The Iron Orchard

Pretty good indie flick. I thought it was a beautiful expression of West Texas and the oil & gas business. The stock footage at the end gave me the feels. If you want to help the Texas film industry, go see it. 

Some other observations: 

- Some little E&P and oilfield services companies invested in the film. 

- They shot 50% of the film if not more, at the Hotel Settles in Big Spring. It's also where they had the wrap party. Beautiful hotel. I've stayed there a few times, and I won't stay anywhere else when I'm in the Permian Basin. Historic rooms, nice pool. The chow is really good too. 

- No idea why it's rated R. No bewbs, not much violence, not much cursing. Did the filmmakers ask for a R rating? I'm not saying you can take your kids, but you could definitely take your teenagers. 

- Giant is a better movie, but this one is much more realistic and gritty. 

- It's amazing you could start an O&G company with a few thousand dollars back then. 

For the lazy, from IMDB

"

The Iron Orchard" is the story of Jim McNeely, a young man thrust into the vibrant and brutal West Texas oilfields in 1939, who works his way through the ranks to ultimately become a formidable wildcatter.

We really should implement a policy of including a brief summary or something for posts about movies or shows with no trailer posted.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_iron_orchard

Here is an enigma-check out the critics ratings vs the audience.  All of the critics sound like arrogant douche bags trying to impress each other with why this isn't worthy to be viewed.  Glad I don't always listen to the critics, especially since my father was working for Standard Oil during this time as a floor hand.  Going to see it and let the critics eat Bevo cakes.

48 minutes ago, pch said:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_iron_orchard

Here is an enigma-check out the critics ratings vs the audience.  All of the critics sound like arrogant douche bags trying to impress each other with why this isn't worthy to be viewed.  Glad I don't always listen to the critics, especially since my father was working for Standard Oil during this time as a floor hand.  Going to see it and let the critics eat Bevo cakes.

Well at least Variety liked it.