MB/sec to Mbps How's my speed?

If I'm transferring files from a spinning hard drive in a PC with a gigabyte NIC via CAT5e to a gigabyte switch via CAT5e to another gigabyte NIC and finally a spinning hard drive, is 70MB/sec average?  A quick online calculator says 70MB/sec equals 560Mbps.  So, am I transferring files at 560Mbps over a gigabyte LAN?

You have a gigabyte or gigabit connection? I assume gigabit, as standards are gigabit and 10 gigabit.  In that case you're getting half the potential speed of the network in a spinning disk to spinning disk transfer, which is pretty good? Also, file size is pretty important in determining transfer speed. Even high end solid state drives aren't going to hit high speeds if you're dealing with a bunch of small files. 

Yes, you are transferring ~550 megabit per second across your gigabit network.

The likely culprit is both of your HDDs. In the end, they are the bottleneck in this situation as they are slower read/write speeds than your NIC. You should look at the speeds of those to determine if this seems reasonable.

Edited by Captain Ron