Man Murders Wife: 'I guess I don't have to worry about a divorce now'

phdhorn

Man charged with wife's murder reportedly tells police, 'I guess I don't have to worry about a divorce now'

2a6a6ae0-c8e6-11e7-9cff-7328f6356b24_312296a0-9f06-11e7-9020-e3519abe6e23_LOGO.jpg
Elise Solé
Yahoo Lifestyle February 12, 2019

b693bbe7f0471844ff3ceb8ff300a831

A man charged with murdering his wife told police“I guess I don’t have to worry about a divorce now,” according to the criminal complaint filed Monday.

The Twin Cities Pioneer Press reported that police said Matthew Lynn Jansen, 46, shot and killed his wife Mary Jo Jansen, 46, in their Blaine, Minn., home on Friday. 

A criminal complaint from the Anoka County Attorney’s Office sent to Yahoo Lifestyle says Jansen admitted the crime to a 911 operator and that his gun was unloaded and in his home. 

Officers found Mary Jo Jansen lying on the floor of her upstairs bedroom shot in the neck and chest, and located the handgun on the steps of the home. An empty gun case was also found in Jansen’s truck and a February receipt for the Smith & Wesson .44. 

View image on Twitter

The Anoka County Attorney's Office today charged Matthew Lynn Jansen with 2nd degree intentional murder for the shooting death of his wife. The criminal complaint is posted here: https://www.anokacounty.us/1400/Criminal-Complaint-Search 

Relatives told police that Mary Jo had filed for divorce in November, but that the couple still lived together, although she planned to move out on Saturday. They also said there was an “incident” with firearms at the home in December. “Family members said they had removed firearms from the home and the defendant after an incident in December,” the complaint read.

Jansen is charged with second-degree murder and bail was set at $1 million. His court date is March 18.

Police said that while Jansen was being arrested, he told them, “I can’t believe I did it — I guess I don’t have to worry about a divorce now.”