Judge dismisses case against Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and his sons

bernorange

I'm sure Mizzou415 (or whatever his new Surly name is) will be pleased...

Navarro rebuked federal prosecutors — using the words “flagrant” and “reckless” to describe how they withheld evidence from the defense — before saying “that the universal sense of justice has been violated” and dismissing the charges.
Navarro ... shredded the government for a “reckless disregard for Constitutional obligations.” She said she was troubled by the prosecution's tardiness in delivering information about the government's placing of surveillance cameras and snipers outside the ranch.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-bundy-mistrial-2018-story.html

15 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Our federal law enforcement and prosecutors screwed something up in an attempt to slam dunk their case.....

We had a thread on the old site about this topic and my memory of it is a bit hazy, but I seem to recall that the charges being brought accused the Bundy's of provoking/escalating things and they were claiming that they were reacting to govco's marshalling of snipers and cameras (or something to that effect).  The fact that govco actually did deploy snipers and cameras (first) was kind of a pivotal/essential fact.

I am not that familiar with this case, and the linked article was terrible in laying out the basic facts and legal questions.  

Also,

28 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

It would be nice to see the hundreds of thousands of people of color who have been equally victimized by prosecutors similarly benefit. Unfortunately they'll just get told by judges that the error was harmless and to kindly go fuck themselves.

I see you Mizzou.