What do you use for curry?

Asithappens

I buy paste. Mae Ploy brand. Love the green curry version. Red curry isn't too bad, either. The Tom Kha soup base is awesome.

I don't think I'll ever make my own. (hang head in shame) Not when I can get the above stuff.

So, I do prefer the Thai curry over the Indian kind. 

Now that I've got that off my chest, what about coconut milk? I go with Aroy-D. Oh, the benefits of living near a chinaman grocery store. Or should I call it oriental?

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I go into the Indian market and wander into the curry spice mix aisle. There are usually several dozen brands of various types of curry mix. You want vindaloo? You've got about 15 different ones to choose from. Mutton masala? Chicken? Vegetables? Same thing. How the fuck are you supposed to decide? Once a store employee came over and offered to recommend one, but I didn't really have a specific idea of what I was looking for, so I didn't take him up on it. Probably a mistake; all the times I have been looking for a recommendation, nobody is available.

Anyhow, I've tried a bunch of different ones, basically picking one at random or by the picture on the box, and they've all been pretty good. They usually call for a number of other ingredients and cooking them is not much different from doing a similar dish from scratch.

And coconut milk. Coconut cream is for sweet fruity drinks, umbrella optional.

Edited by Bat Guano

21 hours ago, Deej said:

Vermont curry? Made with the loving craftsmanship of these guys?

4a6d36c2f02d727965c8799a285e0925.jpg

Right time period, but not exactly.  Apparently there was a Dr. from Vermont that was pushing "honegar" as a cure-all in the 70s.  Yep, apple cider vinegar and honey.  Apparently this caught on in Japan, so when an apple and honey flavored curry product was made, Vermont curry seemed an appropriate name.  Either way, it was pretty tasty, but a little too mild for my taste.  I'll cook it again, but I'll try the med-hot variety next time.  Tasted great for lunch today too.  A serving plus some cooked brown rice only ran about 440 calories too, which is very diet friendly while still being filling.