Bulk dried chile peppers

jimmyjazz

We want to do some wreaths and spice blends for gifts this year to send out to family & friends around the country.  Where would one buy bulk dried chiles (ancho, chipotle, guajillo and the like) in the Austin area or maybe south around San Antonio?  Fiesta seems to be priced as well as any, although they don't have chipotles in bulk (but they do have ~ 1 lb bags).  

Actually, Fiesta is priced better than all the mail order shops I've found, not even accounting for shipping, and that's looking at 25 lb prices, which is quite a bit more than I need of each pepper.  Fiesta doesn't have a minimum.

It just feels like there should be a roadside stand somewhere . . . my inner (and outer) gringo is not letting me find the mother lode. 

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We want to do some wreaths and spice blends for gifts this year to send out to family & friends around the country.  Where would one buy bulk dried chiles (ancho, chipotle, guajillo and the like) in the Austin area or maybe south around San Antonio?  Fiesta seems to be priced as well as any, although they don't have chipotles in bulk (but they do have ~ 1 lb bags).  

Actually, Fiesta is priced better than all the mail order shops I've found, not even accounting for shipping, and that's looking at 25 lb prices, which is quite a bit more than I need of each pepper.  Fiesta doesn't have a minimum.

It just feels like there should be a roadside stand somewhere . . . my inner (and outer) gringo is not letting me find the mother lode. 

There are huge bins worth of them, loose, at La Finca at Lamar and Rundberg area.  Haven't priced them vs. Fiesta, but I've bought them there.  I THINK they have loose chipotles, but I'm not sure -- I usually buy mine in the can, with the adobo sauce.  

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks . . . that's new to me.  I work pretty close, though, I'll check it out.

They also sell a fresh, pre-made green jalapeno sauce that is better than dona sauce.  I'm addicted.  I've poured it over crumbled tortilla chips and eaten the whole mess with a spoon.  I may have a problem.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There are huge bins worth of them, loose, at La Finca at Lamar and Rundberg area.  Haven't priced them vs. Fiesta, but I've bought them there.  I THINK they have loose chipotles, but I'm not sure -- I usually buy mine in the can, with the adobo sauce.  

Any of the multitude of little Mexican groceries in the Rundberg area, actually.

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

ah thanks JJ, I love to get this in the mail, this stuff is hard to find up here on Long Island

I went by the new "farmer's market" that used to Canino's here in Houston last weekend and I thought of this thread. There were numerous stalls piled high with dried peppers of various kinds. It was beautiful. I know that doesn't help the OP except to look for Latin flavored spice shop or carniceria. I don't know about Hipsterville, but I'd bet SA is full of them.

I make a quarterly trip to El Rancho Mercado at 183 and Ohlen Road.  Guajillos, ancho, chipotle meco, chipotle morita, pasilla, and seasonal supply of pequin.  They have bins of dried peppers and on the end of aisle near produce, they have peppers in large bags that I find fresher for guajillo and ancho.

Their marinated skirt steak absolutely kicks ten kinds of ass too.

• Like 1