Molly Ivins

tigol

Molly had these huge open parties at her house and I was fortunate to attend several of them back in the early 2000s. They were a blast. Met a lot of awesome, creative people, including Bud Shrake and Gary Cartwright. Never met Dan Jenkins, though.  Ann Richards was said to have attended a few of them earlier, but that was before my time and I never met her. Molly never worried about anybody bringing the wrong sort of friends and nobody ever did. 

• Like 2

I thought she was funny and loved her Texas take on things.

I did not always agree with her, but could always appreciate her perspective.  She kept things real, if you will.

Straight off with Letterman she stretches the truth about her background to give herself more credibility as a homespun commentator.

I always got a strong reading on my BS meter when I read her newspaper column pieces.  She tried too hard to sound folksy Texas and blue collar when she really wasn't at all.   

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Straight off with Letterman she stretches the truth about her background to give herself more credibility as a homespun commentator.

I always got a strong reading on my BS meter when I read her newspaper column pieces.  She tried too hard to sound folksy Texas and blue collar when she really wasn't at all.   

Eh, she wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

She didn't come across like that to me. She was a treasure and we could use her today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Molly had these huge open parties at her house and I was fortunate to attend several of them back in the early 2000s. They were a blast.

She lived a couple of blocks away from me.  We weren't "friends" but I got a few chances to chat with her -- she always seemed sharp, with a razor wit.

• Like 1

I like the story about the time she was working for the New York Times as a western states reporter and was writing about a New Mexico town that had a tradition of getting together for an annual event of partying and slaughtering and cleaning their chickens for everyone to take home. She tried to call it a "Gang Pluck", mostly to make the copy editor laugh.  That pissed off her uptight senior editor and he called her to task and that is when she knew that the gig there was up.  She may have affected some of her down home Texas colloquialism to further her reporting and appeal but she was whip smart and a fucking smart ass in the best sense of the word and the world is better with people like that in it.

• Like 2