifestyle and still commute into San Antonio. Ditto for Bulverde area. Dripping Springs checks a lot of the boxes if you perfer a more rural lifestyle.  Simply as the ability to shop and go to restaurants is still somewhat limited. Again I would be doing research on the quality of your daughter's high school as my primary source of narrowing choices!!!

The reason I mentioned NW Austin is that it also checks a lot of your boxes and the access to Austin's light rail line offer some neat options of going downtown for entertainment and sporting events without needing to spring for a Hotel to really enjoy yourself? Now again I am biased as I went to the Continental Club Monday, The Domain area restaurant and bar hopping riday  Roaring Fork Saturday, and am going to head back downtown to Threadgills for what I think is their final weekend.  Now if you need access to SA or Corpus then south is the way to go.  But I Like NW Austin more and more as the Domain has brought a lot more compact partying opportunities at bars and restaurants as short dive or Uber away.

Basically if you want to party in Austin and you don't have family needs to be out of Austin simply take the leap and go all in. 

Thanks for your take on this.

I don't know if my oldest  son will be living with us, but I'm going hedge he won't.  He's  the kind of kid who digs  downtown Austin , enjoys the  campus life,  and he'll be looking for a job at the same time.  And he will find a way to accomplish it which is a  lighter burden on my expense ledger as he's done through his undergrad years right now at UTSA.    Yes we have some family  and close friends in SA and the surrounding areas going towards Boerne, but it's not absolute  we must to be closer to SA for that reason.  But  my inlaws and other family members on her side will still be in the Corpus area.  And the inlaws are getting up in age and have no plans relocating.   My younger son who is graduating from High School in the spring might be going to UTSA, but he's not 100% sure on that.  

I have thought about the NW part of Austin and the areas you noted.  My daughter is big into  music and the Cedar Park schools have some good band programs as well as the academic part of the equation.  And that light rail thing you note is a good thing and I had totally forgot about that angle.

All good stuff to take into consideration.