Hindsight is 20/20- The 2019-20 Texas Longhorns thread

Goo Punch

• 2 weeks later...

Well then you don't know enough about the hoops prowess of UAB and California Baptist in one season.  

Yeah, this is...for a number of reasons...gonna be the worst UT basketball season in decades.  And that's really saying something. . 

20 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Who or what the fuck is a Big 12 Now?

It's ESPN's third tier TV deal with the B12.  To see anything on B12 NOW you have to subscribe to ESPN+.  Aquiring the 3rd tier TV rights helped entice ESPN to pay for The B12 Championship Games for football and basketball.  

See articles below for more info:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/10/18304989/big-12-espn-digital-rights-deal-money-paywalls

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-big-12-streaming-championship-game-pricing.html

Edited by LTtxfan

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

this guy continues to be a clueless fucking buffoon who doesn't know how to do anything other than spit one meaningless platitude after another. such a fucking beating listening to this guy speak without actually saying anything at all. he has zero fucking clue. none. I don't understand how a guy can coach under Billy Donovan for years, only to have zero in the way of basketball acumen. all he has are his repetitive, meaningless sayings that have nothing to do with anything.

man i can't wait for this fucking nightmare to be over with. watching Shaka fight to overcome his brilliant assistants and their actual knowledge and coaching ability is going to be a special kind of hell this year. i can't wait to see the new ways we discover to lose close games, only to have Shaka explain that "we didn't have enough  great tomorrows this week" to beat Oklahoma State and that we need to have better tomorrows next week if we want to beat Baylor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

THIS. MEANS. NOTHING. Shaka- you are not a counselor, you are not a psychotherapist, you are basketball coach. a basketball coach who gets paid millions of dollars to - HELLO - coach basketball! His every idea and solution is about some sort of abstract personal growth, and never about what this player can/will/needs to do as a basketball player. That is why his players have all made the same mistakes and had the same shortcoming year after year after year. Shaka's dime store wisdom, campfire songs, and bedtime stories in the dorm rooms are not going to make anyone better at basketball, yet here we are going into his fifth year and that's still all he has. 

Matt Coleman doesn't need to be uncomfortable and have a great tomorrow, the motherfucker needs to step the fuck up and play like the PG he's supposed to be. High School All American, FIBA gold medal winner on a team full of NBA studs, and Shaka's hand picked savior of the program, the dude needs to grow the fuck up and start playing like the "started 71/71 games" veteran that he is. No more going missing for weeks at a time, no more games where he has no impact, you are the driver of the fucking bus and you need to be a player who can be counted on to bring the same high level of play night in and night out. period. At this point in his career he should be making the All Conference team no problem. Coach this motherfucker up and then demand the most out of him. It's only your job you talentless hack.

47 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

this guy continues to be a clueless fucking buffoon who doesn't know how to do anything other than spit one meaningless platitude after another. such a fucking beating listening to this guy speak without actually saying anything at all. he has zero fucking clue. none. I don't understand how a guy can coach under Billy Donovan for years, only to have zero in the way of basketball acumen. all he has are his repetitive, meaningless sayings that have nothing to do with anything.

man i can't wait for this fucking nightmare to be over with. watching Shaka fight to overcome his brilliant assistants and their actual knowledge and coaching ability is going to be a special kind of hell this year. i can't wait to see the new ways we discover to lose close games, only to have Shaka explain that "we didn't have enough  great tomorrows this week" to beat Oklahoma State and that we need to have better tomorrows next week if we want to beat Baylor. 

He didn’t spend years under Donovan. 

On 8/22/2019 at 3:21 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

I believe Yaklich specializes in a version of the pack line defense that Virginia runs and Tech has run over the past few years with Chris Beard.  Like @Goo Punchhas mentioned on here before, our team has graded out reasonably well analytically over the past couple seasons,  but we're missing out on the intangibles of guts and guile.  This is exemplified by our paltry rebounding numbers throughout Shaka's tenure.  I'm certain that outside of an improved defense Yaklich's biggest impact will exhibit itself in that specific area. 

Tech's defense involves denying the paint at all costs & forcing things baseline, then aggressively sending help defenders to swarm the ballhandler. They will often line up with their bodies nearly parallel to the sidelines to deny the middle of the floor. Yaklich's Michigan defense was much more of a straight-up man defense with relatively little switching and help defenders coming as late as humanly possible (if at all). There are significant differences between the two.

Jordan Sperber did a solid primer on the differences between the two in his preview of their Sweet Sixteen game:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Tech's defense involves denying the paint at all costs & forcing things baseline, then aggressively sending help defenders to swarm the ballhandler. They will often line up with their bodies nearly parallel to the sidelines to deny the middle of the floor. Yaklich's Michigan defense was much more of a straight-up man defense with relatively little switching and help defenders coming as late as humanly possible (if at all). There are significant differences between the two.

Jordan Sperber did a solid primer on the differences between the two in his preview of their Sweet Sixteen game:

I guess I was entirely wrong. How does Tech's defense differ from Virginia's?